Computers & Internet Downloading crackdown

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I use utorrent and when I download a movie I set upload on 1kb so maybe I upload 1mb for a whole movie. But I don't think it would matter if you uploaded 1kb or 100gb they will treat it the same...

How are they going to know how much you've uploaded though? They can't go asking for thousands of dollars on the assumption that you've downloaded more than the other person. Surely the judge that reads the letters before they're sent out wouldn't allow it.

They've got a free hit now, why would they limit themselves to a period less than 2 months?

Thats the period they ran the tracking software according to the article:

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/dallas-buyers-club-wins-access-to-iinet-customer-information/
Dallas Buyers Club used a German program known as MaverickEye to detect IP addresses in torrent swarms between April 2 and May 27, 2014. According to an affidavit signed by expert witness and MaverickEye employee Daniel Macek, the software "mimics a user willing to act as a source of data," though "no actual transfer takes place." Once a file seeder -- someone sharing the file with other users -- is detected and a "sub-piece" of the film is received, the connection is terminated and the seeder's IP address, city and ISP is logged with a time stamp.

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/dallas-buyers-club-wins-access-to-iinet-customer-information/

So according to that article, it doesnt matter how much you've seeded, so long as their tracking software has triggered that you have been seeding it, within that 2 month time frame, then you have been caught.

I read another article that said they have access to another 6000 IPs ready to go, so it seems they may have done another secondary scan to get more names. Whether that means those that downloaded DBC prior to April 2 get a free pass I dont know, or whether that information is retrievable for them, who knows.

VPN, private trackers or not, it seems this is all just a ticking time bomb now.

Thats the period they ran the tracking software according to the article:

So according to that article, it doesnt matter how much you've seeded, so long as their tracking software has triggered that you have been seeding it, within that 2 month time frame, then you have been caught.

I read another article that said they have access to another 6000 IPs ready to go, so it seems they may have done another secondary scan to get more names. Whether that means those that downloaded DBC prior to April 2 get a free pass I dont know, or whether that information is retrievable for them, who knows.

VPN, private trackers or not, it seems this is all just a ticking time bomb now.
So, only those who torrented/seeded the film get stung? Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't a way around this simply be just to stream it or something (like from a video hosting website) and avoid uploading/sharing any content and therefore the potential wrath of a copyright breach should Dallas Buyers Club open the floodgates or something?

So, only those who torrented/seeded the film get stung? Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn't a way around this simply be just to stream it or something (like from a video hosting website) and avoid uploading/sharing any content and therefore the potential wrath of a copyright breach should Dallas Buyers Club open the floodgates or something?

Cant imagine it being to hard to shut down those sites. Yes more and more will pop up but I am guessing a simple letter in most cases would be enough to have copyrighted content removed.

Who is gonna be chasing a new website every week to watch tv shows for example, if they start being very vigilant?

Cant imagine it being to hard to shut down those sites. Yes more and more will pop up but I am guessing a simple letter in most cases would be enough to have copyrighted content removed.

Who is gonna be chasing a new website every week to watch tv shows for example, if they start being very vigilant?
Oh of course they'd be easy to shutdown (it'd be even easy for the content owners to get their content taken down with a quick letter). But alas, *plenty* are out there - the world can only be so vigilant...

Thats what I was wondering in my previous post.

So essentially it is like during a bank robbery being someone in the bank at the time, and the only eyewitness leaves just before the robbery starts. Then everyone in the bank (customers, staff and robbers) get charged with robbing the bank!

Can't see how just being there is enough to prove anything, when they don't even bother to get data on how much you uploaded!

Not that I've ever heard of this movie, let alone downloaded it... Could you run a defence based on the tribunal's finding in the Essendon case? i.e. "Yes I downloaded a file named Dallas_Buyers_Club.avi, but when I opened it, the file turned out to be some random pr0n movie. You can't prove those bits and bytes were actually a representation of Dallas Buyers Club."

Not that I've ever heard of this movie, let alone downloaded it... Could you run a defence based on the tribunal's finding in the Essendon case? i.e. "Yes I downloaded a file named Dallas_Buyers_Club.avi, but when I opened it, the file turned out to be some random pr0n movie. You can't prove those bits and bytes were actually a representation of Dallas Buyers Club."

Lol get over it. You should really read how they caught the downloaders and you wouldnt look so dumb.

Even if iinet play the our records don't go back that far the decision has set a precedent for once metadata retention comes in and will make it super easy to do in future.

Why have Australian users been targeted?

https://www.choice.com.au/shopping/...rticles/tpp-secretly-trading-away-your-rights

The whole idea of a VPN is to mask your IP is it not? So all they would be tracking is the random IP

Well I use utorrent and when I download a movie I set upload on 1kb so maybe I upload 1mb for a whole movie. But I don't think it would matter if you uploaded 1kb or 100gb they will treat it the same...

I would think they be after those who were actually seeding the movie rather than those leeching, that is - those providing a full copy of the flick for download by others. I assume their tracking software was able to make that distinction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think they be after those who were actually seeding the movie rather than those leeching, that is - those providing a full copy of the flick for download by others. I assume their tracking software was able to make that distinction.

Not according to how their tracking software runs:

"Once a file seeder -- someone sharing the file with other users -- is detected and a "sub-piece" of the film is received, the connection is terminated and the seeder's IP address, city and ISP is logged with a time stamp".

Looks like it doesnt make any distinction between how much someone has seeded, just the fact that someone was seeding it.

Not according to how their tracking software runs:

"Once a file seeder -- someone sharing the file with other users -- is detected and a "sub-piece" of the film is received, the connection is terminated and the seeder's IP address, city and ISP is logged with a time stamp".

Looks like it doesnt make any distinction between how much someone has seeded, just the fact that someone was seeding it.

fair enough, I know it wasn't a blockbuster but ~ 4000 'seeders' sounds like a low number though for a period of almost 2 months. So I wonder if the torrent software is what identifies who is a 'seeder' & who is a 'leecher', & that is what the tracking software used to identify these seeders. Any techies got an idea?

who the hell downloads movies anymore?

stream that s**t!
I assume this is the giant loophole to get around being caught up in something like this in the future.

But it seems to be rather odd when thought about in a legal sense - 'you can watch and consume our product illegally, we can't be bothered proving you did that, just as long as you definitely don't share/upload a single byte of data.'

I assume this is the giant loophole to get around being caught up in something like this in the future.

But it seems to be rather odd when thought about in a legal sense - 'you can watch and consume our product illegally, we can't be bothered proving you did that, just as long as you definitely don't share/upload a single byte of data.'
Going after the dealers, not the users

the issue is that the copyright states you cannot posses distribute or broadcast. if the product is not in your possession you aren't legally bound by it. the legal definition of "viewing" isn't "watching" its the act of putting it on for other people.

Iinet customer here.......

Geez i've seen a fair few people on social media sites saying " Oh downloading is illegal , i hope they get caught !! "

CM-Punk-laughing-at-Stephanie.gif

Could THOSE people be any bigger flogs ??
Sort of kids who used to follow the teacher around at recess and lunch.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back