Each Club's First Million Dollar Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Capper claims he was the first million dollar player in the AFL but in reality he was getting paid $333k each year for three years. So if you're out there Caps, forget about it. Your club doesn't even exist anymore.
warrick claims many things:confused:
he might of had some promotional and sponsorship deals included.

warrick claims many things:confused:
he might of had some promotional and sponsorship deals included.
Probably. I'm sure Christopher Skase gave him a mansion and a Ferrari to go with the highest salary in the VFL (at the time).

Hird has probably had it at least once.

Same with Lloyd.

Next one could be Watson or Goddard.

And we could easily pay Fletcher that much and only have half under the cap!

Think the most Hird or Lloyd ever got was 750K a year. Watson is on about 800K a year and BJ 750K a year - but by the time they will next be out of contract I doubt they will be in a position to command seven figures even if they are still playing at a high level due to their ages.

I thought it would be interesting to look into each club's first million dollar player as the salary cap rises year by year. Just in case you are confused, million dollar player means a player that earned at least $1,000,000 in a single year. I'm just going to go on what I have heard in the past so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adelaide - None
Brisbane - Jonathan Brown
Carlton - Chris Judd
Collingwood - None
Essendon - None
Fremantle - Aaron Sandilands or Matthew Pavlich
Geelong - None
Gold Coast - Gary Ablett Jr
Greater Western Sydney - Tom Scully
Hawthorn - None
Melbourne - None
North Melbourne - None
Port Adelaide - None
Richmond - None
St Kilda - Nick Riewoldt
Sydney - Lance Franklin (Tony Lockett maybe?)
West Coast - None
Western Bulldogs - None

Discuss.

Wasn't Tom Scully's dad the first $1000000 recipient at GWS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss had
a heavy back ended contract
was a veteran - ie half would have been outside the cap
played in 2006 but stayed on the 2007 list even though he didn't play because if he got paid out in 2007 Brisbane would have broken the cap by plenty.

I reckon he is the $900,001 - $1,000,000 player in 2006.
Depending on how his contract was structured he either is
i) the $1,000,001+ player in 2007 or
ii) he is one of the 2 players in the $800,001 - $900,000 band. There was nobody in the $900,001 - $1,000,000 band in 2007. Voss may have only
got minimum match payments re his match payments component of his contract, which in 2006 was about $2,200 per game so his payments would have gone down by at least $48,400 if his base payment was the same in 2007 as 2006. But who knows how much his base might have increased in 2007 over 2006 given media reports he was on a heavily back ended contract.

I thought it would be interesting to look into each club's first million dollar player as the salary cap rises year by year. Just in case you are confused, million dollar player means a player that earned at least $1,000,000 in a single year. I'm just going to go on what I have heard in the past so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adelaide - None
Brisbane - Jonathan Brown
Carlton - Chris Judd
Collingwood - None
Essendon - None
Fremantle - Aaron Sandilands or Matthew Pavlich
Geelong - None
Gold Coast - Gary Ablett Jr
Greater Western Sydney - Tom Scully
Hawthorn - None
Melbourne - None
North Melbourne - None
Port Adelaide - None
Richmond - None
St Kilda - Nick Riewoldt
Sydney - Lance Franklin (Tony Lockett maybe?)
West Coast - None
Western Bulldogs - None

Discuss.

Hawkins next year should get there, Selwood deserves it, yet won't get it.

WB: Tom Boyd?

Hawkins next year should get there, Selwood deserves it, yet won't get it.

WB: Tom Boyd?

Boyd is on 2nd year draftee wages next year, then a slight pay rise to around 1.5M per annum.....

As a doggies supporter, how do you feel? Worth it?

It's a bloody long answer actually.

There are only a handful of guys across the competition with the ability/potential that Boyd has - some are established and some are relatively unproven. Obviously harder to get an established guy unless you are one of the competitions big clubs - which we clearly arent.

As a club, we've always struggled to get this type of player - we've ended up with the smaller bodied types (Grant, Everitt, Walsh) rather than the real power forwards. Structurally, he'll improve our side in 2015 - regardless of how he performs himself. Crameri and Stringer will get the 2nd/3rd forwards for at least part of the time - which they didn't last year.

We've had a s**t off season (largely) and have taken the chance to get a potential matchwinner in - and we've paid well and truly over for it. But, if you do the maths, we can actually afford it. We'll have a difficult balancing act to keep everyone happy in the years to come - but the likes of Libba, Macrae, Stringer and Bontempelli are locked away (in some cases to the end of 2017) - so we have a little bit of time to sort things out.

The way the AFL is run, we are deliberately disadvantaged and will struggle to be successful unless we take some risks. This is a bloody big one, but you can't tell yet how it will work out.

We now have most of the building blocks needed for a successful tilt - we just need time and development into the kids and hope that they all stay together. Another KPD and some midfield speed wouldn't go astray...

We haven't made this sort of move in a long time - high risk/high reward. Boyd will be doing well if he earns that money, but we aren't just paying on performances to date or potential, we've also paid for length of contract with us, the fact he was contracted and the fact we don't have the profile or performances at the moment to attract big names for less cash...

Interestingly, as soon as we made this move, the old 'have to restrict the length of contracts argument' came up again. I wonder why....

It's a bloody long answer actually.

There are only a handful of guys across the competition with the ability/potential that Boyd has - some are established and some are relatively unproven. Obviously harder to get an established guy unless you are one of the competitions big clubs - which we clearly arent.

As a club, we've always struggled to get this type of player - we've ended up with the smaller bodied types (Grant, Everitt, Walsh) rather than the real power forwards. Structurally, he'll improve our side in 2015 - regardless of how he performs himself. Crameri and Stringer will get the 2nd/3rd forwards for at least part of the time - which they didn't last year.

We've had a s**t off season (largely) and have taken the chance to get a potential matchwinner in - and we've paid well and truly over for it. But, if you do the maths, we can actually afford it. We'll have a difficult balancing act to keep everyone happy in the years to come - but the likes of Libba, Macrae, Stringer and Bontempelli are locked away (in some cases to the end of 2017) - so we have a little bit of time to sort things out.

The way the AFL is run, we are deliberately disadvantaged and will struggle to be successful unless we take some risks. This is a bloody big one, but you can't tell yet how it will work out.

We now have most of the building blocks needed for a successful tilt - we just need time and development into the kids and hope that they all stay together. Another KPD and some midfield speed wouldn't go astray...

We haven't made this sort of move in a long time - high risk/high reward. Boyd will be doing well if he earns that money, but we aren't just paying on performances to date or potential, we've also paid for length of contract with us, the fact he was contracted and the fact we don't have the profile or performances at the moment to attract big names for less cash...

Interestingly, as soon as we made this move, the old 'have to restrict the length of contracts argument' came up again. I wonder why....

Very valid point, but hey, Tom Hawkins was laughed at up until 2011, so keep patient and I think it could pay dividends, he is a beast of a kid, and with Stringer and Crameri, you're starting to build a pretty young and dangerous fwd line. Hopefully he pays off.

Very valid point, but hey, Tom Hawkins was laughed at up until 2011, so keep patient and I think it could pay dividends, he is a beast of a kid, and with Stringer and Crameri, you're starting to build a pretty young and dangerous fwd line. Hopefully he pays off.

Exactly. If you look through the real dominant/potentially dominant KPF list - it's pretty small. Hawkins, Cloke, Pav, Walker, Tippett, Buddy, Roughie, NRoo, JRoo, Cameron, Patton, Lynch, Kennedy, Schulz (I'm sure I've missed a few here). Not every club has one. We do now though....

We also need to see what we add in the off season. If we can bring some outside run and skills in, we're a chance to have a much more balanced coherent side in 12 months time... The majority of which will be 24 and under....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back