Do we have a game plan? Jury out!

Remove this Banner Ad

As exciting as our style is to watch, I just wish sometimes we would hold it up and wait for a better option. I actually think we were better at knowing when to go and when to wait last year. We need to find that balance.

Is that the case that last year (in the second half at least) we had played a fair few games with that system and begun to know it instinctively.

Give it time, it'll hit the same point with this game plan as well soon.

I would also like to see us throw someone different in the middle at ball-ups. Maybe Charlie, maybe Laird, maybe McGovern, maybe Smith, I don't know. But just feel like we're too predictable and need to try something new.

The difference in our skill level between the early rounds and the last 2 weeks is the big difference to my eyes, that along with our supposed "run and carry" players Seedsman and Smith going missing and even when in possession rarely delivering with their much touted precision.....Rory Laird's calmness and poise a big loss. Clangers starting to creep back into Hartigan's game is a concern though he's certainly doing OK in his one on one contests still.

Needs a bump.

Man I'd kill for our GPS stats, I've got a sneaky feeling the majority of our players may not be running as much as they were last year due to our direct through the corridoor style of footy even with the interchange cap.
No side ways chipping around and wasting time and energy, it's just like.. Mark it.. Bang bang and go forward.

Noticed in the crows show last week when they were teaching the development players how to play. One of our reserves coaches was screaming out "there's no marks, no marks" essentially everyone had to play on after taking a mark. Main guys would be learning how to play like this also, I've noticed we very rarely stop with the ball after taking a mark, it's always play on!

Needs a bump.

Man I'd kill for our GPS stats, I've got a sneaky feeling the majority of our players may not be running as much as they were last year due to our direct through the corridoor style of footy even with the interchange cap.
No side ways chipping around and wasting time and energy, it's just like.. Mark it.. Bang bang and go forward.

Noticed in the crows show last week when they were teaching the development players how to play. One of our reserves coaches was screaming out "there's no marks, no marks" essentially everyone had to play on after taking a mark. Main guys would be learning how to play like this also, I've noticed we very rarely stop with the ball after taking a mark, it's always play on!
The 2 players I see stop are the 2 the Board have most issue with ironically.

Well 1 with huge issues the other with ?? over his future

David Mackay and Scott Thompson at times stopped and looked lost as to where to go

David Mackay and Scott Thompson at times stopped and looked lost as to where to go

I agree with that, DMac and Thommo are a little slow with releasing the ball, however when they do release it they've been making fairly good decisions so I'll cut them some slack. We're letting the ball go within 2 seconds almost every time to beat the press, essentially it's impossible to defend if you're the opposition

I agree with that, DMac and Thommo are a little slow with releasing the ball, however when they do release it they've been making fairly good decisions so I'll cut them some slack. We're letting the ball go within 2 seconds almost every time to beat the press, essentially it's impossible to defend if you're the opposition

Dunno, I noticed in the game before last that Mackay was the only Crow that stopped momentum when he took a mark. I'm not a Mackay hater. I didn't notice him doing this on Thursday night. Maybe he got the message. Must check the replay.

It's a confidence thing. Players spread when they expect to keep the ball. A few turnovers and they go back into their shells. Takes guts to run and gun or hit the corridor when you are behind. You can tell the boys are confident in themselves ATM. And it helps knowing that we can score 40 times out of every 50 forward entries :eek:

I reckon Walsh brought in the fierce tackling and competitiveness which has been a feature of the Crows over the last one and a half seasons (except perhaps the WB and Geelong game this season). This had been severely lacking in Crows play over the journey.

The skills have sharpened up as well and now match the tackling/competitive side to the game. Quick and clean hands. Options. Neat kicking. A forward line that is working for each other. A solid defence. A competitive midfield. A smart coaching group and excellent on field leadership.

All the ingredients are there for the Crows to finish top 4 and threaten the premiership this season. Sydney and Geelong still probably favourites. Hawthorn and GWS thereabouts along with us.

It is a good time to be a Crows supporter. Lets hope they can stay the journey.

Yes I have noticed the last two games McKay always goes back on the mark and then seems to hold it twice as long as anyone else and therefore put even more pressure on his kick - not bashing him but with our current plan it really has started to stand out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back