Docklands Stadium (Marvel Stadium) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised the seats are in. I thought there was a worry about the grass being damaged?

I think the stands not being moved was part of the arrangement struck with Etihad that also banned concerts in the preseason. That deal expired at the end of last year. Now Etihad are back to their normal "screw the afl" mode....4 days before friday nights Carlton v Hawks game.

I think the stands not being moved was part of the arrangement struck with Etihad that also banned concerts in the preseason. That deal expired at the end of last year. Now Etihad are back to their normal "screw the afl" mode....4 days before friday nights Carlton v Hawks game.

I think a World Cup qualifier is more important than Carlton vs Hawks...

It is indisputably the best Etihad Stadium in the world.

The English would cream themselves if they had a stadium like this.

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I was just wondering who decides whether the roof is opened for an AFL game and who decides? My only reference point is the Amsterdam ArenA with the captains deciding about 90 minutes before the game if I'm not mistaken.

I also note that one of the Lions tests will be played at Docklands (in truth I still call it the Telstra Dome as a cricket fan) - I take it the retractable seating will come in?

Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I was just wondering who decides whether the roof is opened for an AFL game and who decides? My only reference point is the Amsterdam ArenA with the captains deciding about 90 minutes before the game if I'm not mistaken.

I also note that one of the Lions tests will be played at Docklands (in truth I still call it the Telstra Dome as a cricket fan) - I take it the retractable seating will come in?

The AFL makes the decision. The roof is always closed for night games apparently. And its only closed for day games if there is a decent chance of rain. The teams get no say.

The AFL makes the decision. The roof is always closed for night games apparently. And its only closed for day games if there is a decent chance of rain. The teams get no say.

Thanks for replying. Sometimes I hear/read people complaining about the drop in skill levels and consequently the game being less of a spectacle in the wet (as I believe the game in Wellington was - quelle surprise!) but having watched Gold Coast - North Melbourne in full at the weekend, I thought it was brilliant and the conditions added to it for me. I can understand how cricket and tennis benefit immensely from a roof but for a game like "footy", the variation in climatic conditions is just another ingredient in an already interesting mix.

As you're aware, I'm pretty new to the AFL so I'm open to hearing different perspectives on the matter.

The retractable seating has never been used when I've attended a soccer, League or Union game at Etihad. Was it used in last nights World Cup qualifier?

The retractable seating has never been used when I've attended a soccer, League or Union game at Etihad. Was it used in last nights World Cup qualifier?
Yes, just for the sides though which I found interesting. Usually they bring the ends in as well.

One thing that does annoy me is they can't move the corners in. Looks weird seeing it behind the play with nobody there.

Yes, just for the sides though which I found interesting. Usually they bring the ends in as well.

One thing that does annoy me is they can't move the corners in. Looks weird seeing it behind the play with nobody there.
With the ends in too it'd be unnoticeable

They could actually sell them as obstructed view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's always closed for night games after the first couple of rounds to stop dew forming on the ground apparently.

yeah actually thats not what I said or even came close to implying.

And I am again reminded that the only people who use the term "sokkah" seem to be the soccer fraternity.

Seems that way. Paranoid lot, aren't they.

yeah actually thats not what I said or even came close to implying.

And I am again reminded that the only people who use the term "sokkah" seem to be the soccer fraternity.

misread what you said, comment retracted.

Regarding the roof with soccer.

A-League: Melbourne Victory have the say. Under Ernie Merrick he loved the roof closed and for 90% of matches it was closed. Ange on the other hand likes it open and was only closed once last season on Cup Eve v Wellington. In the Finals the FFA have the say and all matches have been played with the roof open with the exception of the 2007 Grand final that had half open half closed then fully closed due to the 40 degree heat and electrical storm passing over docklands.

Asian Champions League: Both clubs playing must agree on it being closed. This saw one game played in heavy rain 2 years ago as the clubs disagreed with one another.

FIFA World Cup Qualifier : Home team (country) has the say but however must inform 24 hours before the match if the roof will be open or closed.

You shouldn't notice any damage to the turf. The several times they have come out for soccer in the past haven't seen the turf damaged at all. With the goal ends moved in you also dont notice the pockets as you can hardly see them

What I'd like to see at Etihad for rectangular sports if the corner seating cannot be moved in along with the other bottom tier seating is to have bay covers over the corners, seeing that no-one can sit there anyway. Have it in the home teams colours and have a sponsor over it so it looks more visually appealing at the game on TV and more of the home teams colours around. Also gives sponsors chance of more exposure and they could pay for the seating to be moved in..

Examples of what I mean can be seen below (with my poor paint mock-up)

e1.png

e2.png

Judging by the amount of turf that will have to be replaced by tonight, i dont think that bringing in the stands would make that much difference to the preparation of the ground for tonight

Re moving the seats in, I think it costs about $100k for the process. I remember hearing that a few years ago.

Melbourne Victory played one match a few years ago with the seats in because they were on display for the FIFA suits who were inspecting our World Cup bid. The atmosphere was a hit and people wanted the club to do it more often, but they said it was cost prohibitive as it would be the club that has to pay for it. I'm almost certain $100k was the figure quoted. For that match though the FFA covered the bill as it was for their benefit.

The 2010 Grand Final was also played with seats in and got a crowd of 44,560. 2007 and 2009 got 55,436 and 53,273 respectively with seats in oval mode. The seats in reduce capacity to approx 45,000 so for that reason I doubt the seats will be in for the Lions tour. The corresponding match in 2001 holds the stadium record for any sporting event with over 56,000.

is the roof open for tonights game i heard that it is. not to sure though
It never is for night AFL matches, bar the NAB Cup.

It was only open for the football mid-week because Australia asked for it to be left open in order to gain an advantage over Jordan who are used to playing in 40 degree heat.

Roof closed and seats out for Wallabies v Lions Test on Saturday night. I asked on Twitter and the Stadium said that with AFL the next day they couldn't move the seats. Not sure if the ARU would have requested it anyway due to the huge crowd expected - the extra few thousand seats would definitely sell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back