Does anyone give a crap about tennis?

Remove this Banner Ad

I always love the "cricket is boring" argument, usually put up by people who simply cannot understand the game because, quite frankly, they haven't got the patience.

Tennis is there, so easy to understand, two men hitting a ball back and forward over the net until one of them makes a mistake. A bare minimum of tactics or variation, so easy for the 21st century sports fan to watch.

To enjoy Test cricket you need to be able to think, and most people don't like to do that when they are watching TV, they just want it all served up to them so they can switch the old grey matter off.

Love the argument about 5 days with no result. In this era of 3 day Test matches, when was the last time that happened? Funny that in tennis, the longer the game goes, the more an epic it becomes, but the longer cricket goes, the more boring it becomes? That just doesn't make any sense.

Besides, footy fans owe cricket a debt of gratitude. Footy was only devised to give cricketers a way of keeping fit in the off season.

I don't know how many times I've heard the "it's a thinking mans sport" line. I guess it makes cricket followers believe they're more intelligent than they are. "I can see the nuances of the game, I'm so smart.....can you pass me another smoke Shazza?".

It's really not that involved. If you've got the time, you can sit and watch it. It doesn't really require much thinking. That's up to the players out on the field. It's more an excuse to sit on the couch/ in the stands for multiple days and pretend that something more is happening inside your cranium than ever before.

Sit back on the couch and ponder where the next ball is headed....that doesn't really require great heights of intelligence.

Be honest, cricket is not some great achievement of the mind, it's a basic sport that thousands of bogans can go to and get sloshed. That's great, enjoy it, but this belief that the sport is some sort of scholars dream is far too much.

Funny that in tennis, the longer the game goes, the more an epic it becomes, but the longer cricket goes, the more boring it becomes? That just doesn't make any sense.

A very good point.

Be honest, cricket is not some great achievement of the mind, it's a basic sport that thousands of bogans can go to and get sloshed.

It's part of the many facets of cricket that your average grunt can enjoy it, as can your more refined, intelligent spectator.

For the ignorant out there...

If the Hawks showed as much grit as these dudes do week in week out, we'd be monty's every year.

Super competitive sport and the best non contact sport on the planet bar none.

These guys are true competitors:thumbsu:

I respect his right to watch and play whatever sport he wants. Don't get me wrong here.

Whatever Grizz, you should be a polilitican mate:)

You, the OP and many others have no appreciation of this sport at a high level so best you don't post coz you're showing complete ignorance here...
As I said before if our boys could show their grit, heart and determintion we'd never be in any trouble.

Nowhere to hid when you're on your own

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weirdly enough, I grew up around the game (tennis not netball)... My mum and dad were both A Grade Pennant players... my uncle played the game at the highest level. Just mostly bores me to tears now.

You, the OP and many others have no appreciation of this sport at a high level so best you don't post coz you're showing complete ignorance here...
As I said before if our boys could show their grit, heart and determintion we'd never be in any trouble.

Opinions are a funny thing arn't they, everyone has one.

That's a relief then. For a moment there I thought you were dissing our great Australian sport while secretly playing NZ's national sport.
Nope, not I.

Football and a bit of a basketball. Former tennis player as well, as you may have guessed.

Geez, taking it all a bit personally there Rioliustar...last name's not Tomic or Hewitt or something is it? ;)

My OP was simply asking (slightly tongue in cheek) if anyone actually cares about Tennis on this board. Clearly, by your response, you do, but we've found precious few others that do.

Ignorance? Well, I was ignorant as to the percentage of Hawks supporters on BigFooty that follow tennis, yes...but I'm starting to develop an understanding!

FWIW, while I don't follow the game closely, I'm a fan of Nadal and to a lesser extent Djokovic. While I appreciate Federer's abilities and achievements, he reminds me too much of Hymie the robot in Get Smart in the lack of personality he exhibits. The final of the Aus Open was a incredible display of endurance and tenacity (although the Federer/Nadal semi was a better display of skill, I thought) that will be hard to top.

Do you play any sport/s in your free time Grizz? Doesn't seem right to rag on such a fit, healthy man (Echols we're talk about) for playing a sport even if it is a rigid one like Netball. :cool:

Grizz doesn't get free time.

If you're a sports fan of any kind and you couldn't get something out of last night's game, you must be dead from the neck up...

Oh well I must be dead from the neck up. Two minutes of watching Nadal pick the jocks out of his arse crack is all I can handle (don't get me started on the 30 bounces of the ball before each serve, the towel down after every point, the grunting, the groaning). I find it simply unwatchable. This coming from a sports addict - baseball, golf, test cricket love it all.

Oh well I must be dead from the neck up. Two minutes of watching Nadal pick the jocks out of his arse crack is all I can handle (don't get me started on the 30 bounces of the ball before each serve, the towel down after every point, the grunting, the groaning). I find it simply unwatchable. This coming from a sports addict - baseball, golf, test cricket love it all.

Poor you....

Do you play any sport/s in your free time Grizz? Doesn't seem right to rag on such a fit, healthy man (Echols we're talk about) for playing a sport even if it is a rigid one like Netball. :cool:

Does Jenga count?

I don't know how many times I've heard the "it's a thinking mans sport" line. I guess it makes cricket followers believe they're more intelligent than they are. "I can see the nuances of the game, I'm so smart.....can you pass me another smoke Shazza?".

It's really not that involved. If you've got the time, you can sit and watch it. It doesn't really require much thinking. That's up to the players out on the field. It's more an excuse to sit on the couch/ in the stands for multiple days and pretend that something more is happening inside your cranium than ever before.

Sit back on the couch and ponder where the next ball is headed....that doesn't really require great heights of intelligence.

Be honest, cricket is not some great achievement of the mind, it's a basic sport that thousands of bogans can go to and get sloshed. That's great, enjoy it, but this belief that the sport is some sort of scholars dream is far too much.

So seriously with you on this one it's not funny mate.

Cricket is a game that time has passed by, so much so that even it administrators are struggling to reinvent it for the modern world.

As for this s**t that the Australian captaincy is the second most important job in Australia - puhlease <eyes roll back in head> even Fev outsmarted the current 'second most important man in Australia'.

That looks good on the resume - Fev's sloppy seconds.

Spare me the bullshit about this game as if it is some higher power - it's just a neanderthal old custom that is hardly more relevant today than jousting or croquet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back