Draft Pick 71: Cameron Sutcliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: FFC Welcomes Pick 71

To use this pick on Sutcliffe, you would guess another club had him in their sights, or he is vital to our midfield plans.
But if we dont get talls in the rookie draft, and the ones we are targeting are gone, seems either way is a gamble, But with more mids I know for sure Pav will play forward more.

I will be at every home game next year and if Cam Sutcliffe gets a game I will be cheering when he gets a touch. You can bet on that. But there is a difference between placing your faith in the Freo recruiting team (whether blindly or not) and having an opinion. As I have said throughout the thread, we were the first team to pull on the pin on Sutcliffe and at pick 71. I can't predict the future but there is a strong chance that he would of ended up in the rookie draft if we hadn't recruited him at 71. As I have said there were talented players still around who have done everything right all year to give themselves the best chance of being drafted. Just because they weren't selected doesn't mean they won't go on to have very good careers if picked up in the rookie draft.

I am stunned that I even had to bother with the professor in regards to the latin which I briefly mentioned.
Yes, we were the first club to pick Sutcliffe and at pick 71. But the same can be said for every player picked in the draft. GSW were the first to pick Jonathan Patten and at pick 1. We can't pick them if somebody else already has.
I think that Sutcliffe was probably about 50 or so on our order to pick and the other 49 had already gone. The names that were hyped up in the press and bigfooty must have been rated lower by FFC than they rated Sutcliffe. I'm pretty sure that everyone who missed out on getting drafted has perceived weaknesses that meant they were overlooked.
Sutcliffe is apparently a great trainer, and it's quite likely that Port Adelaide had him earmarked for their first rookie spot, which would have meant we lose him. As I said before, history shows us the chances of success with such a low pick are very low, so even if he does fail, it's very hard to blame the club for that.

Yes, we were the first club to pick Sutcliffe and at pick 71. But the same can be said for every player picked in the draft. GSW were the first to pick Jonathan Patten and at pick 1. We can't pick them if somebody else already has.
I think that Sutcliffe was probably about 50 or so on our order to pick and the other 49 had already gone. The names that were hyped up in the press and bigfooty must have been rated lower by FFC than they rated Sutcliffe. I'm pretty sure that everyone who missed out on getting drafted has perceived weaknesses that meant they were overlooked.
Sutcliffe is apparently a great trainer, and it's quite likely that Port Adelaide had him earmarked for their first rookie spot, which would have meant we lose him. As I said before, history shows us the chances of success with such a low pick are very low, so even if he does fail, it's very hard to blame the club for that.

After our pick 71 there were only two othe live picks in the draft and they belonged to the Gold Coast. I just think if we wanted him we could of got him in the rookie draft. Seriously though the last two pages of this thread should be deleted. One thing I do like is that Barlow said on his Roving Mike segment that he has impressed a few of the boys with his skills on both feet on the track.

Port have asked Nick Lower's twin to train with them. They may have asked Sutcliffe as well. We get our first Rookie Draft pick after GWS, GC, Port, Brisbane and Richmond.
I hope we get talls in the Rookie Draft. From what Chris has said there are quite a few to choose from, but all will need to work on their weaknesses.

all of this is semantics anyhow, we could have selected frost at 71 and had the same argument as to why we didnt select sutcliffe because we could have picked up frost in the draft. what is done is done, the club are happy with it, so im thinking we should be anyhow, and if we''re not there is SFA we can do about it.

After our pick 71 there were only two othe live picks in the draft and they belonged to the Gold Coast. I just think if we wanted him we could of got him in the rookie draft.

So what you're saying is that we should have either:

a) Picked someone else less speculative with pick 71; or
b) passed on pick 71 and had another pick in the PSD?

Anyone at 71 is speculative, there aren't any guaranteed gems that other clubs have missed. And I'm hoping you're not on the Leon Davis bandwagon.

So what you're saying is that we should have either:

a) Picked someone else less speculative with pick 71; or
b) passed on pick 71 and had another pick in the PSD?

Anyone at 71 is speculative, there aren't any guaranteed gems that other clubs have missed. And I'm hoping you're not on the Leon Davis bandwagon.

Clearly the talls just are not rated; ergo, don't pick them. No point selecting a tall because he is tall. I simply can't see the thread-worthiness of trashing the selection at pick 70+. In these regions of the draft (including Rookie), getting a project tall is fine, but much more important to hit the established players like Dawson, Bradley and Anthony for depth.

There are a couple of excellent draft review threads on the D&T board in which our draft is generally rated as pretty damm good by the resident BF experts.

Drafts and Trading board.

We're a nice bunch over there. Some posters watch a lot of junior football and really know their stuff. Others, well others just do a Google search on a player and then do a very good job of pretending they know what they're talking about. :p

Loved how in the last 5 minutes on the weekend, with the game well and truly over, Sutcliffe still ran back with the flight in the middle of the ground without any regard for his wellbeing.

Good start son!:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved how in the last 5 minutes on the weekend, with the game well and truly over, Sutcliffe still ran back with the flight in the middle of the ground without any regard for his wellbeing.

Good start son!:thumbsu:

Yes thats the type of player we need. Push it to the limit until the end. I think next season with a full pre season and the experience from this year he will develop into a good player.

I thought he played his best game for the season yesterday. Coming along very nicely

Love the fact when he soccered the ball towards goal, he then beat 2 or 3 defenders to follow the ball over the line. He wanted the goal more than the defenders didnt want the goal. Great effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back