Disposals, We Must Improve

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-03-20/adam-kingsley-on-first-bounce

Unfortunately Kingsley doesn't seem to be seeing what we are - says foot skills not that important !!!
Was going to say SACK HIM IMMEDIATELY but I listened to it and that wasn't quite what he said. Talked about what makes Hawthorn so good isn't the outside stuff/foot skills it's the pressure they put on. Which is interesting considering they were near the bottom for tackles last year but I think that's just trying to brainwash our youngsters into doing it consistently.

Foot skills NOT THAT IMPORTANT......
WTF Kinglsey? Were you watching the Hawks game?

Was going to say SACK HIM IMMEDIATELY but I listened to it and that wasn't quite what he said. Talked about what makes Hawthorn so good isn't the outside stuff/foot skills it's the pressure they put on. Which is interesting considering they were near the bottom for tackles last year but I think that's just trying to brainwash our youngsters into doing it consistently.

As I have posted elsewhere - surely you maintain pressure on the opposition by constantly executing disposal with precision ?? Think Kingsley needs a re think

Unfortunately.... By 18 boys have kicked the ball about 10 000 times.

Their natural and learned techniques are well ingrained... And it's very difficult to change a persons kicking ability as an adult.

People will point out Stewart Loewe.... Set shot kicking is easier to alter, it's a closed skill. Under pressure at full tilt, players revert to their innate technique. It takes hours upon hours, to firstly unlearn... Then retrain.

Lyon is right... His job is not to teach a kid how to kick... But where to kick. His job is to teach strategy.... And develop match awareness...
If he has to teach an elite footballer how to kick....

Talk to the recruiters!!

At 18.... After 4 years in representative elite junior environments, with development coaches.... And they are the cream of the crop.... They should be able to kick

Steven cannot?!

Guys we are in the midst of a rebuild. Firstly, we must put together a list that can challenge. We are still about halfway through that the process. Second is to get players currently on the list into a physical condition that allows them to get to the contest. This takes years, and players like Ross, Newnes, Saunders, Wright and Webster are just starting to come good. Thirdly is to equip them with the techniques to be able to win the contest or at least halve it. No doubt bigger bodies have the advantage here and our young mob win fewer contests over the course of every match because they are essentially fighting outside their weight division. Lastly is to teach structure and team dynamics. This involves grooming players for positions and teaching them the role that if everyone executes will allow the team to score and defend.

Our youth are going to be under the pump for a couple more years yet. Right now I am more concerned with bounces where no ruckman is attending, players ball watching then being reactive at the contest (especially where the ball is coming into our defensive 50), players not having the confidence to kick when they are in a position to kick, players running weak defensive lines that allow opponents to burn them, and players following the ball mindlessly not recognizing when their role actually may require them to run away from the ball to space or to follow an opponent.

Poor disposal is expected for where we are right now especially from our young brigade. The coaches have got bigger fish to fry. Structure and the contest should remain the focus.

Last edited:
Patience, patience, patience. This was meant to be our worst year in the rebuild. They will be trying to not let it be so, but that is what we are facing. Don't know why some don't get it.

We'll get there.
Was it? I havent read the exact details. Does anyone have a year by year summary?

This year was always slated as the worst of the cycle, with slight improvment next year followed by marked improvement in 17.

This is what happens when you build through the draft, common sense tells you that, short term pain otherwise we end up like Richmond, and who wants that?

2017 will be great, new facility at Moorabbin, most likely, a coupe of number one draft picks on our list, plus some free agents and cherry picked youth from the expansion clubs.

It's all coming together nicely :)

Patience, patience, patience. This was meant to be our worst year in the rebuild. They will be trying to not let it be so, but that is what we are facing. Don't know why some don't get it.

We'll get there.

So if we are on plan, then we are achieving what we set out to do. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year was always slated as the worst of the cycle, with slight improvment next year followed by marked improvement in 17.

This is what happens when you build through the draft, common sense tells you that, short term pain otherwise we end up like Richmond, and who wants that?

2017 will be great, new facility at Moorabbin, most likely, a coupe of number one draft picks on our list, plus some free agents and cherry picked youth from the expansion clubs.

It's all coming together nicely :)

can everyone please read and re-read this...

when your hurting throughout the year - just read this quote.

The pelican stated this year was rock bottom/ground zero back in the members email the day we let Mcevoy go for Dunstan and Savage.
we will finish bottom and my personal hope is that the afl helps us on our way with a priority pick - chances are slim but its my personal hope.
a pass mark for us this year is games into the kids. Its cutting lose the blokes who we don't think will make it and pour more time into those we do.
We are still missing a midfield and this will change over the draft and trade time.

We are talking with exciting players at other clubs - We had Jeremy Cameron tour seaford and from my information a deal could have been made if the figures were right for us.

Plans are afoot at Moorabbin - the club have been in discussion since long before the news hit mainstream media.

just be patient - which i know its hard. I know we just want to be what hawthorn are and achieve what they have. But give it time.

the frame of our next assault is coming into place - trust me on this

They make it harder when they don't give it to the first option...
So much this. The Hawks rarely don't go with their first option, this was something I've noticed after watching them for the last 7 years. They just move the ball so well by just taking the first option. There are times when there's a little bit of 'Hollywood', but when your that good you can do it. We on the other hand try to finesse or want to try to take the risky 3rd & 4th option which just doesn't work with our current skill level. Sure, Hawthorns pressure makes us second guess ourselves, but usually the first option is the better one & we seemed to try to hold the ball longer, baulk someone, sidestep then end up getting caught as their cluster closed on us.

I'd rather piss on an electric fence than see that squib get a game over one of our kids
A mate of mine actually did that years ago.
From his reaction I'd say there is a fair chance you are underestimating the balance of your decision...

A mate of mine actually did that years ago.
From his reaction I'd say there is a fair chance you are underestimating the balance of your decision...
A short term zap of extreme pain on the doodle, or an excruciating 2.5 hours of painful frustration watching Schneider squib, pike out, & pussyfoot his way around a football field....?

I'll take peeing on the fence anyday. Some of those efforts of his late last year were some of the softest things I've ever seen on a football field, we don't need a senior player doing that in front of our kids. Sets a shocking precedence & example

So much this. The Hawks rarely don't go with their first option, this was something I've noticed after watching them for the last 7 years. They just move the ball so well by just taking the first option. There are times when there's a little bit of 'Hollywood', but when your that good you can do it. We on the other hand try to finesse or want to try to take the risky 3rd & 4th option which just doesn't work with our current skill level. Sure, Hawthorns pressure makes us second guess ourselves, but usually the first option is the better one & we seemed to try to hold the ball longer, baulk someone, sidestep then end up getting caught as their cluster closed on us.
There's a lot of that but they also value possession more than any team. If it isn't on they won't take it, they'll just sit back and wait for something to open up then hit them on the chest even if it just means going to someone 15m away to hold onto the ball. We seem to be trying to do a lot of waiting for the right option to open up then just turn it over. The idea is alright IMO but I think it will work a lot better when we aren't playing top 4 teams and we actually have a bit more confidence to back ourselves.

From what I understand

Schnieder has played around 200 games... Has played in 5 grand finals.... Has kicked many goals... Has had a pretty good career

Love to know your reasoning behind a player with that CV being a squib?

He's been a great player IMO

From what I understand

Schnieder has played around 200 games... Has played in 5 grand finals.... Has kicked many goals... Has had a pretty good career

Love to know your reasoning behind a player with that CV being a squib?

He's been a great player IMO
Watch a few replays of the games he played late last season. There are number of soft squib efforts. One that stands out is when the ball was there to be won, Schneids came in to take possession & instead of bending down to pick it up, he performed this pathetic toe poke that completely missed the ball & ended up with him on his arse, while the oppositition swooped on the ball & took it away. One of the softest things I've ever seen & is not the sort of effort expected of a senior player with such a 'CV'. If he's going to do s**t like this as consistently as he did late last year, I don't want him playing in the seniors. Simple & pretty valid IMO

Edit: For reference purposes, the pathetic effort mentioned above can be found in the game v GC in August. Should read through the game day thread, it appears i wasnt the only one appalled by how soft that effort was.

Last edited:
I don't think Schneider was ever a real hard nosed player. He is a very good user of the ball by foot, and loves a crack at goal from anywhere inside fifty. What are we trying to teach the kids? If it's to crack in at the contest, then he's not the right fit. If it's to read the spread and kick long to advantage he has something to offer. If it's defensive efforts again not a good fit. He would be ideal in say North side instead of Nahas, or a Richmond side instead of Lloyd. But not likely to be a lot of use to us right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back