Does 0.9999 equal 1?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 1, 2023
AFL Club
GWS
My opinion is that it doesn't. If one is to be one, then it has to be exactly one. Having 0.9999 is 0.0001 short of 1, which makes perfect sense.

What do you guys think? Is my opinion accurate or am I deep diving into semantics?

You're incorrect.

0.9999... (recurring) is not equal to one regardless of how many nines there are. It's still a tiny point away from being one.

There is a point at whichever unit you are using to measure will become too large for the difference between the 0.99 recurring and one that you are not able to measure it. Even the representation of the figure could use more atoms then there are in the universe on which to scribe it.

Functionally, practically, physically it will be one.

Not just practically, it is exactly one. There is no space within the real number system between 0.999 recurring and 1, so they are simply different ways of expressing a single identity.

for example

let x = 0.999…

therefore 10x = 9.999…

10x - x = 9.999… - 0.999…

9x = 9

x = 1

qed

Last edited:
  • Banned
It makes me sad to see people so horribly misinformed.

To clarify, if two numbers have different decimal representations, they must be different numbers. Since 0.9999 and 1 have distinct decimal representations, they would not be equal.

It makes me sad to see people so horribly misinformed.

To clarify, if two numbers have different decimal representations, they must be different numbers. Since 0.9999 and 1 have distinct decimal representations, they would not be equal.
But we are not comparing 0.9999 with 1 we are defining what the limit of the sequence should be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is a point at whichever unit you are using to measure will become too large for the difference between the 0.99 recurring and one that you are not able to measure it. Even the representation of the figure could use more atoms then there are in the universe on which to scribe it.

There's a difference between theoretical numbers and the real world. 1 minus 0.999 recurring is infinitesimal. It's the same as 1/∞. It's fun for calculus and thought experiments.

In the real world the difference between 1 and 0.9999 depends on context. F1 races are decided by one thousandth of a second so for that practical purpose 1 and 0.9999 of a second are the same thing. If you were making an atomic clock that same discrepancy would be failure. Same for an astrophysicist doing calculations of 1 light year compared to 0.9999 of that distance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back