Review Dogs defeat Giants 86-71

Remove this Banner Ad

Also saw something about Arthur Jones when watching him live last week. Not saying he's 100% even going to make it as a footballer, but I just noticed something about the way he moves & plays that suggest he COULD be something very special for us. Same thing I noticed with Dahl's first few games with us. Ofc he turned out to be pretty average, but had some good years, & his first year every time he touched it he made something happen. Noticed something similar about Arty is all, I'm glad he's backed it up & now my expectations for him go up again. Could be the star small fwd we have been craving.
Gee you're an incredibly hard marker. Dahl was brilliant for a few years and more than serviceable for others. he had one below average year with us which was his last and he had already decided to leave before that season started.

Last edited:
Just to refresh some memories. Luke Dahlhaus 2016 finals series.
Average 27 disposals, 8 tackles. Now I think that's a little better than someone who "turned out average". After 2016, yes he fell off a cliff, but we got the best footy out of him and he was a vital cog in the premiership.

SeasonRndVersusKHDMHOTFFFAGBSCRatW/L
2016GFSydney10132330830000100Win
2016PFGWS Giants17153290310000121Win
2016SFHawthorn716231070200078Win
2016EFWest Coast12172960910117132Win

Average 27 disposals, 8 tackles. Now I think that's a little better than someone who "turned out average". After 2016, yes he fell off a cliff, but we got the best footy out of him and he was a vital cog in the premiership.

They seem very high to me
I thought his finals series was very mediocre.
He certainly couldn’t hit a side of a barn , so that’s a lot of turnovers.
And 1 goal as a mostly small forward.

Yep.

Up to 2016, and early 2017, the Dahl was an integral part of the side. Seemed to drop off fairly quickly after that.

I'd love to know what really happened behind the scenes with our version of the 'Rat Pack' - and what part Dahl (allegedly) played in it all...

And no hitouts either. Pfffft.

He was absolutely a vital cog. Got gifted 3 free kicks in the granny. We need to remember we only won because of the umpiring, am I right?😉.

Gee you're an incredibly hard marker. Dahl was brilliant for a few years and serviceable for others. he had one below average year with us which was his last and he had already decided to leave before that season started.

I was including his geelong years as well, which I thought were far from his best. No doubt he was mostly very good for us.

There was a period where Dal was the spark for the whole team. He was the one that made stuff happen and other blokes followed.
It was a bad time when Dahl first played and he was one of the few kids that provided hope. He also formed a kids club and got involved in a lot of off field marketing to help us through the dark times. Agree that he was pretty bad on field and off in 2017 and worse in 2018 though. But I would take that for the 6 years of hope and excitement he gave us.

It was a bad time when Dahl first played and he was one of the few kids that provided hope. He also formed a kids club and got involved in a lot of off field marketing to help us through the dark times. Agree that he was pretty bad on field and off in 2017 and worse in 2018 though. But I would take that for the 6 years of hope and excitement he gave us.
Dahl formed the kids club? Surely that would have been the marketing crowd who just seized the obvious opportunity and enlisted him as required.

Agree he was exciting those first 2-3 years when he just played his instinctive game. Losing his naïveté marked the beginning of the end.

Dahl formed the kids club? Surely that would have been the marketing crowd who just seized the obvious opportunity and enlisted him as required.

Agree he was exciting those first 2-3 years when he just played his instinctive game. Losing his naïveté marked the beginning of the end.

Yep, he was the face of the club, but had no input in its creation, other than being asked - and agreeing - to be the face. He was one of the more marketable players at the time, with his dreadlock-ish hairstyle and energy. We still use a couple of my kids' (now young adults) backpacks for the footy with his Dahlhaus Club House caricature on them.
Sadly they outlasted both his career with us, and AFL career in its entirety.

My daughter had a lifesize cut-out of him as a growth chart for years too on her wall - he was her favourite as a child. In fact he was the only player she really knew at the time - now she has memorised the entire list and follows them all on Insta! Progress, eh?!

Wrong again Harold. He played exclusively in the middle. Him and Libba were tackling and harassing's beasts throughout the year and in the finals. To be honest, it was our pressure at all costs, self belief, the right mix of players and desire which won us those finals and grandfinal.

Wrong again Harold. He played exclusively in the middle. Him and Libba were tackling and harassing's beasts throughout the year and in the finals. To be honest, it was our pressure at all costs, self belief, the right mix of players and desire which won us those finals and grandfinal.

You dare to question the king! Beware of your head my friend!

(For any obsessive fans - like myself - of the original Get Smart.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unquestionably his best game, his breakout game, where outsiders and non-believers are starting to see it with him.

The last few games seem to have given him the confidence that he belongs. Now that the anxiety is slipping away he's going out and expressing himself more without being self-conscious about whether he'll hold his spot. Playing more "in the moment". He has also owned up to working hard on his game with his great mate Cody. It's starting to show.

So his ball handling has improved 500% from last year. He is starting to put on clever moves that I think will become a feature of his game in the coming years. He handled the greasy ball with ease and he has surprisingly sticky hands. He has good unteachable footy nous. I was impressed with his mark and goal from just outside the 50. He also laid on the last goal that Naughton kicked to ice the game.

There's more, but I haven't quite thought it all through yet. He has a fair bit of ticker and an appetite for being in the action (without being an in-and-under type). It's also about the team dynamic. We need more of this type player in the side. Not so much for the tricks and bits of individual brilliance (although they are always welcome!) but for his contribution to a flowing game. That's something we have lost over the last few years since our flag. I think he's the sort of player that will help us play more attractive and hopefully more fluid and effective football again. I know he's in the side as a small forward but I thought he looked good when he was up around the middle too.

Not sure what his ceiling will be but even if it's only as a B-grader you can build a flag-winning side if you have a bunch of players like Arty backing up the bona fide stars like Bont, Naughton and English.
Bit of discussion in the T&LM Thread about midfielder replacements for Treloar. For the record, I'm ruling out Richards as a replacement for Treloar as he's too valuable in defence. A Williams Macrae combo for mine in the interim.

But, down the track, given the little flashes we saw from Arty up the ground the other night, he might be a great pinch hitter eventually in the middle and around stoppages. A bit like Rioli was able to do at certain times. It's deep in the 4th in a final, we're trying to win the game, Arty, Bont and Libba....anything could happen.

Very early days in Arty's career but I'm seeing him as a little bit Eddie Betts and a little bit Cyril Rioli. And his irrepressible enthusiasm is brilliant.

Bit of discussion in the T&LM Thread about midfielder replacements for Treloar. For the record, I'm ruling out Richards as a replacement for Treloar as he's too valuable in defence. A Williams Macrae combo for mine in the interim.

But, down the track, given the little flashes we saw from Arty up the ground the other night, he might be a great pinch hitter eventually in the middle and around stoppages. A bit like Rioli was able to do at certain times. It's deep in the 4th in a final, we're trying to win the game, Arty, Bont and Libba....anything could happen.

Very early days in Arty's career but I'm seeing him as a little bit Eddie Betts and a little bit Cyril Rioli. And his irrepressible enthusiasm is brilliant.
Early days. He’s very light. Cyril was a robust kid from day one which helped him make an instant impact.
I worry about comparisons with Cyril or Eddie even though I knew you’re only talking role not output. They were two superb players and the expectation could be crushing.

It could pan out like that but I’d rather we let him be his own player for now.

Early days. He’s very light. Cyril was a robust kid from day one which helped him make an instant impact.
I worry about comparisons with Cyril or Eddie even though I knew you’re only talking role not output. They were two superb players and the expectation could be crushing.

It could pan out like that but I’d rather we let him be his own player for now.
This is true. I'm in the excited about possibilities camp rather than the placing unrealistic expectations on him one.

His blend of attributes, some of which were on show for the first time against GWS, is well, just good for footy...and us.

I can see a situation where, pinch hitting, his pace and creativity in the space of CBs at a time when everyone is getting tired (4th quarter) but we have parity in the ruck could be ...... compulsive viewing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back