Do Fitzroy deserve a VFL team

Do Fitzroy deserve a VFL team

• Yes

Votes: 88 85.4%
  • No

Votes: 15 14.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

im going to state an obvious question, does Fitzroy deserve a VFL team. i think that they do and should be able to compete in an original and bigger league. Fitzroys history began in the VFA which is now the VFL a return does not seem that bad. in a time off reserves sides returning to the comp we could see fitzroy play opponent such as richmond and collingwood or the footscray. im sure the brisbane lions would not mind an opportunity to have a reserves side in melbourne for when they come down to melbourne to play away games, and also it still helps grow Brisband supporter base in melbourne do a degree. Fitzroy understandably against the best wishes of some can not return to AFL but the next good thing is certainly VFL, and im sure and esteemed club well respected in history would be welcomed warmly in to VFL.

They do, and should move from the VAFA up to the VFL, as long as they can get up to VAFA division 1 and show they are a competitive force. Also if the AFL looks at a 2nd division, Fitzroy should be in it.

Appreciate the support, but I think its a case of "show me the money". The Bris Lions don't have the dollars to support it, and not sure if anyone else would fork up the cash. Would be wonderful, but can't see it happening.

Appreciate the support, but I think its a case of "show me the money". The Bris Lions don't have the dollars to support it, and not sure if anyone else would fork up the cash. Would be wonderful, but can't see it happening.

Have to agree. At this stage the only way Fitzroy could have a presence in the VFL is if there were some sort of sponsorship deal, such as there was in 1999-2000 with the Coburg-Fitzroy Lions.

I'm not sure Fitzroy would look at this now, given that their own teams play on Saturday afternoons and they'd want their fans to come to the Brunswick Street Oval, rather than up the road at the Coburg City Oval. Too bad the VFA-VFL don't play on Sundays anymore.

If Fitzroy themselves were to look at moving into the VFL, there would be the question of using a suitable home ground, as well as the question of how they would generate enough revenue to fund a VFL team.

Love to see it but $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ,not likely.If they did however why could'nt they play at Brunswick street.Ok there's no fence around the ground,so would have to survive on memberships and sponsorship.
Not many people go to vfl games anyway.

It would be so good to see Fitzroy in the VFL. I used to sacrifice some of my pocket money as a kid and put it in the tins every week in hope the club would survive.
It would mean so much to so many people if Fitzroy could field a team in VFL and I would be more than happy to contribute

Out of interest, how well are the Reds supported as VAFA level? A lot of talk about Coburg going it alone next year in the VFL has been about the lack of community involvement and support possibly killing the club, as it did with Northcote, Camberwell, Sunshine, etc back in the day.
I would love to travel to Brunswick St (or even the Junction) to watch Port play the Roys, but is it viable? Maybe if Brisbane agreed to split their players between the NEAFL and the VFL (like the Swans did back when they were aligned with the Borough) it might have a chance of working.

The Brisbane Lions are short of cash for it to even be a consideration - however I personally believe that in terms of player development, the Lions would be far better off having their Reserves team play in the VFL rather than the NEAFL. The NEAFL is a mickey mouse comp in comparison, and is something that holds back a lot of the Lions young players coming through - the stepup from NEAFL to AFL is enormous.

Hence if by chance there was a windfall of monies, and the AFL could afford to have a full interstate club involved reserves comp, then it would be great for the Lions players development - and calling that team Fitzroy (like the WB call their VFL team Footscray) would be a good result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the AFL can afford to put the Fitzroy Lions in the VFL. they fund the VFL anyway and the TAC cup. As Already stated. 11 of those vic clubs are linked to the Victorian AFL clubs. North have links with 2 clubs while the other 9 Vic Clubs have their own reserves team.

I reckon the AFL can afford to put the Fitzroy Lions in the VFL. they fund the VFL anyway and the TAC cup. As Already stated. 11 of those vic clubs are linked to the Victorian AFL clubs. North have links with 2 clubs while the other 9 Vic Clubs have their own reserves team.

Supply of players from the Brisbane Lions reserves? That flying them up and down and around the country every second week, and flying the opposition up every week - unless you are suggesting that the Lions Reserves play every game down here (which still means flying week in week out). Financially a difficult ask, and something that I doubt the AFL would take on.

If Fitzroy were to field a team in the VFL, it would have to be via the Fitzroy Reds that play in the VAFA and not affiliated with the Brisbane Lions. The idea that stand alone teams like Bendigo and Coburg, which are running on the smell of an oily rag, stump up airfares and accommodation to Brisbane, even once a year, is utterly unfeasible. Plus the cost would be prohibitive to Brisbane to set up and maintain a reserves team based in a state so far away. It's part of the reason why the Sydney/Port Melbourne affiliation fell apart.

I'm afraid this is not correct. AFL Victoria are the administrator of the VFL, but the clubs are independent and are required to fund themselves, which is why several of the stand alone teams are struggling to remain competitive, the budgets even at the alligned teams are razor thin, as they are all almost entirely self managed.

If Fitzroy were to field a team in the VFL, it would have to be via the Fitzroy Reds that play in the VAFA and not affiliated with the Brisbane Lions.

I agree. (except for the Reds bit).

The idea that stand alone teams like Bendigo and Coburg, which are running on the smell of an oily rag, stump up airfares and accommodation to Brisbane, even once a year, is utterly unfeasible. Plus the cost would be prohibitive to Brisbane to set up and maintain a reserves team based in a state so far away. It's part of the reason why the Sydney/Port Melbourne affiliation fell apart.

Why bother with a Brisbane Lions reserves called "Fitzroy", when THE Fitzroy Football Club that spent 100 years in the VFL-AFL still exists in Melbourne in its own right. The side that plays in the VAFA is the actual Fitzroy Football Club....not the Fitzroy Reds.

Fitzroy could re-enter the VFA-VFL for its fourteenth season in that competition, already having one premiership to its name. (1895)

Supply of players from the Brisbane Lions reserves? That flying them up and down and around the country every second week, and flying the opposition up every week - unless you are suggesting that the Lions Reserves play every game down here (which still means flying week in week out). Financially a difficult ask, and something that I doubt the AFL would take on.

Would it be possbile to have it as a stand alone club not linked to the Brisbane lions or any of the vic clubs? Whats the Salary cap of the VFL?

Would it be possbile to have it as a stand alone club not linked to the Brisbane lions or any of the vic clubs? Whats the Salary cap of the VFL?

Anything's possible. Whether there is the money is another issue. And a ground?

The VFL salary cap ranges between $185,000 and $350,000 depending on the alignment status of each club. Fitzroy would generate about a twentieth of that larger figure at the moment.

I agree. (except for the Reds bit).

Why bother with a Brisbane Lions reserves called "Fitzroy", when THE Fitzroy Football Club that spent 100 years in the VFL-AFL still exists in Melbourne in its own right. The side that plays in the VAFA is the actual Fitzroy Football Club....not the Fitzroy Reds.

Fitzroy could re-enter the VFA-VFL for its fourteenth season in that competition, already having one premiership to its name. (1895)

I think you answered your own question one post later Roylion... money. I think its more likely that the AFL aligned Bris Lions would have the cash to fund a VFL team, than the current day FFC would. I'm not opposed to either - just saying that one is more financially likelier than the other.

Having said that, while the FFC mightn't have the funds, neither do the current day Bris Lions. Both are hugely unlikely scenarios - but one day the AFL may decide that its in its interests to assist funding of all AFL Reserves sides in the proper one competition.

I'm afraid this is not correct. AFL Victoria are the administrator of the VFL, but the clubs are independent and are required to fund themselves, which is why several of the stand alone teams are struggling to remain competitive, the budgets even at the alligned teams are razor thin, as they are all almost entirely self managed.

So much of making the Fitzroy a Stand alone club then...

Is the TAC cup funded by the AFL? Theres a fair few guys that get recruited there every year.

The VFL salary cap ranges between $185,000 and $350,000 depending on the alignment status of each club. Fitzroy would generate about a twentieth of that larger figure at the moment.

Your team played at Brunswick Street oval many years ago. Is that still being used? Or what about Junction Oval? Considering you guys are up North Near Carlton or Collingwood, Would the AFL let the lions play in Princes Park or Victoria Park? What about sharing home games with the Tigers at Punt Road?

So much of making the Fitzroy a Stand alone club then...

You do realise that THE Fitzroy Football Club still exists in its own right in Melbourne?

Your team played at Brunswick Street oval many years ago. Is that still being used?

Errr....yes. By the very same football club that played at the Brunswick Street Oval from 1884-1966. It's Fitzroy Football Club's current home ground and has been since 2009.

Or what about Junction Oval?

Fitzroy are playing at the Junction Oval this very afternoon. That's more likely to be a ground that meets VFL standards.

Considering you guys are up North Near Carlton or Collingwood, Would the AFL let the lions play in Princes Park or Victoria Park?

And pay an exorbitant rent again to Carlton and Collingwood. No thanks.

What about sharing home games with the Tigers at Punt Road?

Might as well play at the Junction Oval or the Coburg City Oval.

I think you answered your own question one post later Roylion... money. I think its more likely that the AFL aligned Bris Lions would have the cash to fund a VFL team, than the current day FFC would. I'm not opposed to either - just saying that one is more financially likelier than the other.

Yes, but geographically I can't see the Brisbane Lions even entertaining the thought of playing its reserves in the VFL. The only feasible way is for Fitzroy Football Club to re-enter the VFL (VFA) competition.

Having said that, while the FFC mightn't have the funds, neither do the current day Bris Lions. Both are hugely unlikely scenarios - but one day the AFL may decide that its in its interests to assist funding of all AFL Reserves sides in the proper one competition.

I'd like to see the VFL competition go back to its original name of VFA, and maybe move its matches to Sunday and the AFL Victorian sides run a reserves comp amongst themselves called the VFL. I could see Fitzroy one day joining the VFA to compete against the likes of Port Melbourne and Williamstown for example. Fitzroy are building once again (VAFA D-Grade to B-Grade in five years and possibly A-Grade next year) but its going to take a while to build up the BSO facilities and generate enough funds to maintain their position.

But we'd be able to sell beer at games and not lose all that money to those on the grass with their eskys

Back