Multiplat Day Z

Remove this Banner Ad

So, for complete ARMAII novices like me, can someone give us a rundown/sales pitch?

What are the controls like?
What's the UI like? Is it difficult to get used to/learning curve?
How is it online? Trouble finding a server?

this looks awesome
if only it was console :(

there's such a massive landscape for growth too. IMO the zombies should be slowed down, but players should also be slowed by weapons, how much extra stuff they're carrying, injuries, fatigue from running/physical exertion (eg melee when it gets introduced) etc. so even if the zombies seem easy to deal with when you're healthy, it gets intense as you encounter more trouble. imagine using up all your energy to deal with a group of zombies, only to have 1 last guy appear out of nowhere to attack you when you've got an injured leg and no energy or ammo. the slowest chase would ensue and it would be EPIC

this looks awesome
if only it was console :(

My thoughts exactly......until I decided "**** it" and blew $1500 on a new gaming PC :eek::cool:

Can't wait to get it on Thurs and play the s**t outta this game all weekend.

there's such a massive landscape for growth too. IMO the zombies should be slowed down, but players should also be slowed by weapons, how much extra stuff they're carrying, injuries, fatigue from running/physical exertion (eg melee when it gets introduced) etc. so even if the zombies seem easy to deal with when you're healthy, it gets intense as you encounter more trouble. imagine using up all your energy to deal with a group of zombies, only to have 1 last guy appear out of nowhere to attack you when you've got an injured leg and no energy or ammo. the slowest chase would ensue and it would be EPIC

This. If you read a couple of recent interviews with the mod's creator (I posted one earlier), he makes it very clear that this mod is an experiment and shall continue to be treated as one. It's still very much in the Alpha phase so there's plenty of time for all this sort of stuff to be implemented later...Apparently dogs are rumored to be the next major addition to the game.

A mod for ARMA II has recently made ARMA one of the most bought games on steam and other PC game stores 3 years after it's pretty lacklustre release. That mod is called "Day Z" and it represents what many gamers (including myself) have been searching for in zombie games for years.

You spawn in a gigantic persistent world complete with zombies and 50 other players with a 24 hour day/night cycle. If you change servers/log out when you join a server again you will appear where you last were with all your items. Scrounge items, kill animals for food, drink water, bandage your wounds, conserve ammo and make a decision to team up with other players, double cross them or hunt them to take their gear.

You know a game is realistic when if you haven't found a compass you look up at the night sky to find North and voice/text chat can only be heard by those nearby (if chat is set to that feature) and gives away your position.

More info:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/12/f...g-download-day-z-arma-2s-zombie-survival-mod/

EDIT: The game has exploded and servers are constantly full all over the globe. Aussie ones are particularly overflowing and wait times can be > 1 hour because there are so few servers. With the deaths of other bigfooty game servers (correct call killing them) is there a possible opening for a bigfooty funded server(s) for this mod? It isn't showing any signs of slowing and the population is continuing to skyrocket.

If we can get one going, I'm up for it.

Re: Day Z - Most amazing zombie survival game ever.

Thank you OP, i've checked it out, looks amazing, just purchased ArmA 2: Combined Operations for $30 on steam, now waiting for them to download. I hope i can get this DayZ mod working, because it's the only reason i purchased ArmA :)

Looks to be the perfect open-world zombie survival game.

Thank you OP, i've checked it out, looks amazing, just purchased ArmA 2: Combined Operations for $30 on steam, now waiting for them to download. I hope i can get this DayZ mod working, because it's the only reason i purchased ArmA :)

Looks to be the perfect open-world zombie survival game.

From - http://dayzwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_install_DayZ

Steam installation

1. Download both ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead through Steam.

2. Run the game once before proceeding.

3. Download DayZ Mod files. http://www.armafiles.info/dayz/

4. Make a folder named "@DayZ" in your Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead directory.

5. Inside "@DayZ" folder create another folder named "Addons". It should look like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\@DayZ\Addons

6. Unpack all DayZ Mod files in the "Addons" folder.

7. Go to Steam and right click Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, go to 'Properties', 'Set Launch Options', add "-mod=@dayz -nosplash" without quotes in the target line and click OK. You can find other launch options, like windowed mode here: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

8. Run Operation Arrowhead and select "Launch ARMA 2: Combined Operations" to play the game.

If everything is installed correctly you should see "@dayz" line under "ArmA 2" on the right side of the menu screen. Use the filter to find DayZ servers.

The question that really should be posed is why has nothing like this been made before?
This sort of realism in a zombie apocalypse, instead of going around with the aim of blowing zombies heads of it actually has substance. I suppose gaming companies try and go for re playability and storyline. This is so simple that people absolutely would flock to buy this on a console. Imagine how clean and crisp it would be on a console.

Hopefully this opens up a whole new zombie genre to the console. Something that should be added is the ability to make camps, hunt for food so your not reliant on killing other players if your out of it. There is just so much to work with here and you have to wonder why nothing like this has ever been made before.

Hopefully this opens up a whole new zombie genre to the console. Something that should be added is the ability to make camps, hunt for food so your not reliant on killing other players if your out of it. There is just so much to work with here and you have to wonder why nothing like this has ever been made before.

It doesn't have to stop at zombie games does it? What about, and this is just off the top of my head, an invasion by an army of some sort where the NPC's are the soldiers roaming the land in large groups trying to kill all the human controlled players. Players would have to form groups to fight back and stay alive, and like Day Z, include vehicles, food, bandages etc etc.

Even an alien invasion set in a big city... :D

But really, this mod has definitely opened the door...it's just a matter of whether a few companies will take the plunge now.

The question that really should be posed is why has nothing like this been made before?
This sort of realism in a zombie apocalypse, instead of going around with the aim of blowing zombies heads of it actually has substance. I suppose gaming companies try and go for re playability and storyline. This is so simple that people absolutely would flock to buy this on a console. Imagine how clean and crisp it would be on a console.
Because it's not Call of Duty.

Publishers would never take the risk.

This game looks awesome, I also wish it was on console.

I noticed two guys were running from one zombie, are there baseball bats, axes or anything like that to help you take down a small number? Damn those zombies are fast though, that would be a huge rush running from a massive horde of them.

There is a game codenamed class3 in development for the XBOX which sounds very similar to his. It seems to be only early in development so we may not see it until next gen.

http://undeadlabs.com/class3/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i was thinking. This game could change the future of zombie games or any other games for that matter.

The idea of going around, with limited ammo, limited food, not knowing who to trust, not knowing where the injected zombies, not knowing when you are going to die, it's all just to good to be true, you've got to play this game like you would in real life if you were in that situation. Add to that the fact that it is a massive open world game, it's the game i've been dreaming of for a long time.

There is a game codenamed class3 in development for the XBOX which sounds very similar to his. It seems to be only early in development so we may not see it until next gen.

http://undeadlabs.com/class3/

It's being released as an Xbox LIVE arcade game, so i doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as Day Z

It's being released as an Xbox LIVE arcade game, so i doubt it'll be anywhere near as good as Day Z
Don't discount the quality just because it's downloadable. But certainly won't be able to be as big as Day Z with the restrictions that Microsoft have on the size of their downloadable games.

Don't discount the quality just because it's downloadable. But certainly won't be able to be as big as Day Z with the restrictions that Microsoft have on the size of their downloadable games.

I'm not at all, i've downloaded I Am Alive and Minecraft from Arcade and both are very good games, but like you said, it won't be as big because of the restrictions it will have.

Interesting though, that new game Class3 is said to be open-world.

Just got chased by a horde of zombies and then I died. Couldnt see s**t because it was night time. :(

All the bullets, etc is done client side I believe. I.e. play on a US server at night in Australia as it will be daytime over there. You shouldn't lag.

Something that should be added is the ability to make camps, hunt for food so your not reliant on killing other players if your out of it. There is just so much to work with here and you have to wonder why nothing like this has ever been made before.

Hunting animals, skinning them, cooking them on a fire, etc is all in the game already. So is the ability to pitch tents where you can store large amounts of supplies.

That's no longer the case for a while now I think?

Shadow Complex being a couple of Gig was the first to break that from memory.

Edit : Checked only 2GB limit. Games on Demand doesn't have the same file system, why it's much larger.

Wonder if they're using FAT 32 on Live?

That's no longer the case for a while now I think?

Shadow Complex being a couple of Gig was the first to break that from memory.

Edit : Checked only 2GB limit. Games on Demand doesn't have the same file system, why it's much larger.

Wonder if they're using FAT 32 on Live?
No idea, Microsoft have a lot of weird policies that restrict things here and there (the DLC policy is probably the worst). Maybe it's a uploading cost issue (as they don't charge like Sony does for uploading their games).

I know Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light had issues with the limit, I think the game was about 4GB on PS3, but they had to do a shitload of compression to get it under 2GB on 360.

There was a game recently that had to move to Games on Demand because it went over the 2GB limit. Can't remember what though.

I wouldn't expect them to continue with a lot of their restrictions that they currently have, has definitely put off a lot of devs and publishers because of it.

Downloaded both, but they will not launch, comes up with a message "bad serial code" or whatever, and in the background on steam has error, "servers may be done".

Any help?

Actually would work as a downloadable online only game. Constant updates.

I downloaded a Wild West one on PS3 not long ago. It was online only like a free for all shoot 'em up. Was really surprised at the quality of graphics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back