Multiplat Diablo 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Never played them
I've only played a few hours, but haven't played any of the others, and i'm enjoying myself so far. Pretty easy, but i'm only on "normal", and haven't played with a group yet.

Picked this up yesterday, its mildy entertaining I guess but I don't really 'get' it (never played 1 or 2, or any game of this style really so I guess that has something tio do with)

I realise its all about loot and grinding for better gear but not sure I'll be able to stick it out. The combat is just so bland - run in, use your big cooldown ability on the crowd (blinding shield for my crusader), mash X and occasionally R2. Aside from bosses you rarely even have to move, just stand there and mash you'll mostly be fine. Seems like the gear you have determines the outcome of any encounter rather than anything the player is doing. Am I being a noob and missing something?

Picked this up yesterday, its mildy entertaining I guess but I don't really 'get' it (never played 1 or 2, or any game of this style really so I guess that has something tio do with)

I realise its all about loot and grinding for better gear but not sure I'll be able to stick it out. The combat is just so bland - run in, use your big cooldown ability on the crowd (blinding shield for my crusader), mash X and occasionally R2. Aside from bosses you rarely even have to move, just stand there and mash you'll mostly be fine. Seems like the gear you have determines the outcome of any encounter rather than anything the player is doing. Am I being a noob and missing something?

No, you're not being a noob at all. Essentially it's point and click for attacks, there is no actual player skill or timing that comes into it as such - your weapon and character skills when compared to an enemy will determine the result of a battle.

These types of games are carrot on a stick games. You grind gear to complete harder and harder content, and a lot of the fun exists in trying to get the pieces of gear to create fun new builds.

These games arent for everyone, and when you can faceroll content, such as the leveling process it can get tedious. However the saying the game begins at max level is very true for Diablo. You level for the story to start with but once at max level it becomes all about finding gear and can be very satisfying when you get an unknown legendary to drop, and the possibility it could open upa new playstyle for you to try.

These games arent for everyone however, and one of the big debates is "why do i play this game?" When you break it down to, why do i need to find better gear, the answer is to help me kills things quicker to find better gear. To many people this seems completely mind numbing, however these games are quite fun when you have a goal in mind, or are just hacking and slashing away with friends talking trash. The end game has gotten a bit stale lately with many people having maxed chars on the highest difficulty with no reward as they have already got the best gear. However the new patch that is on the PTR currently is introducing a more competitive atmosphere with ladders and seasons with new things to strive for which keeps people going a bit longer.

in essence though the game is about finding gear.

^^^ Good summary

You don't play this game for an engaging deep story and characters - that's probably what Dragon Age will be more suitable for.

Diablo is just a relaxing, easy game where you can jump in and out and feel like you've made a bit of progress with your gear/levels etc.
I saw it cheap on the Xbox One store and bought it, but will probably move on once another big release comes out.
Unless the end-game surprises me and I get addicted.

Fair enough then cheers guys. Will definitely give it one playthrough and see if I get more into it.

Just one more question - given the above summaries, what does up-ing the difficulty level do exactly - just more enemies with more health? Meaning you might have to replay stuff you've already done and hope for better gear?

Fair enough then cheers guys. Will definitely give it one playthrough and see if I get more into it.

Just one more question - given the above summaries, what does up-ing the difficulty level do exactly - just more enemies with more health? Meaning you might have to replay stuff you've already done and hope for better gear?

Orignally the diablo series has had multiple diffculties, where basically you replay the game on the higher difficulties to get a better chance at better loot.
Currently with the D3 system the higher difficulties basically ramp up the health and damage of the Mobs. Its a shame becuase without going into too much detail, the base game that you play the story through isnt really used at high levels. What you do are called "rifts"another dimension that you summon that can have any enemy in it on any tileset. You need to kill things in there to get better gear.

The problem is the drop rate for gear is so bad in the rest of the game and so good in rifts thats all you play. Diablo is a very math and numbers heavy game, if something isnt efficient its not worth doing. You are constantly trying to find the fastest way to get gear. Its a good fun game, and ive sunk an incredible amount of time into it on PC, and im not even a hardcore fan. its a game i sink time into for a month then get bored and wait until new content comes out then try again. Very similar to WoW in that regard where i burn out on it quickly.

It can be very fun, however id reccommend playing it with other people, you will have the most fun with others.

I upped it from Normal to Hard and it was significantly harder - note XP and loot but much more likely to die.

I'm playing as a demon hunter and was finding Normal to be quite straightforward but on Difficult I kept started my butt kicked so put it back to normal. May play through again on harder difficulty with a different character class.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cheers, yeah I asked because it all just seems a bit too easy for my first playthorugh - like I mentioned above, apart from bosses you can basically stand in the one spot and mash X. The appeal of gear is one thing but I just need a bit more challenge, think I will up the difficulty tonight and see how I go, good that you can change it on the fly.

Cheers, yeah I asked because it all just seems a bit too easy for my first playthorugh - like I mentioned above, apart from bosses you can basically stand in the one spot and mash X. The appeal of gear is one thing but I just need a bit more challenge, think I will up the difficulty tonight and see how I go, good that you can change it on the fly.

You can hold down X as well - save the thumbs from arthritis :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry about hard. Stick to normal until you can do torment 1 (or higher with friends). The drop rates are the same for anything under t1 so just do normal to burn through more mobs quicker and get more rolls. e.g if it takes 30 seconds to kill 3 packs of 6 on normal but only 1 pack of 6 on a harder difficulty then you will get 3 times more roll chances of something cool to drop and still end up with more XP in the same amount of time on the easier difficulty.

Torment difficulties have bigger loot tables and will drop stuff you won't get lower than T1. So it's either normal or t1 for solo. I usually only jack it up to master on the last 10 levels or so when I'm smashing through rifts and bounties to make the final jump to 70 a bit quicker.

Normal is basically the "easy" mode. For noobs, start at Hard, and like the old games there are about 6-8 more difficulty modes after that. Each rise in difficulty grants different bonuses, like Hard mode is something like 75% more gold drops, etc. Normal has no bonuses.

And there is a little bit of strategy needed on higher difficulties, as many monsters and mini-bosses are immune to certain elemental attacks etc so you might have to think about what you're doing. As I said though, just a little bit, it is just a point and click hack and slash after all. A great one at that.

Played the demo on ps3 and it played decent enough albeit the combat was repetitive but I can see how it'll be fun with a group.

One question though, is it a game you can jump on for a quick play now and then or do you need to sink a heap of time into it to get anywhere? Looking for something quick especially with Destiny set to take a heap of my time.

Played the demo on ps3 and it played decent enough albeit the combat was repetitive but I can see how it'll be fun with a group.

One question though, is it a game you can jump on for a quick play now and then or do you need to sink a heap of time into it to get anywhere? Looking for something quick especially with Destiny set to take a heap of my time.

Might take a few solid sessions to get to level 70, but you can power through the story and then just jump on for even 15 minutes to do some bounties or a rift. I've only just got to Act 5 (level 44 currently) on PS4, but on PC i'm 160 paragon and just jump on when I have a spare moment. Like earlier this morning I was waiting to go out and the missus was finishing getting ready so I just quickly did a rift in 15mins then logged off and went out.

Planning to get the Ultimate Edition on my PS3 sometime soon, might roll a Monk for it.

Just be careful with the monk. Not in the best place right now with lack of high end viability compared to other classes. Also can get a bit boring.

Easy to have quick plays with this game, I've had so many instances where I've said I'll play an hour and end up having 5 hour sessions, so be wary, this game can easily trick you into playing longer than you intend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back