Ed Cowan - Where's he at?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's a coffee seller now who plays cricket sometimes.

Post Rogers and Clarke we will have two locks in Warner and Smith and you'd think they would now give M.Marsh a good run at #6 so they are going to need 3 bats.

Top 10 run scorers in the shield - Voges, Klinger, Bancroft, Ferguson, Cowan, Burns, Stoinis, Nevill, S.Marsh, Quiney.

Nevill is already the keeper. S.Marsh very likely to take one spot. Two spots to fill. Cowan is not the worst on that list. Will be interesting to see what the NSW selectors do with him. You'd say he is done but it isn't necessarily so with the complete dearth of batting talent and if Warner happened to get injured any opener in the country that was scoring runs at the time in the shield could walk into the test team.

Trouble is, he played 17 tests or so didn't he? That's a lot to play for not very much return.

And it's not like he's been Rogers like on the county circuit or during his first class career.

His partnership with Warner for the first wicket averages around 44 IIRC, which is very respectable. Always struggled to score a decent number of runs, but was pretty reliable at blunting the new ball.

If you're looking for a solid top order to protect a bunch of young bats coming through, you could do a lot worse than Warner and Smith playing around Cowan. He ain't Rogers, but I reckon he's about the only other batsman in Australia who can fill the same role.

Post Rogers and Clarke we will have two locks in Warner and Smith and you'd think they would now give M.Marsh a good run at #6 so they are going to need 3 bats.

Top 10 run scorers in the shield - Voges, Klinger, Bancroft, Ferguson, Cowan, Burns, Stoinis, Nevill, S.Marsh, Quiney.

Nevill is already the keeper. S.Marsh very likely to take one spot. Two spots to fill. Cowan is not the worst on that list. Will be interesting to see what the NSW selectors do with him. You'd say he is done but it isn't necessarily so with the complete dearth of batting talent and if Warner happened to get injured any opener in the country that was scoring runs at the time in the shield could walk into the test team.

NSW will play him in every shield match he is available in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which should be all?

His record isn't good enough surely to persist with him over a younger guy/more talented guy with close enough to similar Shield record?

Not that I follow Shield cricket particularly closely.

His record should make him pretty much the first batsman selected by NSW

Which should be all?

His record isn't good enough surely to persist with him over a younger guy/more talented guy with close enough to similar Shield record?

Not that I follow Shield cricket particularly closely.

Not when it's Scott Henry

I wonder if he's got past the annoying habit he has of doing all the hard work to get himself set, then throwing his wicket away with some form of brain explosion.

It was painful to watch him being so careful then completely doing a Brad Hadds impersonation for one ball which always seemed to cost him.

Bloody funny though and reliable in that it was going to happen. You could see it coming.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back