C: Daniel Stewart, Ben Newton, Mitch Banner
HB:Marlon Motlop, Jake Pasini,
Brendon Achee
FB: Josh Sinn, Logan Austin, Joel Garner

Ruck: Sam Hayes, Adam Thomson, Joe Atley

Bench: Daniel Bass, Nick Salter, Jack Watts, Ryan Willits

Lmao at Josh Sinn, he’s still on our list… for now anyway

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This is why coaches shouldn't have a say in drafting. Wasn't the only time Choc overruled the recruiters.

Yeah, it certainly feels like there are far more horror stories than successes.

Chris Hall

One of the purest ‘wrong place, wrong time’ players of the new millennium.

The fact he was able to twice break into what was a nigh-invincible team, as an undrafted sub-180cm midfielder, speaks volumes as to just how prolifically dominant he was at SANFL level at that time.

Would’ve been an engine room regular if he’d landed somewhere like Pagan’s Carlton or Schwab’s Hawthorn.

Krakouer fits this thread. He left us right when he started looking like an AFL player.

Only lasted 1 year at GC and then somehow found his way back onto our list after getting fat and old.
Drugs, teenage pregnancies, dropping off the grid, getting fat and old & could still drill a goal from 50 off one step at the Gee when he came back.

Copped a bad concussion didn't he?

Absolutely obliterated by Tyson Stenglein during the club’s first 100+ point loss at AFL level.

Looked an absolute steal in limited gametime up to that point — ended up being his last game.

Drugs, teenage pregnancies, dropping off the grid, getting fat and old & could still drill a goal from 50 off one step at the Gee when he came back.
He also had a 16 touch, 5 goal, 2 assist game for GC in the first 'showdown' against the Lions.

and another one obviously Campbell Heath. Gun 3rd tall defender who had a lot of injuries.

Just looked it up how's the commentary from The Duck? the world sure has changed

Yeah, I remember being more annoyed by Andrew Embley carrying on and stepping over him afterwards — I can’t remember if Stenglein copped a week or not with the prevailing attitude being that Eckermann lacked awareness if anything.

The uproar today would be absolutely next level — there’s a still shot of Eckermann on the spinal board afterwards (available if you search his surname on AFL Photos), and he looks like he’s dead.

Yeah, I remember being more annoyed by Andrew Embley carrying on and stepping over him afterwards — I can’t remember if Stenglein copped a week or not with the prevailing attitude being that Eckermann lacked awareness if anything.

The uproar today would be absolutely next level — there’s a still shot of Eckermann on the spinal board afterwards (available if you search his surname on AFL Photos), and he looks like he’s dead.
Ending the career of a teenager was never so warmly accepted.

I still think that Mitch Banner was stiff.

He was one of our best players during the 303 fortnight against Collingwood & Hawthorn in 2011.

He was killing it in 2012 for the Magpies but still couldn’t get a senior game for us despite how s**t we were that year, and was then delisted.

I mean, of course you still would have taken Rory Sloane with Pick 42, but still.

If you want to see what he got....one ******* game. One.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the class action for concussion presents its case, I reckon this would be one of the incidents that gets shown.

Total knock out concussion.
Severe fencing response.
Young player never plays again.
Commentary downplaying the action.
Paltry 1 game suspension.

Interestingly, this incident happened only a few months after Pickett got hit with 6 games for his bump on Begley.

We get screwed both ways.

That stepping over a prostrate and obviously injured player by Embley was absolutely disgraceful, and from memory the wet toast crowd response wasn't that flash either, but no great surprise there.

Re Eckerman's lack of awareness, I can distinctly recall him leaving himself wide open on the grandstand wing in a Maggies v Sturt game at Alberton oval with Choppy Pickett only a few metres away, and Pickett immediately holding his arms out and saying something which appeared to be along the lines of `mate I could have put you over the fence!'

Last edited:
That stepping over a prostate and obviously injured player by Embley was absolutely disgraceful, and from memory the wet toast crowd response wasn't that flash either, but no great surprise there.

Re Eckerman's lack of awareness, I can distinctly recall him leaving himself wide open on the grandstand wing in a Maggies v Sturt game at Alberton oval with Choppy Pickett only a few metres away, and Pickett immediately holding his arms out and saying something which appeared to be along the lines of `mate I could have put you over the fence!'
stepping over a prostate :straining:

I'm never going to give up hope in Damon White.

Daniel Flynn could have been a very good winger if he settled in Australia.

Shame we are not using the Cat B spots for these types of players, you never know when one will work, worth the punt I think.
People keep liking this post so I went on twitter and found a few gaelic footy clips of him. He's still going, turns 30 this year.

People keep liking this post so I went on twitter and found a few gaelic footy clips of him. He's still going, turns 30 this year.

At 190cms and with a fair bit of bulk and raw power to go with his speed, athleticism and technical prowess, he could’ve made prime Jake Stringer look passé.

I read an article/interview with him awhile ago where he bemoaned the isolation of living in Adelaide and would’ve preferred to go to a team in Melbourne.

At 190cms and with a fair bit of bulk and raw power to go with his speed, athleticism and technical prowess, he could’ve made prime Jake Stringer look passé.

I read an article/interview with him awhile ago where he bemoaned the isolation of living in Adelaide and would’ve preferred to go to a team in Melbourne.

Those last two goals in particular.

Casually nails one from an angle on his left, then drills the latter after a couple of solos on his right.

🙃

I've heard he wasn't too much for mixing with the boys away from the club, you can be homesick & isolate yourself in New York if that's your headspace at the time.

I'd have to go with Adam Heuskes. AA in his first year at Port (age 21) he was a great attacking and rebounding defender that year. Due to being a waste of space as a human being and a seeming lack of desire to get the most out of his football career he went into decline, being traded to the Lions for the 1999 season before retiring at the age of 24.

At 190cm weighing about 92kg when fit, he read the play, had a great field kick and could have been so much more. Dare I say he was ahead of his time as a running, intercepting medium defender.

Stuart Dew frustrated the hell out of me. Even though he was a regular player for us and had a couple of very good seasons, I felt he fell far short of his potential. If he had managed to lose weight and increase his fitness he could have been a much better player with a booming left kick that set him apart from most other players at the time.

He seemed to lose interest in the game, retiring at 27 when most players are reaching their peak. Played some good minutes in the Hawthorn 2008 Grand Final but once again they were in spite of his weight, fitness levels and preparation rather than because of them.

Two gifted players that made Wingard look like the consumate professional.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back