Do you think there will be a better stadium in Australia then the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm lets see, the AFL has a contract until 2037 with the MCG and will outright own Docklands for sfa in 2025. Theres no way the AFL wants to be part of any new major stadium - and its unlikely the Victorian Goverment will approve state support or expenditure on a competitor to the MCG in any case. (see Waverly).

More to the point its simply not required. the rectangle codes have Aami Park for up to 30,000. Etihad can handle anything up to 50,000, and the MCG exists for anything requiring greater capacity. Its a triumph for common sense. If they can play soccer on fields with goddamn athletics tracks around them, they can happily play at the MCG.

I can't recall exactly what the rule was but there is a rule from FIFA regarding how far spectators are allowed to be from the pitch and the MCG breaches that

I can't recall exactly what the rule was but there is a rule from FIFA regarding how far spectators are allowed to be from the pitch and the MCG breaches that

The distance wasnt a consideration when the world cup bid was being put together. They were just going to change the lower bowl but it was still going to be an oval.

Hmm lets see, the AFL has a contract until 2037 with the MCG and will outright own Docklands for sfa in 2025. Theres no way the AFL wants to be part of any new major stadium - and its unlikely the Victorian Goverment will approve state support or expenditure on a competitor to the MCG in any case. (see Waverly).

More to the point its simply not required. the rectangle codes have Aami Park for up to 30,000. Etihad can handle anything up to 50,000, and the MCG exists for anything requiring greater capacity. Its a triumph for common sense. If they can play soccer on fields with goddamn athletics tracks around them, they can happily play at the MCG.
I certainly don't think that it will get built but its certainly something that would help us lay claim to being the sporting capital of the world and its still something that I feel we need.

Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Twickenham, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Craven Cottage and QPR's home ground are all in London. Most have been developed by private funding through ownership but the idea of 3 main stadiums in a city I feel is a good idea.

MCG - 100,000 - Wembley
New Stadium - 75,000 for oval, 90,000 for rectangular codes - Olympic Stadium.
Etihad - 55,000 - Emirates.
Princes Park - 25,000 - Craven Cottage for smaller matches.

They all have staggered capacities that would make the game feel more intimate and provide greater atmosphere. The Richmond's and Hawthorn's are perfect for this stadium in between.

We have 9 football teams playing out of two stadiums at the moment. Anyone around the world would find that ridiculous. There is no home ground feel or advantage.

Soccer and rugby are only getting bigger in Victoria and to see the Socceroos, Wallabies and international friendlies being played at the MCG is terrible, you cannot see a thing. Building this new stadium would open the state up to more events.

I certainly don't think that it will get built but its certainly something that would help us lay claim to being the sporting capital of the world and its still something that I feel we need.

Wembley, Olympic Stadium, Twickenham, Emirates, Stamford Bridge, White Hart Lane, Craven Cottage and QPR's home ground are all in London. Most have been developed by private funding through ownership but the idea of 3 main stadiums in a city I feel is a good idea.

MCG - 100,000 - Wembley
New Stadium - 75,000 for oval, 90,000 for rectangular codes - Olympic Stadium.
Etihad - 55,000 - Emirates.
Princes Park - 25,000 - Craven Cottage for smaller matches.

They all have staggered capacities that would make the game feel more intimate and provide greater atmosphere. The Richmond's and Hawthorn's are perfect for this stadium in between.

Richmond have used the MCG as a home ground since the 60s and arent likely to want to move.

We have 9 football teams playing out of two stadiums at the moment. Anyone around the world would find that ridiculous. There is no home ground feel or advantage.
I strongly oppose Governments funding multiple stadiums when we have a perfectly functional one that actually isnt a white elephant for a change. the MCG is a perfect example of this. Its called getting the greatest good out of the greatest number. Further we arent anywhere else in the world, and most people find our entire code ridiculous.

Soccer and rugby are only getting bigger in Victoria and to see the Socceroos, Wallabies and international friendlies being played at the MCG is terrible, you cannot see a thing. Building this new stadium would open the state up to more events.

they arent yet anywhere big enough to demand a 75,000 seat stadium that only they would use. Socceroos, Wallabies and Origin matches arent played here often enough to justify a massive stadium.

Ground rationalisation went too far in Melbourne I reckon.

Should have kept VISY Park and perhaps downgrade Waverley Park to say a 35k ground.

Lower drawing games in Carlton and Mulgrave, higher drawing games at the 'G and Docklands.

Nine clubs in one city is rare; as are 80,000 crowds to regular season games; so too bumps and speccies and 40-point comebacks (the latter is in vogue this year). Each sport, league, and country has its reasons for things and the AFL's makes sense. I'd really, really like to be able to catch a game at Optus Oval every second weekend. But there are so many issues, it's just not worth it.

How?

The events you want to attract are the blockbusters: Big touring teams (Liverpool, Man U, British Lions) World Cups, Olympic Games, Socceroos qualifiers... they're all catered for by the Melbourne Cricket Ground. If something is too small for Etihad, the Victorian government (absolutely rightly) won't bid for it.

The population is getting bigger, football is getting bigger and so are the rectangular codes. Hawthorn and Richmond are perfectly suited to this stadium being at 75k, so are Essendon and Carlton. ODI cricket could also get a go here.

We go this far, why not go another step and allow the capability to bring in extra seats to make it 90k for rectangular games and concerts. Wallabies, Socceroos, Kangaroos (NRL), NRL grand final, state of origin, NFL expansion matches, A-League Derbies & Grand Finals. The possibilities for this stadium are endless. This would be the best in the world, no shadow of a doubt.
A
ll of the three codes Rugby,RL and Soccer that use AAMI in Melbourne are struggling to half fill the stadium most games and I dont see that changing any time soon .

To build your obsession of a 75,000 stadium would be financial madness.

Due to where I live and a lack of money, I'm mostly an armchair fan but from my point of view, I don't think there's a better stadium in the world than the MCG, never mind Australia. Even Docklands Stadium is pretty damn good but I suspect your standards in such a great sporting nation are higher than they are in my part of the UK, where we have to call Windsor Park our "national" stadium.

Of course, every poster will have their own views on the topic but I do want to say the following. Just because we do things a certain way in England/the UK and it works here, does not necessarily mean that it's better and that Australia should blindly follow suit. I like the idea of playing lots of games at the G and Docklands but as I said on the Adelaide Oval thread, it's easy to say that 10,000 miles away.

Maybe a better stadium than the MCG could be built but bigger with more history NO!

While the UK has been raised - I have been wondering through the Ashes to date whether the Poms deliberately set out to design things as ugly as they possibly can.

Take the lights at Trent Bridge and that monstrosity that is the Media Centre at Lords.

Even the new Olympic Stadium is as ugly as sin with the triangular lights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah with the history and significant MCG will be top Indefinitely.

You could definitely argue that some stadiums have a better design or view from more seats/angels etc.

My favorite venue to watch sport in is AAMI Park. Great viewing from virtually anywhere, public transport options, easy to get into and away from, plenty of food choices, bathrooms always clean, security mostly does its job (some joker is always sat in my Storm reserved seat when I arrive), playing surface is tops, PA and audio work well.
AFL wise, I'd much rather go to Etihad than the MCG, I know the 'G has all the history, but when I go they usually shove all the people up on the top deck or behind the goals, and viewing wise neither is very nice, especially in 100,000+ seat stadium. Etihad has better viewing options and is more comfortable, and that's what I'm interested in when I go to the AFL.

My favorite venue to watch sport in is AAMI Park. Great viewing from virtually anywhere, public transport options, easy to get into and away from, plenty of food choices, bathrooms always clean, security mostly does its job (some joker is always sat in my Storm reserved seat when I arrive), playing surface is tops, PA and audio work well.

AAMI is so underrated. It is absolutely perfect. Even for Heart games where you're getting 7,000, it's more a relaxing afternoon than a glum atmosphere – maybe it'd be different in July...

But I always tend to get the cheapest tickets and sit in the corners, like below the screens. Really good perspective. Plenty of leg room, close toilets, heaps of space to move in the corridors, and a leisurely walk from Flinders Street. Really, essentially, a perfect stadium.

Reckon old Perth Oval is a bit underrated since the redevelopments. The old half looks really scungey and dark, but the new part certainly makes up for it. The parklands around it, and how easy it is to access, is a bit of a positive. Looks great with those Perth skies in summer, too.

Having a look at some of the comments on here, I think the real "problem" with ANZ Stadium is that it's upset the existing way of doing things.

Before it was built, big events - finals, the Olympics - always went to the MCG, with other venues playing a supporting role, if at all.

Now the MCG has a legitimate competitor for those big events. I think that threatens a lot of people, particularly for those to whom "tradition" is important.

ANZ Stadium has corrected an anomaly that existed for a long time, where Sydney was Australia's biggest city, but had no major, Olympics-standard sports venue. Now we do, and people are still getting used to the fact it exists and the best way to relate to it.

It's also been the spur for the re-development of the MCG to what it is today, and that can only have been a good thing.

Nobody in Victoria is even remotely threatened by the existence of Stadium Australia. Compared to the hallowed turf of the MCG, the Sydney Olympic Stadium is ugly, poorly designed, too far from the CBD, and offers comparably poor viewing for spectators. It also seats over 20,000 less people.
Stadium Australia is a fairly good large capacity stadium, but I'm certain anybody would rather watch an event at the 'G any day.
Sydney isn't really Australia's "biggest" city, it is (slightly) the most populous, but that is it.

Nobody in Victoria is even remotely threatened by the existence of Stadium Australia. Compared to the hallowed turf of the MCG, the Sydney Olympic Stadium is ugly, poorly designed, too far from the CBD, and offers comparably poor viewing for spectators. It also seats over 20,000 less people.
Stadium Australia is a fairly good large capacity stadium, but I'm certain anybody would rather watch an event at the 'G any day.
Sydney isn't really Australia's "biggest" city, it is (slightly) the most populous, but that is it.

However derogatory your comparisons, the fact remains that ANZ Stadium competes successfully with the MCG for big events. And that's a good thing.

However derogatory your comparisons, the fact remains that ANZ Stadium competes successfully with the MCG for big events. And that's a good thing.

You say "derogatory", I say "realistic". There is a real sporting culture in Melbourne that Sydney can't match, that is really why we get big events, not due to the relative quality of our stadia.

You say "derogatory", I say "realistic". There is a real sporting culture in Melbourne that Sydney can't match, that is really why we get big events, not due to the relative quality of our stadia.

I agree that Melbourne has a real sporting culture, which I always enjoy when I come down to visit.

As far as Sydney is concerned, well, we haven't had the venues in the past to develop that sort of thing. Now we do, so we'll see what happens.

I think ANZ Stadium has enormous potential with soccer - for example, it's hosting the final of the Asian Cup in 2015. You can guarantee all matches played there will sell out.

I agree that Melbourne has a real sporting culture, which I always enjoy when I come down to visit.

As far as Sydney is concerned, well, we haven't had the venues in the past to develop that sort of thing. Now we do, so we'll see what happens.

I think ANZ Stadium has enormous potential with soccer - for example, it's hosting the final of the Asian Cup in 2015. You can guarantee all matches played there will sell out.

As a fan of both league and football, I disagree that Sydney has had no venues in the past. Besides that, the Olympic stadium first hosted matches in 1999, so its not like it was built yesterday.

I will remember that Asian Cup quote, would love to see 88,000 people at a Malaysia vs Singapore or Thailand Vs Indonesia game.

As a fan of both league and football, I disagree that Sydney has had no venues in the past. Besides that, the Olympic stadium first hosted matches in 1999, so its not like it was built yesterday.

I will remember that Asian Cup quote, would love to see 88,000 people at a Malaysia vs Singapore or Thailand Vs Indonesia game.

Well, I'll certainly be be going!

I think you'll find those countries have plenty of ex-pats in Sydney, even Singapore. And I seem to remember big crowds for some even more unlikely games at the rugby world cup 10 years ago.

ANZ Stadium in 2020 or over will be the best sports venue and will personally take over the MCG.

ANZ Stadium is going to be redeveloped here is the link

Remove this Banner Ad

Back