Ed Cowan - Where's he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

How bad was his intl record when he was dropped?

18 tests / 32 innings, 1001 runs @ 31.28 with 1 century and 6 half centuries.

Made 0 & 14 in the first test in the 2013 Ashes and was dropped. In the previous 4 test series in India he made 29, 32, 4, 44, 86, 8, 38, 24.

Not the worst record in the world, but not the best. More of a nurdler than a strokemaker and made a score between 20 and 50 12 times in his 32 innings. Didn't convert those starts into 50s then didn't convert his 50s into hundreds. If he could roll the arm over a bit he would'v been in the test side for a decade...

I'm a fan of Ed, but he always seemed like he scored less than he should. He didn't have that ability to take quick singles or work the ball around the field. Interestingly of the top five runscorers in the last shield season he had the best strike rate with 60.82 so a guy who goes back to shield and works on his deficiencies could be a handy addition.

He has similar strengths as Rogers. Hangs in, blunts the new ball. But Rogers doesn't share the weaknesses. He can switch a gear and is more fluent. If Cowan has developed on his game he can do a job but I think the selectors have moved away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The main problem with him was the lack of 50s and 100s. Selectors loooove potential. Look at Smith and Warner. Their early stats were rubbish but they showed what they were capable of at their best.

Shaun Marsh comes in and scores 100 on debut and gets a million chances despite making god knows how many scores less than 10. Cowan kept making 20 odd then getting out, so for a similar average there's no sign that's capable of any better. FWIW I'm not advocating that Marsh will come good. He won't.

Plenty of cricketers have begun playing for NSW and then left for another state, but is Cowan the first New South Welshman to leave and then go back?
Steve Small went to Tassie and then went back.

Plenty of cricketers have begun playing for NSW and then left for another state, but is Cowan the first New South Welshman to leave and then go back?
Michael Bevan was a slightly different one. ACT born, but I think originally in a NSW squad. Played in SA because he was at the academy, then returned to NSW a couple of years later.

Michael Bevan was a slightly different one. ACT born, but I think originally in a NSW squad. Played in SA because he was at the academy, then returned to NSW a couple of years later.

Come to think of it, Nathan Lyon made the same journey, while being a groundskeeper at Adelaide Oval rather than being at the Cricket Academy.

i wasnt aware of his decision to return to nsw until today via twitter

fSw3vM.png

if rogers retires (he prob will) the move back to sydney will work wonders for ed. less travel expenses for team Australia camps!

he had committed to Tassie, but he and his wife virginna lette had a baby ,and they saw it as a couple, a good idea to return to sidneeeeeeeee
unfortunately for Ed , i think Lehman ( not of the same intellect)was not a fan of his playing style, ie still be their at lunch on the first day, however they bring in Rogers , who they then ask to play the roll Ed had played.
Unfortunatley cricket in Aussie is run by a few mostly NSW players admin, and PRESS,with their own agenda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back