News DONE DEAL: Patrick Ryder traded to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, we could all use a dose of Matt Priddis humility at times. I'm all for sticking it up the people who were potting us while we were down and who now find themselves in the poo. But to say "Club X and club Y are s**t so who'd want to go there" is pretty rich when you think where we were two years ago.

Not saying we are going to turn it around overnight, but to say Ryder is guaranteed not to win a premiership with us (or GWS) is surprising to hear from Port fans.

And yeah, we lost a lot of young players last year but made lemonade from it pretty quickly. Taylor, Gardiner, McStay, Robertson who have all extended their contracts and look settled.

Wasn't saying for a second that Port isn't the most appealing option. You've got the most to offer short term in a football sense, have more of a structural need for him, and have a great proven environment for indigenous players. We are basically relying on geography if we are to get Ryder.
& the wife and a few more scheckels

& the wife and a few more scheckels

Yeah, by geography I meant the wife connection, but we can probably afford to throw more money at Ryder too, front loaded.

Yeah, we could all use a dose of Matt Priddis humility at times. I'm all for sticking it up the people who were potting us while we were down and who now find themselves in the poo. But to say "Club X and club Y are s**t so who'd want to go there" is pretty rich when you think where we were two years ago.

Yep. We should be the last to write off other teams. Ultimately, we all start on zero points next season.

Yeah, I find it a bit rich coming from supporters of our club claiming things like that considering where we were in 2012. Brisbane seem to be setting things up quite nicely for a promising future. I'm beginning to understand why they got rid of Voss for Leppitsch tbqh.

They got rid of Voss for Roos.

Lost both and ended up winning with Leppitsch.

Fwiw I think getting rid of Voss was a mistake, however it has been the catalyst for the club purging some of the clowns that were purporting to be running the place. Leppa came in with the lowest expectations of any coach in living memory. We still have a long way to go but as others have posted humility takes you a long way.

I agree ... Leppitsch had a bit of the "last man standing" aura about him for me, and looks to be following in Kenny's mold, ending up the "best man standing." I think Voss is a good coach, but came in too early, and Roos was a good coach, but doesnt seem the right fit to turn around struggling clubs. Tough love is needed (ala Kenny at Port), but Roos seems to have the tough part, but falls short in the love part.

I am sure Brisbane would love to have Ryder, but they just dont need him! I dont see him as being a good fit there at all! Same with GWS ... crazy if he goes there with all their big men, he would be doing that only to appease the EFC as they will get a better deal from them. Football-wise, Port is far and away the best destination for him! That is not denigrating the other two teams in any way ... it is purely based on who is the best "fit" for where he is in his career.

To be fair to Voss, this isn't the first time the Lions have had an 'end of season' revival. I agree they improved a lot but only next year will we know if Leppitsch has made in roads.

brisbane's drafting has been very good the last few years. Their problem is the forward line and if they get Ryder i do see massive improvement in them next year. I think they could push into that mid table, bottom half of the 8 group with adelaide, west coast, richmond, Essendon*, and gold coast

brisbane's drafting has been very good the last few years. Their problem is the forward line and if they get Ryder i do see massive improvement in them next year. I think they could push into that mid table, bottom half of the 8 group with adelaide, west coast, richmond, Essendon*, and gold coast
Ryder is a litmus test for us as a club - we are coming from a long way back - if he comes to us it will be a big filip for us on and off field.

Ryder is a litmus test for us as a club - we are coming from a long way back - if he comes to us it will be a big filip for us on and off field.

It would definitely be a filip but not getting him doesn't necessarily mean we haven't progessed. Ryder has some genuinely appealing options to choose from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would definitely be a filip but not getting him doesn't necessarily mean we haven't progessed. Ryder has some genuinely appealing options to choose from.
Totally agree - no lose situation for us.

I think it's a no lose situation for both clubs - the reasons for choosing either club are different. The only similarity is that both clubs aren't in Victoria.

No Lose?

We'd be a better side with him in it, not having him is a loss for me. You could say that about a lot of players, but not every day a player of his calibre and almost perfection for what we need becomes available and shows an interest in coming to us. It will be a rather the large loss for us and somebody elses gain.

We are primed for a big signing now.. Ryder, Cameron.. someone like that

While i dont mind seeing names like Day and Gorringe mentioned we are neck deep in a premiership window right now and its time we grabbed a big name(s) to compliment it and push for the premiership

I loved Whitey and Polec this year and they have improved us.. but this season i want to see a star player or 2 come to Port

No one can say we arent an attractive destination now... and if our recruitment department have any nouse they should be able to get this done

and Yes Yes i know COLA and all.. but if Sydney can grab Tippett and Franklin in 2 years then why cant we grab someone of the same ilk

It’s all well & good that we want a star player but I don’t really know how we can get one without giving something up. The only players that could be considered stars that would be “free” are Frawley & Malceski. And I haven’t heard anything about us being into them.

We could get Ryder on the cheap with the ASADA stuff but that is a risk in itself and from going by the “sources” it seems no-one really knows what Paddy is planning to do.

So if it’s not Ryder I can’t see how we would land a big fish this off-season? Someone like GWS aren’t going to trade a Jeremy Cameron for a first-rounder, Ben Newton & Butch. And I don’t want us to trade a required first 22 player if he doesn’t want to leave. We’ve had a lot of players show loyalty when things weren’t going well, would be very hypocritical of Port to not show the same respect back (which I am sure we wouldn't).

Would have thought Port fans would be the last to say stuff like this, you are the model for turning things around quickly.

Would like to think we've subscribed heavily to the Port rejuvenation plan, starting with getting the off-field pillars right, Lethal on the board (and chairman in everything but name), Greg Swann as CEO, Leppitsch as coach. Backing youth, implementing a proactive, attacking gameplan...

Long way to go obviously, but hopeful we can defy the doomsayers.

Please don't associate said poster with the view of any sane Port fan!

Brisbane definitely looking as though they are heading in the right direction.

No Lose?

We'd be a better side with him in it, not having him is a loss for me. You could say that about a lot of players, but not every day a player of his calibre and almost perfection for what we need becomes available and shows an interest in coming to us. It will be a rather the large loss for us and somebody elses gain.

Opportunity lost yes, but not a loss in the sense that it would be a poor reflection on either club. That was the context I was using.

Fwiw I think getting rid of Voss was a mistake, however it has been the catalyst for the club purging some of the clowns that were purporting to be running the place. Leppa came in with the lowest expectations of any coach in living memory. We still have a long way to go but as others have posted humility takes you a long way.

Took Primus about 2100 k's.:p

Would have thought Port fans would be the last to say stuff like this, you are the model for turning things around quickly.

Would like to think we've subscribed heavily to the Port rejuvenation plan, starting with getting the off-field pillars right, Lethal on the board (and chairman in everything but name), Greg Swann as CEO, Leppitsch as coach. Backing youth, implementing a proactive, attacking gameplan...

Long way to go obviously, but hopeful we can defy the doomsayers.

Yeah whatever, with all of your wank on the Brissie board about Polec your opinion is slightly above meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back