Discussion on Phil Walsh killing; Warning: Disturbing content

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't disagree with you mate. Just saying that calling the guy a clinical psychopath based on some blog entries and an account of his crime which may be completely false is somewhat flawed at this stage.

Either way, it appears that he's committed a horrific, and brutal murder. Whether that's the result of a severe mental illness, a psychological disorder, or a moment of madness, he needs to be dealt with in a manner that has the interests of public safety at the forefront.

For what it's worth, I have heard he has been treated in the past for mental illness. What exactly that was, I don't know, and I must stress that this is now third hand information.
Sincere apologies - lost my rag there. No disrespect intended.

I'm not going to speculate based on an article in the Herald-Sun - I don't trust them for football stories, not going to trust them on gossip surrounding this.

It's so hard not being able to make sense of this. There's a huge temptation to fill in the vacuum with suppositions and guesses and if that is part of the healing process for some, that's OK by me.

But I suspect what happened in the early hours of Friday morning has a complex backstory that, even once in the public domain, won't give anyone any sense of comfort or closure.

I, too, wondered if Phil had been attacked in bed. I thought that he was a strong bloke, and surely could grapple successfully with his son, unless the first stab wound was to a vital organ.

How do these little snippets about what happened come to light? I guess it's human nature for people at the scene to discuss things with their loved ones, who share with others and it goes down the line.

I'm still finding it hard to deal with. Such a terrible, terrible, terrible thing to have happened.

I never like when a paper uses the term (insert paper name here) understands blah blah blah. Where would this account have come from? I can't imagine the police, or Mrs Walsh would be talking about the finer details of the ongoing investigation.
A family member of mine was murdered some years ago and someone from the Advertiser rang my grandmother up to ask for some info. When she declined to comment they said if you don't tell us anything we will have to make something up. So that's what they did.

Don't even try to make sense of it all.

And I think we can get a general gist of what happened based on what we can see now, but we don't know the whole picture. More details of the actual incident will come out as things proceed but don't pretend any of us know the family machinations or the history.

I am in no way justifying this or reducing blame.

F*ck. What a horrendous thing.

Suggest the title be changed to '...phil Walsh death' . Murder needs to be proven in court or admitted to. If there was to be a non-guilty plea, even the most rookie defence lawyer would point to threads like this as prejudicing his chance for a fair trial.

I doubt anyone here wants to give this guy any sort of break...

Edit: I just saw the newspaper article also refers to 'murder'. This is very wrong reporting at this stage of proceedings and will also change soon I am sure

Murder definition: the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another. The telling part is the use of the word "premeditated".

ETA: This is speculation at the moment, but a charge of Voluntary Manslaughter could be more appropriate:

If the killing of a human being satisfies the elements of murder, such as intent to kill, but there are certain mitigating circumstances such as diminished responsibility or provocation, then the offense might be considered voluntary manslaughter.

Mitigating circumstances might include excessive self-defense, intoxication, or a mental defect or abnormality that reduces the person’s culpability.

http://www.criminallawyers.com.au/legal-news/manslaughter-in-australia/

Last edited:
I know 0 about law but how the **** is it not murder, be it drugs or mental illness or none of those?

Murder requires proof or admission of intent (or reckless indifference to the outcome of your actions). That is the key distinguishing feature of the charge and a key pillar of our legal system.

That his son caused his death appears to be virtually beyond doubt. Whether it is murder is a different point entirely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A family member of mine was murdered some years ago and someone from the Advertiser rang my grandmother up to ask for some info. When she declined to comment they said if you don't tell us anything we will have to make something up. So that's what they did.
Wow. It's sunk to those depths

Suggest the title be changed to '...phil Walsh death' . Murder needs to be proven in court or admitted to. If there was to be a non-guilty plea, even the most rookie defence lawyer would point to threads like this as prejudicing his chance for a fair trial.

I doubt anyone here wants to give this guy any sort of break...

Edit: I just saw the newspaper article also refers to 'murder'. This is very wrong reporting at this stage of proceedings and will also change soon I am sure

If the shoe fits, the he may as well wear it. This wasn't a death it was premeditated murder and an absolute dog act.

Must admit that when I saw the picture of that knife being taken away, combined with Police comments, it sounded premeditated to me. It just didn't look like a knife that I'd seen in anyone's kitchen and that the police specifically stated they wouldn't say how it got to be there, made it see, clear that it had been bought with him.

The potential events had been running through my head. Did he come home and turn on the music full bore, was he rifling through mums handbag, what caused thus argument and what was further involved to create the rage.

There's a blog from him where he talks about how much easier it is for his father to achieve certain things. It's obvious to say that he had an issue in his mind with measuring up to his dad. I can only guess that Wakshy's ascension to head coach and one of the most feted and respected men in Adelaide was a further source of dark feelings for his son. As a low profile assistant coach, it would probably only manifest itself to a certain point.

There may still be more to come, because this is a horrific step to take. I mean this kid is now 26 with his own life and these personal issues are consuming him. He still partially resided at his parents house FFS.

If the shoe fits, the he may as well wear it. This wasn't a death it was premeditated murder and an absolute dog act.

I think as a society we have evolved past the lynch mob mentality.

From the potted fact pattern so far provided, to me this seems highly unlikely to end in a murder conviction.

Murder requires proof or admission of intent (or reckless indifference to the outcome of your actions). That is the key distinguishing feature of the charge and a key pillar of our legal system.

That his son caused his death appears to be virtually beyond doubt. Whether it is murder is a different point entirely.
it has been interesting that the media have termed it as a murder from the start. It felt presumptuous as usually would just call it a death before the facts are established

I don't need to be a Doctor to know the difference between a cold, a broken leg or the measles.

Now if he is a schizophrenic or bi polar then fair enough. But you really don't have to be Freud to see the very clear narcissism in that blog. The very fact he has a blog having achieved what appears to be the grand total of zero in his life tells you something.

I'm sick to death of the Molly coddling bullshit which is dished out to explain away people I refer to as wrong 'uns. That's just who they are.

This is not a child - it's a 26 yo man, living in the heart of a loving family. Don't tell me if he was either schizophrenic or bi polar that his family would not have been all over it and he would have been properly medicated.

This is a spoilt brat who was most likely trading off his own fathers guilt for past absence.

Now you can say I'm jumping the gun and being judgmental - come at me. If it smells, looks and sounds like ..... Then it's a .....

And yes...I do have a daughter aged 9 and I will deal with c...s like him soon as I smell them.
My neighbours of fifteen years 25 year old daughter had an "episode" some weeks after she'd returned from a two year OS trip. She'd come back to mum and dads place (obviously, she had no money, and they were helping her get back on her feet). This episode was completely out of the blue, was scary and upsetting and it took them a while to recognise she needed help. She was admitted to a psych ward and they were perplexed as to why. She was sedated heavily for days and eventually, brought home with a diagnosis of bi-polar disorder. These were smart, loving people, but they didn't "get it". They thought she'd just get over it and everything would be back to normal so they didn't supervise her medication and when she seemed like she was back to normal, they were happy for her to go off her meds. Of course it was only a matter of time before she had another episode. Now, 10 years later, she has married, had two beautiful kids and manages her illness. Looking back at her as a little person, the signs were there, but they are kids - what's normal kidlike bratty behaviour and what's psychopathic?

Parents are probably the least likely to recognise catastrophic symptoms in their own children until something happens.

The discussion will happen CC and needs a place. This is that place.
I agonised a little over it - consulted a little - but its a necessary outlet for people to discuss it.

Much appreciated. When waking early this morning I had been mulling over ways to express myself by opening a thread like this. It's a part of the process no matter where it leads us and it's easy to avoid as I'm sure many will.

Borderline Personality Disorder is definitely something I'd be looking into here personally. I certainly don't know if he will ultimately be diagnosed with this, but it needs to be considered.

Don't think so. A BPD would likely be wracked with emotion, crying and hysterical, playing the victim card rather than saying 'woohoo' when arrested.

Let's just remember we don't know how this happened before we start talking about stabbed while he was asleep etc just because he was supposedly in bed. Police themselves also said an argument took place, I gather that's correct for them to say it.

Any possibility could have happened. Phil got up and they had an argument, he's gone back to lay down and his son has decided that's it. It's possible they verbally fought while Phil was in bed. If he was high, it could have been something that you wouldn't even call an argument has set him off.

If it is true though, that's premeditated murder. Still can't believe this has to even be discussed, *s sake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back