Do you think it's time the AFL reconsider the 3 player + 1 sub on the bench rule?

Remove this Banner Ad

kick it to hodge

Team Captain
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It seems like 1-2 players are doing their ACL and 6-8 others are getting injured every week, look no further than the league-wide injury list as evidence:
http://www.injuryupdate.com.au/afl-injury-list.php

Could this be a result of the added fatigue and higher rotations players are under? Is it time the AFL reconsider the 3 players + 1 sub on the bench rule?

If you were in charge of the AFL, what would YOU do?

Not to forget that the AFL want to cap rotations from next year.

Soon, we'll be lucky to have a full team playing out there.

yep its gunna happen.there will be a team who will either have only 17 players out there or injured players sitting in a forward pocket

ACL injuries have nothing to do with fatigue. Players survived with minimal interchange rotations for over a century without it leading to unusual amounts of injuries.

The sub rule was designed to slow the game down, fatigue the players and provide fairness in case of an injury. It appears to have achieved all three. There is zero chance that they will reconsider the rule and nor should they, the interchange was never intended to be used for constant rotations.

They do more knees these days because the AFL sped up the game to much with their rule changes and the players play on grounds with no give in them what so ever.
In years gone by we did not play on manicured turf that was like a putting green as they do now. We played on grounds which had give in them, that your foot did not just stick into the turf and just stop.
Knee injuries will continue to get more and more so brace yourself. Nothing to do with the interchange system.

They need to go back and have the flag waived before the ball can be brought back into play.
They need to not call a player to play on after a free kick within 2 seconds. He should be allowed to hold the ball at least for 10 seconds.

Those two things alone have made the game way to quick.

Bigger bodies better at tackling equates to Knee injuries, it is supposed to bend 1 way only.Hyper extensions have been horrific this year maybe less stoppages are responsible as the game is now so fast.

It's because of the breakneck speed the game is played that is contributing to the knee injuries. The reason why the game is at that speed is directly related to this latest fad of rotations.

Capping interchanges and reducing the bench will slow the game down.
I'm not convinced. The game will slow down from hammering their bodies, not through tactical changes. That's not going to decrease injury.

ACL injuries have nothing to do with fatigue. Players survived with minimal interchange rotations for over a century without it leading to unusual amounts of injuries.

The sub rule was designed to slow the game down, fatigue the players and provide fairness in case of an injury. It appears to have achieved all three. There is zero chance that they will reconsider the rule and nor should they, the interchange was never intended to be used for constant rotations.
ACL aren't directly caused by injury but they could very well be indirectly caused by it.

The AFL keep implementing rules that pull players in various directions. They're trying to make the game so fast it slows players down...how is that not absurd?

Looking at West Coast vs Port last week, I can't work out how the sub rule was to our advantage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they're gunna go the cap next year they might as well get rid of the sub, initially it was going to be one or other....now we're gunna end up with both:rolleyes:

The sub is there as an equalizer for injuries also. Still necessary.

Not to forget that the AFL want to cap rotations from next year.

Soon, we'll be lucky to have a full team playing out there.

I'm getting tired of all these cheap digs at Essendon.

3+1 is the equivalent of the 40kph speed zone to stop stupid people getting killed crossing the road. The problem isn't stupid people getting killed, it is stupid people who can't cross a ******* road.

Making people tired isn't going to cause fewer injuries, it will stop a certain type of injury which isn't very common but I think it is going to cause a lot of other types of injuries because when you are fatigued it is much harder to focus on what you are doing.

What if ACLs are caused by PEDs?

blackcat

you wont know.

cos of numerous reasons.
1. there are no PEDs in the AFL. Adrian Anderson and Andrew Demetriou told us.
2. if PEDs did cause ligament and tendon injuries, they would not tell you because of (1).
3. if the AFL and professional sport cannot be open and transparent with the public about PEDs, they cannot underwrite a study about the PEDs that do not exist.

*my caveat: yes, they do statistical supervision on the tracking and trends on injuries. I concede this. But they are doing this blindfold. My intuition is, nearly all veterans who have played 100 games, get the Matrix film red bill blue pill choice, and take the PED choice. But the soccer moms could never be told this for the marketing of the game, and the mothers round, the dreamtime round, the anzac rounds, all these damn marketing structures are anathema to the truth. they dont reflect the myth.

the concussions are not the problem. the hundreds of thousands of australian males who have played contact sport on the weekends for decades, would indicate the issue is more confined to battering rams in the NFL. Selwood, Jonathon Brown, and Allen Christensen, are unique examples, worth to be taken more care of however.

the afl is a professional sport that has morphed into a sports business of significance.

its a freak year for ACLs. but a good number of them haven't been in games. there are quite a few in training. not sure what the i/c cap or 3+1 has to do with that. i'd suggest none of them have anything to do with fatigue.

Bradley, Patton and possibly the one tonight were collision/tackle injuries.

Moribito and Beams went down at training.

Walker, Shoenmakers, Suckling, were all very early in games

Menzel was early in the 2s. and like Moribito appears to be genetically predisposed to such injuries.

last week it was the grounds, even tho the knees were being done everywhere, this week it's the AFLs fault.

1 year isn't a big enough sample to make any decision on anything.

sometimes you know, it's not someones fault. these things just happen.

CE, need to qualify that, because it could be read wrong, or misinterpreted (ie confirmation bias)

What if the number of ACLs are greater because of PEDs.

and with the caveat: all injuries especially the white tissue injuries, the ligaments and tendons.
That's what I meant, cheers.

I look at the build some of these players have. Torsion forces created by large muscle on top of joints not meant to take it.

That's what I meant, cheers.

I look at the build some of these players have. Torsion forces created by large muscle on top of joints not meant to take it.

as you have read, that is my thesis. I have thought about doing a hand written pen-paper letter to the geelong medico, think it is former medico, he is now on the board with colin carter, he is just a regular GP in Newtown Geelong, and he is the head of the AFL medical committee.

docs might be science rote learnt, but the best of medicine dont find their way to afl.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back