Multiplat Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Remove this Banner Ad

You should remember that his game probably discourages typical run and gun fps gameplay, you might find it easier if you think of other ways to get through.

I learnt pretty quickly you can't run and gun, I try and sneak my way through most of it. Still finding it difficult even though the AI isn't that crash hot I don't think.

Some mixed feelings. The focus on stealth was nice although it did make the boss fights feel out of place. You are sneaking around knocking people out then suddenly you are just blazing away while throwing EMP grenades.

Would of been good to be able to use hacking/stealth to get an edge in those fights two.

The endings were a bit of a disappointment. Push a button = pick your ending I mean c'mon? Would of been nice if you could work into a little more into the story.

As a final nitpick the augs were kinda lackluster. Once you get carry space, cloak and the hacking augs there isn't all that much that is useful.

Don't get me wrong it's a great game but at times I felt it only had an illusion of depth and complexity rather then the real thing.

Is anyone else finding this game quite difficult? I usually like to play games on Hard yet I struggled on Medium and even switched back to Easy just so I can get through some parts. :eek: Only up to the first 'boss' as well so slow going.

My mate is the one who suggested playing it on Easy also and he finished most, if not all, of Crysis 2 on Super Soldier.

That's ridiculously easy.

Finished it yesterday. The ending was sort of "Is that it?". TBH I was expecting more but overall a great game.

PS. Anyone know how much I could trade this in for?

The 5-hour long (apparently) story based DLC is coming out this month. You might want to hang on to it if you are interested in more HR.

So thanks to PS+ giving this game away for free this month, I decided I'd finally give it a go and see what it's all about.

And really, it's weird, I really am liking and enjoying my time with the game sometimes almost in spite of the various gameplay quirks that make things not quite right so often.

So first off as many who have played will have noticed, the FPS mechanics are a little on the dodgy side. The gun feedback is relatively poor and overall the aiming and movement as well as controls for general shooting are pretty clunky and stiff. So basically that means you're going to be playing this mostly as a stealth game, which the game basically encourages anyway.

But apart from that manner of clunk (as I wouldn't mind being able to handle myself more in a gunfight) I am finding almost everything else in the game extremely interesting. I love exploring the city, I love talking and exploring the conversation tree's and really I am just interested in continuing on with everything the game pretty much has to offer.

While certainly not a game for the general FPS fan (COD/BF guys perhaps steer clear if you want something similar) it's definitely a nice diversion to those COD/BF type games that continue to spring up or see many a clone of.

Now my decision is whether or not to buy the DLC which is currently only $5 for the rest of the month on PS+ too.

Also if anyone cares to answer, what aug's should I really be focussing on? I noticed Max zero stated that apart from the inventory, cloak (just unlocked this one) and hacking (LOVE the hacking mini-games, had no idea at first as I skipped the tutorial pretty much, but really enjoy the tense race to try and unlock everything as well as hacking the terminal) augs nothing else really comes in handy all that much? I can probably see the reason in much of this as so far, and I'm only about 3 proper story missions or so in, it seems like you aren't exactly limited in being able to complete a mission the way you want without specific augs, it just more or less means that you will have to find a slightly different way to do it (of which the outcome is 99.99% the same).

HBK619. There's one aug called typhoon which I reckon is worth putting points into. Fully upgraded it can take out bosses in two or three hits. You probably wont use it outside the boss fights though so it's up to you whether you want to go down that path. For me it was worth it because I've read the boss fight's can be quite frustrating

Other than that, just put points into the augs that enhance your play style and focus on those few. The worst thing you can do in an RPG is spread your points everywhere and become a jack of all trades type character

HBK619. There's one aug called typhoon which I reckon is worth putting points into. Fully upgraded it can take out bosses in two or three hits. You probably wont use it outside the boss fights though so it's up to you whether you want to go down that path. For me it was worth it because I've read the boss fight's can be quite frustrating

Other than that, just put points into the augs that enhance your play style and focus on those few. The worst thing you can do in an RPG is spread your points everywhere and become a jack of all trades type character
Yeah I figured your last sentence once I got into stealthing a lot more. Wasn't really useful to try and bump up things like damage taken and other things like that, just not really needed when stealthing through the game.

Since my last post I've fully upgraded my initial hacking aug (the one to level up the 5 security levels) and have also maxed out a couple of others that suit. I feel like I'm getting a lot of praxis' though as I've got a good chunk of aug's to a suitable level and am now onto basically just filling gaps almost...and I haven't even moved onto the 2nd boss.

FWIW the first boss I came up against I had little to no trouble with. Just took a few combat rifle clips and a well placed exploding barrel and he was down. Actually went down a lot quicker than I was expecting. I can see why the bosses are considered so terrible though. To have to go against the entire way you could potentially be playing up until that point, to have next to no real strategy element and to also get zero feedback on the boss and how damaged he is. Absolute stinker. Have read that's fixed in the DLC though as well as the some of the useless Aug's becoming more useful, so I am really, really contemplating the DLC now. Just depends if by the end of the game I want a bit more or not.

Right now I'm deep into the game, I just want to keep playing it and complete everything I can. Am onto the last part of the China mission now and am really enjoying it. Have already put in a lot of hours, far more than I expected.

The only issue I'm having now is that the first mission threw me into the action so badly, that I not only didn't have the stealth mindset, but I didn't 100% that mission so it's going to leave me uncompleted for the game which bugs the s**t out of me.

What I'm perhaps liking the most about the game is that it's practically a deeper version of the previous Hitman games. You can go all stealth (which definitely feels the RIGHT way, I think some have said in this thread that when you get caught it feels like you've done something wrong. Absolutely spot on!) or you can just go shooting up the place and watch the consequences (something I always loved doing in Hitman, just watch the world burn!:D) - then restart at the previous checkpoint so you are still doing it clean. :D Also the fact that there's often multiple ways to get an objective done is a big Hitman-like influencer too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, that Typhoon is pretty sick, but probs overpowered. I loved this game when it came out, played through it twice but have been meaning to go back and try out different combinations. I remember there were a few pretty useless upgrades like the uncovering nodes during hacking, cones of vision, etc. Really good game, but was sort of let down by the ending/s, but in the end it was one of few games that makes you think about the world and consequences of certain actions.

I also want to save whats-her-name on my next play through, you know, the helicopter pilot chick (was it Malik or something?).

. Really good game, but was sort of let down by the ending/s, but in the end it was one of few games that makes you think about the world and consequences of certain actions.

When you read the definiton of "deus ex" you can see why they do endings like that

When you read the definiton of "deus ex" you can see why they do endings like that

I know what Deus Ex means: I was more talking about the similarities in each of the five different endings. I would have thought each ending to be vastly (maybe not vastly) different, or different enough to one another.

I know what Deus Ex means: I was more talking about the similarities in each of the five different endings. I would have thought each ending to be vastly (maybe not vastly) different, or different enough to one another.

Yeah fair enough

I also want to save whats-her-name on my next play through, you know, the helicopter pilot chick (was it Malik or something?).
I played through that part about 10 times so that I could do it 'correctly'.

Went through the whole game non-lethally then discovered the guys at the beginning (from before you even get takedowns or a non-lethal weapon) count against you. Ugh.

That was by far the most grueling part of the game. But when you do it right, it's oh, so satisfying.

I liked just about everything this game had to offer except for the boss battles; they were a total buzzkill. Glad this may be serving up as decent reference material for Metal Gear Solid 5.

That was by far the most grueling part of the game. But when you do it right, it's oh, so satisfying.

I liked just about everything this game had to offer except for the boss battles; they were a total buzzkill. Glad this may be serving up as decent reference material for Metal Gear Solid 5.

Yeah, I tried it time and time again but just couldn't get it done, the short time frame is the killer for me. Nevertheless, will force myself to do it when I start my next playthrough.

MarcusP2, good to know that those enemies count.

Really rate this game, as others have mentioned yeah is not the most solid pure shooter around, but what it lacks in that aspect it really makes up for in atmosphere and story. Soundtrack is awesome, could listen to that start up screen piece for hours

Just did this.

Had to do it with a pistol as it was the only long range weapon I had that was lethal enough (had a shotgun and heavy rifle, which is terrible for aiming anywhere past 10 metres).

Was really tough but once I got the lay of the land wasn't too bad. I used the auto-save which is basically from when the cutscene ends and play begins. Changed to a gas grenade and pistol, threw the grenade as far towards the back as possible where the 2 mini-gun guys are. Then just went pistoling everyone else around the level as well as throwing a couple of concussion grenades in that little area to the right where the snipers are all poised.

Keys are to make sure you use the barrels and grenades imo. Obviously you need to switch to the EMP as soon as the big dog turret gets dropped as well.

Also make sure you have plenty of stimpacks and painkillers. I managed to do it with 1 painkiller and 3 stimpacks, so if you have more again you should be fine.

It's do-able.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back