Duck and Lift!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we had given up on my posts. Before you call my bias, watch his starting and finish position....it's hardly dramatic and at no stage does Redman attempt to go lower. Remember bias works both ways and a bloke called Walters also lowers himself on a regular basis.....history wouldn't treat Ballantyne particularly well either
I conceded that Walters was a knee dropper previously.
If OPSM are too busy, maybe Laubman and Pank, or Specsavers will fit you in.

I conceded that Walters was a knee dropper previously.
If OPSM are too busy, maybe Laubman and Pank, or Specsavers will fit you in.
And I've never commented on these issues at all until the afl made a mess of this. My points reference the rules whereas many others refer personal hatred for Ginnivan....I wonder if you take issue with them....

And I've never commented on these issues at all until the afl made a mess of this. My points reference the rules whereas many others refer personal hatred for Ginnivan....I wonder if you take issue with them....
I don't HATE anyone. I just don't like the way he milks free kicks and makes other look like the the bad guy.
But he will learn the hard way no doubt.
I wonder who will get the blame when he gets a broken neck because he went down on his knees.

Any unbiased viewer can see Ginnivan choosing to run at Redman when he had many other options to evade being tackled. He was watching redman with no intent to dispose, dropped at the last minute and then did the patented punch move straight away. Then he dropped the ball.

JG initiated contact, therefore no high free can be paid
JG dropped the ball, should be a free kick
Redman continued the head high "sleeper hold", should be a free kick
Both frees close to instantaneous, ump doesnt seperate, chooses to ball up
Ive got no problem with the on field decision
I do have a problem with the AFL highlighting only 1 of the infractions and therefore arriving at what I regard as an incorrect decision. Further inflaming the situation.

Move on, hopefully JG starts trying to avoid tackles rather than initiating them. If he cant change he'll be a liability for the team.

I don't HATE anyone. I just don't like the way he milks free kicks and makes other look like the the bad guy.
But he will learn the hard way no doubt.
I wonder who will get the blame when he gets a broken neck because he went down on his knees.
And I can name a player in every team whose behaviour is questionable. Jack Riewolt spends all his time faking contact, complaining and pressuring umpires and gets off every week. This focus on JG has been completely disproportionate. The afl only creates a secondary problem by changing interpretation every 2 weeks

Last night free kicks were paid to Pickett and Viney where both clearly lowered their bodies/ducked prior to being taken high. Hopefully the same interpretation is extended to Jack Ginnivan from now on.

Interested to know the thoughts of Melbourne supporting poster #danster168 on the justification for those free kicks being paid. After all he’s been most vitriolic in his abuse of Ginnivan and his assertion that he can have his head ripped off, and should not receive a free kick under any circumstances.

No doubt #danster168 will come up with another hypocritical, bulls..t rationale to justify why free kicks were paid to his players last night, but shouldn’t be paid to Ginnivan, under exactly the same circumstances.

Last edited:
Last night free kicks were paid to Pickett and Viney where both clearly lowered their bodies/ducked prior to being taken high. Hopefully the same interpretation is extended to Jack Ginnivan from now on.

Interested to know the thoughts of Melbourne supporting poster Danster168 on the justification for those free kicks being paid. After all he’s been most vitriolic in his abuse of Ginnivan and his assertion that he can have his head ripped off, and should not receive a free kick under any circumstances.

No doubt Danster168 will come up with another hypocritical, bulls..t rationale to justify why free kicks were paid to his players last night, but shouldn’t be paid to Ginnivan, under exactly the same circumstances.
dont hold your breathe. F.O.S.

So on June 6 2022 the afl said he should have been awarded frees... tgis was 6 weeks ago?
It is still too tiggy touchwood! And it was about the head, now the umps have been told to look at it differently it has taken the audience away from
being infuriated by frees, that should not have been there, ever.

Now I know all who follow to the hilt the decisions as ok will argue, but the over the shoulder was for head high protection.
But the AFL rules had the slightest touch as a means to give a free kick.

Its taken a lot of the contest away, players on the chase nearly catching an opponent barely just pulls him up great chase but like I say a fingernail touches above that shoulder, and gageing that by an ump is guess work@!
And it happens so fast that umpires see it and respond bingo, off goes that bleeding whistle, a free to the runner the chaser gets no benefit, whats he do stop.

There are only a few speedsters that can run down a flying opponent with the ball, so most tackles like that or tackled players who duck twist throw their heads back really if that's not cheating what is,The chaser got nothing, but those with the tricks got free kick after free kick!

People having this debate have to understand the subject is about insignificant rules that favour one person not an opponent, our game is based on contest and contact if your scared to tackle because of trigger happy umpires, why tackle at all.
Why had the AFL up to now almost killed the degree of power a player puts into his game.

Remember head high and injury has to be pulled up and penalised, but so far since this last couple of weeks, those frees thank the lord are UNCALLED, and make it much less frustrating to watch. Its actually becoming some fun.

But we easily pleased said nothing for years!!!!!!! Well I did. heh heh heh!

Hawkins averages 0.8 free kicks a game over his career. Franklin 1.2 but sure the umpires fall over themsleves to award Tom frees
Watching a different sport , and Tom gets more like 8 frees a game , bit exaggerated, but you must be watching the wrong games, and ,
you do follow the pussy cats and.... stats are full of David King bulldust, for point scoring.
My eyes tell me what I see. But you should be OK for the flag! I don't write down the things I see happen to Franklin in Sydney, I just see them, so I can't argue with your statistics, if they are accurate, but I also see Tom get at least 2 frees a week from what are bulldust, and good luck to him.
But he is good enough to not have to sneak up and push people on the back for a shot.
Like your bloke Selwood doesn't need to cheat his way into free kicks, he's better than that , but he has the habit, and he is almost done , so a Premiership would be nice from good play not sleezing out frees.

if you can - put aside his history from 30 years ago. Is he right on this matter or do you know better than him?
I reckon he's wrong.

My understanding of AFL footy, ever since I started playing as an 8yo in the U10s, up until I retired to become a full-time drinker at age 24 - was that footy was a glorified version of British Bulldogs.

The tackler could not tackle you above the shoulder, unless you ducked. He could not push you in the back.
Aside from that, the onus was on you to legally get rid of the pill when you had it otherwise your were gone if you got caught.

I always saw this as the difference between soccer and basketball, and footy. In those sports the ball was yours if you had it. In footy, you were f**ked if you had it.
I always felt the onus was squarely on me to avoid a tackle and legally get rid of it.

The ducking aspect to the rule is the key here. Your head has always been protected, unless you duck. Basically, if you caused the high contact it was stiff s**t.

So I don't really understand what Matthews is talking about with this one.

Watching a different sport , and Tom gets more like 8 frees a game , bit exaggerated, but you must be watching the wrong games, and ,
you do follow the pussy cats and.... stats are full of David King bulldust, for point scoring.
My eyes tell me what I see. But you should be OK for the flag! I don't write down the things I see happen to Franklin in Sydney, I just see them, so I can't argue with your statistics, if they are accurate, but I also see Tom get at least 2 frees a week from what are bulldust, and good luck to him.
But he is good enough to not have to sneak up and push people on the back for a shot.
Like your bloke Selwood doesn't need to cheat his way into free kicks, he's better than that , but he has the habit, and he is almost done , so a Premiership would be nice from good play not sleezing out frees.

It must be nice to just make up all your facts to suit your arguments.

Hawkins has received 11 frees this season from 19 games. In only one game has he got multiple frees and that was two.

That is a far cry from 2 a week.

How can anyone criticise Selwood given all the knocks he has copped and blood he has shed is beyond me. He obviously puts his head over the ball more than just about any other player in the history of the game. If the AFL is serious about protecting a player’s head in a contest, then dropping the knees is irrelevant (not that I agree with that accusation anyway).

I think - and it’s only my opinion, of course - if a player gets to the ball first, then it is up to the tackler to lay a tackle in such a way so that the player in possession of the ball doesn’t get any benefit from allegedly ‘dropping’ his knees - if the tackle ends up too high for any reason, too bad. The free must be rewarded.

The head has to be protected regardless of the circumstances otherwise the AFL is going to be sued big-time one day. Also, whoever is first to the ball must be rewarded.

This goes for Selwood, Ginnivan or whoever.

My two cents worth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back