Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Matera & Waterman looking prospects:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/15935226/another-matera-in-wings/

Co-ordinator Brad Smith said 21 players attended. West Coast intended to make it an annual event provided they could find a major sponsor for the program.
The fathers of nine of the 21 played the 100 games for the Eagles needed to make them eligible for father-son selection.
"It is the second year we have done it and for a few reasons," Smith said.
"The first is to re-engage with our past players and their kids. We want to make sure we appreciate and don't forget the contributions that their fathers made to the footy club.
"If we do get one, two or three players out of that, it is a bonus, but we want to make sure that we are a family club and appreciate contributions no matter how big or small.

How long has Matera lived in Victoria? Could this be a factor in his choice to say yes/no in going as a F/S?

Parents split apparently. He lives with his mum.

As for saying yes/no to F/S picks... you'd think if he wanted nothing to do with the WCE, then he wouldn't come to the F/S Academy.

As for saying yes/no to F/S picks... you'd think if he wanted nothing to do with the WCE, then he wouldn't come to the F/S Academy.

According to the article he's a regular in the rooms when the Eagles play in Melbourne as well

Who knows, might have done it to make his father happy? He's still go 2 years to decide what he wants to do. Marc Murphy trained with the Lions in Brisbane for a few weeks two years in a row before his draft, yet he still decided to not go via F/S.

Who knows, might have done it to make his father happy? He's still go 2 years to decide what he wants to do. Marc Murphy trained with the Lions in Brisbane for a few weeks two years in a row before his draft, yet he still decided to not go via F/S.
His dad had a huge say in Murphy deciding to stay in the draft. I think Matera would push for his son to go west

His dad had a huge say in Murphy deciding to stay in the draft. I think Matera would push for his son to go west

If it was Fitzroy and not Brisbane then Murphy would have probably gone to the lions

The only person who probably isn't all that keen on him moving back to WA is his current coach (step dad).

On the general father son front things are starting to look pretty good. The top two are looking good at the moment and the rest are said to have some talent.

Alec Waterman in 2014
Jordan Matera in 2015
Zane Sumich in 2016
Jake Waterman in 2017
Kyle Hart in 2017/18

If it was Fitzroy and not Brisbane then Murphy would have probably gone to the lions

There's been quotes since saying that if Brisbane was based in Melbourne, he would've gone to the Lions. It wasn't really a Fitzroy thing, it was a "don't want to leave home" thing.

The only person who probably isn't all that keen on him moving back to WA is his current coach (step dad).

On the general father son front things are starting to look pretty good. The top two are looking good at the moment and the rest are said to have some talent.

Alec Waterman in 2014
Jordan Matera in 2015
Zane Sumich in 2016
Jake Waterman in 2017
Kyle Hart in 2017/18

Don't forget Zac Mainwaring, has already shown he can perform on the big stage ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an interesting point and could depend on how Jordan wants to approach it.

IIRC Wally was furious when the Suns picked up Brandon as a 17yo. He really really wanted Brandon to stay in WA, ideally with the Eagles. Of course Wally didn't have the games for West Coast to pick him up through the F/S, but I think that year (2010) West Coast finished last? So they would have had prime pickings for him if they wanted.

Brandon had his own ideas I guess. I recall reading that one of the reasons he decided to join the Suns, along with one of the reasons he re-signed was that he wanted to escape the shadow of the Matera name and forge his own career. Without always being compared to the other Matera's I suppose.

I wonder if Jordan will feel the same?

This is an interesting point and could depend on how Jordan wants to approach it.

IIRC Wally was furious when the Suns picked up Brandon as a 17yo. He really really wanted Brandon to stay in WA, ideally with the Eagles. Of course Wally didn't have the games for West Coast to pick him up through the F/S, but I think that year (2010) West Coast finished last? So they would have had prime pickings for him if they wanted.

Brandon had his own ideas I guess. I recall reading that one of the reasons he decided to join the Suns, along with one of the reasons he re-signed was that he wanted to escape the shadow of the Matera name and forge his own career. Without always being compared to the other Matera's I suppose.

I wonder if Jordan will feel the same?

Brandon wanted to play for West Coast, but didn't have the opportunity to do so. He was an Essendon fan and was talked around to moving to the Suns rather than winding up in an unknown location.

The situation is nothing alike.

Huh. That's very different to what I remember reading. Oh well. Journos to never be trusted I suppose! :D

A lot of different things were written, to begin with Brandon didn't want to go or at least wasn't certain.

If he was a FS prospect he would have picked the Eagles.

One of the main benefits of fatherson for a kid (and his family) is certainty. You know exactly where you will be going and can plan accordingly. Blues told Murphy they would take him #1, so he had certainty. Matera had certainty by being pre-selected by GCS. Even if Matera didnt love the idea of playing for WC for some reason, knowing where he will go is much better than going into the draft and raffle his future to Brissie, Gold Coast, Adelaide etc. I think he would need to have pretty serious reservations to just enter the draft, having a famous dad play for the club would not be one of them, especially if he has been introduced to the club over 5yrs like he will have been.

Interesting that Matera seems to be an inside grunt.

Very exciting times, funny to think Waterman could be on our list at the end of next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back