AFLW Dreamtime, Richmond vs Essendon. 7:20pm Ikon Park, Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

That's interesting with Caruso - as I mentioned have not seen the game yet. Caruso fits the bill of what you are proposing though and maybe the gap is bigger than we realise. Just the one game is a poor sample size though.

These are SHosking's season and career stats:

View attachment 1831650

Bit harsh using 2023 stats for Sarah when she has had 2 hamstring injuries. She had a lot of ice applied to the right hammy after the game at the weekend too so I reckon she was rushed back as we have little else, though I'd like to see Wickstead play more TOG especially through the midfield.

Last year Sarah averaged 15.6 touches (Mon averaged 21), 5.4 tackles and 3.9 clearances.
1697426157702.png

I’ve always had a theory that average players are pretty well finished by 28 ,,,,don’t think the hoskos are an exception to my theory

I don't think Ferguson knows where to play Jess. For me she's a defender, too slow to play in the forward line which he tried. I reckon as a bigger body back there, she is better to play as a sort of stopper role (albeit not on the talls) but she could take a mid size player. Allows Shevlin then to roll off and play HB and rebound along with Sheeren. Those 2 (along with the G train) are our longest kicks of the footy and enable us to bye pass the press that you see so often in the womens game, but we aren't really giving Shevlin the opportunity to play that role as she has to focus too much on defence. Dropping Cox and allowing Jess Hosking (obviously not this year now) to take that Midsizer frees Shevlin up to do what she does best and IMO thats kicking the footy and running our of defence with it (much like Sheerin).

Bit harsh using 2023 stats for Sarah when she has had 2 hamstring injuries. She had a lot of ice applied to the right hammy after the game at the weekend too so I reckon she was rushed back as we have little else, though I'd like to see Wickstead play more TOG especially through the midfield.

Last year Sarah averaged 15.6 touches (Mon averaged 21), 5.4 tackles and 3.9 clearances.
View attachment 1832281
I agree with the sentiment, but it was more about going forward into 2024 than looking too far back. 2022 Season was very good for Sarah and the team, which when you take that out makes her career stats drop as well. It is why I used full career and not just this season or that season.

Also said, that in my world she is part of 2024, and that was in response to some comments indicating we might be best letting her go.....

Last edited:
I don't think Ferguson knows where to play Jess. For me she's a defender, too slow to play in the forward line which he tried. I reckon as a bigger body back there, she is better to play as a sort of stopper role (albeit not on the talls) but she could take a mid size player. Allows Shevlin then to roll off and play HB and rebound along with Sheeren. Those 2 (along with the G train) are our longest kicks of the footy and enable us to bye pass the press that you see so often in the womens game, but we aren't really giving Shevlin the opportunity to play that role as she has to focus too much on defence. Dropping Cox and allowing Jess Hosking (obviously not this year now) to take that Midsizer frees Shevlin up to do what she does best and IMO thats kicking the footy and running our of defence with it (much like Sheerin).
Agree again. If Jess bounces back injury wise, I really liked her of half back. She has the composure down back, look for a player leading up and I recall last season did this to good effect. I'm with you, I think Ferg struggles a bit with finding a spot for her, which is remarkable given the form she had back there at times.

I think she is better back there than Beth Lynch - free Beth up for more mid time.

Agree again. If Jess bounces back injury wise, I really liked her of half back. She has the composure down back, look for a player leading up and I recall last season did this to good effect. I'm with you, I think Ferg struggles a bit with finding a spot for her, which is remarkable given the form she had back there at times.

I think she is better back there than Beth Lynch - free Beth up for more mid time.
Is a decent mark , will struggle coming back from that ankle

This team really lacks leadership and professionalism. Fergo would be on notice. Hawks and essendon playing better team games and they joined the comp last season.

I've banged on for ages about it, but their social media antics demonstrate to me a partial complacency and just happy to be a part of it rather than be a true professional team unit

Remove this Banner Ad

Back