Dustin Martin - Mid, Forward or Hybrid?

Remove this Banner Ad

70% forward 30% midfield. Put him in the guts at crucial times of the game, for example if the opposition team has kicked a couple of quick ones and look like they are gathering momentum, chuck Dusty in there, he will be fresh and with his football smarts and strength over the ball he should be able to help get the ball going our way, or clear a path for the likes of Cotch, Conca to win the clearance.

I don't see teams double teaming Dusty up forward if we have the likes of Riewoldt and Griff roaming in there, so if we can get him one out either on the lead or in a strength one on one contest he will win the contest more often then not.
I agree with some of the sentiments that he has the ability to kick 50+ goals a year from now on if we keep him in this role.
Its very encouraging to have a player with this type of versatility, future is looking bright!

Last edited:
So sick of hearing about how he needs to 'build his tank'. After 5 preseasons he should be up to speed and at peak fitness. Maybe he is just not gifted aerobically. Luckily he could be a champion forward who can spend 30% game time in the middle and still tear games open.

Edit: Or maybe lay off the glass bbq.

Last edited:

Still reckon we are under-utilising Dusty...

Re-watching the Lions game again it gave me the shits hearing the commentators (including Richo) talk about Dusty needing to build his tank to fully play in the mid-filed etc. etc.
Sure, all players until they get to around the mid-20's continue to build fitness/endurance and some are naturally more aerobically gifted than others.

Thing is, in Martin's first few years he was playing predominantly in the middle, with stints on the bench or up forward.

Still averaged 22 odd possessions per game and 1.5 goals per game from the middle.
Now playing more as a forward, averaging 22 odd possessions per game and 1.6 goals.

Sure he ran out of puff as an 18/19 year old but he was bashing it up in the guts with men.

Still remember the Carlton game what 2 years ago when late in the 4th, he battled with 2 Blues from the wing back to our forward pocket... chasing and harassing and contesting and eventually killed the contest and locked it in.

Right now, (especially with Lids out) we miss more Martin midfield time.
He would be more likely to create going long through the middle rather than a piss-weak 16 metre lateral safe chip kick. (Grigg)
Would bust through and kick longer to Griff or Jack into an open forward line.

OK - so he is not as aerobically capable to play 80-90% midfield but he needs to be in there for as long as possible.
Kid is being wasted a playing up forward too much - costing the team.

Develop other available forward options (Lloyd, Lennon) and let Martin bust up the centre and pump it long into the forward 50 like we loved him doing a couple of years ago.
definatley needs to play mainly as a forward with about 33% midfield 67% forward,,, isolate deep in the goal square for the long kick griff at chf jack at ff and lloyd gordy and bicky on the flanks and pockets

Reminds me of Steve Johnson more than Chapman to be honest. Can kick the mercurial goal but can also play inside the centre square and get his hands on the ball first. That being said, I'd start him in the centre square, and then push him forward straight after.

Martin should be played more permanently forward at the moment. maybe later in his career (but not too much later I hope!) he can move more into the middle, not unlike Stevie J.

We need another dangerous threat up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the sake of Fantasy Footballers of all stripes, please tell Hardwick to put him back on the ball, or resting in the forward line, like last year. Crazy to play someone like him away from the contest. Won't even mention the switch to defence.

Sorry about today's loss.

Should have let him go at the end of last year.

Does nothing apart from give a few don't argues every game.

Could be anything if he actually had a defensive side to his game. Also be nice when he went mid he actually played bash and crash in and under rather than the Shaun Grigg impersonation he does at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back