Opinion Dom Sheed

Remove this Banner Ad

At least his dummy wasn't just a one off thing. He tried it about 3 more times against the bombers. Soon he'll have one as good as Matts ;)

Hahaha I swear he's been reading this thread and thought they loved that dummy thing I did against Adelaide I'll just do that all game ;)

You can see sheed has a good inside game. Has the tools and talent but need to bulk up and gets some confidence to get in and win it . A couple of preseason will do him wonders .
Just wish that he can show more of an outside game to complement his inside talents . I want him to use his spread and work rate to link up and take some marks around the ground . Even get some cheap touches in the back line and show he can use the ball by foot instead of always being under pressure when kicking

Now that we are getting games into him you can see the improve in confidence and play.
Just need to keep getting games into him.

On a more serious note he does pick targets and tries not to waste his disposal, which was why he got caught on the weekend. He is good in tight and can win his own ball which is a great starting point. Strong in a tackle and can lay them. If he can pick up a little more speed and endurance and get a little more length on his kicks he will plug a hole in the midfield we have been missing.
Could he possibly fill the Kerr void?????

Strength to shrug the odd tackle already - a few preseasons and he should be good - love how he tries to assess the best option rather than just get rid of it - if he can learn to ride a tackle and still get that disposal out after picking the best option we will have a player.

Have a Rising Star in your team doesn't guarantee success (for the player or the team). Developing a player into a consistent contributor who will play an influential role in the team should be the ultimate goal. While some young players i.e. Heppell, Judd, Selwood can do this immediately they are few and far between.
My point though was that we haven't had too many kids come in and show something to get excited about. McGovern and Yeo aside.

Exactly. No rising star nominations since 2011. That's 3 seasons.

Sheed technically still has 2 games to scrape a nom.
It's actually three nominations in the last 100 matches - which was my original point. The last one before Shuey was Naitanui at the start of 2010.

Gov, Lycett and Big Tones might have gotten nominated if younger, but still.

Whether it's a selection thing or development/recruiting, the point still stands that WC supporters are hungry for a kid to pin their hopes on, and as such all performances are magnified - be it a sidestep or a miskick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. No rising star nominations since 2011. That's 3 seasons.

Sheed technically still has 2 games to scrape a nom.

2011 onwards has been dominated by the expansion teams, it's not like in the past when it would get shared around between clubs.

In addition for the 2012 Season we picked up Murray, so we know there's issues around that. 2013 season we traded away our first rounder, and our first live pick was at 45, it's no surprise.

We still have a young team. Will also expect the rising star to get passed around more teams again as the GWS kids grow out of eligibility and the draft is less compromised.

2011 onwards has been dominated by the expansion teams, it's not like in the past when it would get shared around between clubs.

In addition for the 2012 Season we picked up Murray, so we know there's issues around that. 2013 season we traded away our first rounder, and our first live pick was at 45, it's no surprise.

We still have a young team.

I realize that, but it's THOSE decisions we are questioning.

Trading away our first rounder for Sharrod FFS.

I realize that, but it's THOSE decisions we are questioning.

Trading away our first rounder for Sharrod FFS.
So we knew that Newman would go bash someone?

In 2011 we came fourth, followed that up with an injury riddled season and fifth spot, i think the club was entitled to think we were a real chance to hit the top 4 in 2013 and make some real waves, and as such trading for Wellingham can be justified.

I'm sure all the captain hindsights didn't see the 2013 season imploding like it did.

Newman had two seasons to play before being sentenced though. Also, I reckon you'd see a normal spread of nominations between all clubs, not just GC and GWS.

Edit - GWS got 8 in 2012, but GC have only had 8 since their inception. In the same time Bulldogs have also had 8 and Adelaide 7, so it's not as if it's completely swayed.

Last edited:
That was a horrible pass. I'm pretty sure it was for SHuey anyway. If it was for Darling it sat on him and it required a good contested mark

Was kicked to Darling's left hand side, while his opponent was on his right. If he kicked it at Darling then it was a freakish kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back