Do we consider selling home games?

Should we consider selling home games?

• No, 11 games at the Gabba is essential, even if we're at the bottom of the ladder

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Yes, but only 1 or 2.

Votes: 15 31.3%
  • Yes, Hawthorn/Launceston or Giants/Canberra style deals.

Votes: 8 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Current deal with the Queensland Govt dictates that we must play all home games at the 'Gabba.

Would hate to see us sell any home games, I just wish we could negotiate a better stadium deal (Buy out the 'Gabba members area so we could sell that seating area to potential members, be in charge of catering so we can make all money from food sales and negotiate it so we can take 100% of all gatetakings).

it is a catch 22 situation... Having our Pies home game at the MCG would be a huge $$$win, but these are the sort of games needed to develop the game in QLD as well. But atm we seem to only get a couple BIG Vic clubs (Blues, Tigers, Essendon, Pies, Hawks) to come play at the Gabba on a given year. I would think the AFL would give us a extra game against one of these if we played one In Melbourne to counter losing out on 1 big Gabba game. Perhaps rotate through these teams each year?

PROS
1)
$$$. Regardless of how bad we are going supporters of these big clubs would turn up
2) Big AFL teams would actually line up to request having us away
3) More Melbourne games
4) Good for Fitzroy supporters and growing our brand in Victoria
5) More games for our Vic players in Melbourne (a trip home and play infront of friends etc...). Moral booster/aid in limiting homesickness
6) Could turn a nothing fixture into a big game. i.e. A week we might normally play another poor club could be turned into a game against a big club
7) TV exposure!! Another national FTA coverage potentially

CONS
1)
Lose a home game. Could impact on membership?
2) A big game might just be taken away from the Gabba completely (this would have to be cleared up in neg. with the AFL)

Im sure people could add more CONS, but I think the Pros out weight them if it is organise right

How? No one would be paying us to play a home game in Melbourne. To sell a game you need someone to buy it. Why would the Victorian Government pay us to play a game in Melbourne when they already have over 100 games per year...?

Pay Us? They get the home game and we get the ticket sales etc...;)
We'd lose money if we just randomly had a home game in Melbourne, even if it were against Collingwood. The reason teams move games is because local/state government pay the team decent $$$$ to have a game or two in their city, no other reason. Ticket sales are nothing compared to the $$$ teams get by doing that, otherwise teams wouldn't sell any games at all.

We'd lose money if we just randomly had a home game in Melbourne, even if it were against Collingwood. The reason teams move games is because local/state government pay the team decent $$$$ to have a game or two in their city, no other reason. Ticket sales are nothing compared to the $$$ teams get by doing that, otherwise teams wouldn't sell any games at all.

Im sure with TV rating and ticket sales etc... it could be a very profitable excercise if it was a extra game against a big Vic game verse a nothing game at the Gabba

Im sure with TV rating and ticket sales etc... it could be a very profitable excercise if it was a extra game against a big Vic game verse a nothing game at the Gabba
Would make no where near enough profit (if it actually does) to make it worth it quite frankly. It would probably make just as much as the nothing game at the Gabba.

Really? Why would cats do this every year with their pies home games?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Because they're not an interstate club...
And they would get twice as many people to the game than we would quite frankly.
Plus it's not Geelong's choice, the AFL will not allow them to play Geelong V Collingwood in Geelong (same with EFC, or Carlton and Richmond when they're up and about). Geelong would play 11 home games in Geelong if they could.

If we're going to sell a game to make money, we should actually try and actually achieve that objective.

Brisbane is a big city, i think you have the people there you just need to give them an excuse to go to the game.

Yes we wont get the same crowd figures as cats v pies but it would still be pretty big. And if we could do that instead of a gws home game etc... then we would make money no doubt. We would also feature on the main stage which only helps build our brand for corporate support.

Its the only way I could see us making money selling our home games. We will never get a tassie deal as they will rather teams like the hawks... maybe wait and see what response we get from NZ

Just how I see it...im sure its more complicated though.

Brisbane is a big city, i think you have the people there you just need to give them an excuse to go to the game.
Agreed. Sadly however it is difficult when Sydney/Gold Coast/GWS (clubs who face similar difficulties to us that none of the other 14 clubs do) are given the appropriate help to overcome these problems but yet we aren't. Seems the AFL thought we'd be right after the 3-peat and thought those obstacles would no longer apply to us :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed. Sadly however it is difficult when Sydney/Gold Coast/GWS (clubs who face similar difficulties to us that none of the other 14 clubs do) are given the appropriate help to overcome these problems but yet we aren't. Seems the AFL thought we'd be right after the 3-peat and thought those obstacles would no longer apply to us :drunk:
Tbh I think its pretty fkd up a club can stoop so low after winning 3 premierships back to back to back. There is something seriously wrong if the AFL has to inject money when a club doesnt make finals for a few years.

I think it's a good idea. If we do sell 1 game per year the AFL would probably need to ask another club to head to hobart/tassie/darwin for a game instead though.

Tbh I think its pretty fkd up a club can stoop so low after winning 3 premierships back to back to back. There is something seriously wrong if the AFL has to inject money when a club doesnt make finals for a few years.

You need to look at the whole picture.

Brisbane is a completely different market to WA/SA/VIC. Just because we won 3 premierships doesn't mean we are instantly a powerhouse like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond or one of the WA/SA clubs which are backed by die hard footy fans. AFL is still trying to find it's roots in QLD/NSW.

There are so many reasons as to why it would be harder to keep a club afloat in the QLD market, in particular the fact a good % of players want to play in an AFL dominated state or their home state. This alone directly impacts the clubs ability to recruit talent. We don't have a local talent pool like WA/SA/VIC where you can pick 50% of your kids from the home state with a good chance of retaining them from a go home factor.

Add to that and dilute the ability to recruit true top 5 - 10 pick players when you are bottoming out & then make the clubs top pick(s) worthless in the draft because 2 other clubs are holding all the aces for 3 draft years in a row and you have a team which is going to really struggle to stay competitive.

Current deal with the Queensland Govt dictates that we must play all home games at the 'Gabba.

Heh. That same contract said all AFL games in SE Queensland had to be played at the Gabba. After they moved GC to Metricon, that same contract said that "QClash" games had to be played at the Gabba. That contract isn't worth the paper it's written on - the AFL just throws money around to change it.

Who paid for those games that Melbourne played at the Gabba those years (which ended up being a negative as it gave the powers that be more leverage against the games in Melbourne clause since we 'broke' it)?

I can't remember if we paid them directly, but they got all gate receipts, etc.

The reigning premiers are very desperate selling 4 H&A games a year then ;)

Long bow here, mate. Hawks didn't have to sell games into Tasmania, they weren't desperate. They had a shitload of cash thrown at them, did some research, and strategically (through savvy marketing) went out and recruited a heap of new members.

Comparing apples and oranges, IMO.

EDIT: trying to say if we were to go down the road of selling games it would be desperation as opposed to Hawks venture into Tassie.

Last edited:
Regardless of weather Melbourne's an option or not, I say we spearhead the development of AFL on the Sunshine Coast.

The Sunshine Coast has a growing population of over 250,000 and is the third largest populous in QLD. It's also just up the road from Brisbane.

I'm not sure if an AFL game has ever been played there, or even if they have a decent oval?

I'm sure we could twist the AFL's arm towards some sort of development deal.

You need to look at the whole picture.

Brisbane is a completely different market to WA/SA/VIC. Just because we won 3 premierships doesn't mean we are instantly a powerhouse like Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond or one of the WA/SA clubs which are backed by die hard footy fans. AFL is still trying to find it's roots in QLD/NSW.

There are so many reasons as to why it would be harder to keep a club afloat in the QLD market, in particular the fact a good % of players want to play in an AFL dominated state or their home state. This alone directly impacts the clubs ability to recruit talent. We don't have a local talent pool like WA/SA/VIC where you can pick 50% of your kids from the home state with a good chance of retaining them from a go home factor.

Add to that and dilute the ability to recruit true top 5 - 10 pick players when you are bottoming out & then make the clubs top pick(s) worthless in the draft because 2 other clubs are holding all the aces for 3 draft years in a row and you have a team which is going to really struggle to stay competitive.
Well.. then .. why do teams exist if there only chance of making finals is from an afl stimulus.

Well.. then .. why do teams exist if there only chance of making finals is from an afl stimulus.

Because the amount of money brought in by national TV rights dwarfs the AFL's on-going support of clubs in non-traditional AFL states. I'd expand on it more but K2B pretty much nailed it.

Yes we should consider selling home games until we get back on our feet financially.

Sunshine Coast an interesting option as well if a suitable ground can be found.

Again you need to look at the whole picture instead of just 1 aspect. The AFL wants a national league and is going to need to invest in the teams in NSW/QLD for many years. It will probably take another decade or more before these clubs have solid recruiting grounds for players and supporters. It'll take time to sway kids to support the AFL and then those kids to grow up and teach their kids how to play footy instead of rugby, or perhaps both.

It seems like your gripe is with the AFL business model to expand outside of WA/SA/VIC rather than anything to do with the Lions so I'm not really sure if there is any point discussing this further with you.

Back