Eddie McGuire reveals $1b plan to replace Etihad Stadium with new indoor venue near MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

This is probably nuts but it might be possible. Knock down Edihad and build where Eddie is suggesting, the AFL buys the land and builds the stadium using their own money but instead of building a traditional stadium the AFL build the worlds first completely underground stadium, and then the AFL leases out the land on top of the stadium, allowing businesses to build sky scrapers on top. I am not sure if it is possible from an engineering point of view but I think the AFL would make a fortune in rent if it was possible.

This is probably nuts but it might be possible. Knock down Edihad and build where Eddie is suggesting, the AFL buys the land and builds the stadium using their own money but instead of building a traditional stadium the AFL build the worlds first completely underground stadium, and then the AFL leases out the land on top of the stadium, allowing businesses to build sky scrapers on top. I am not sure if it is possible from an engineering point of view but I think the AFL would make a fortune in rent if it was possible.

Boo

Have a look.

If you really wanted to do it, you'd level Punt Road oval and build it in that corner of the park.

Or Gosch's Paddock (which would be an enormous shame, great park area).

Or where Collingwood's training ground is.

No matter how sold you might be on this idea, there's absolutely zero reason to build it where Eddie says and cause all those changes to have to be made to the trains / Hisense. It's only going to increase the cost by about five times, making a very unlikely project completely impossible.

PXC2dy5t.png
To get perspective, 30k rectangular aami stadium would fit inside any 60k oval stadium

For mine, only a 25k max stadium would fit anywhere in the precinct

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie needs to stop having ideas. This is terrible. It's hard enough getting in & out of there when there's big bash & tennis on at the same time. Now they want to put a stadium in the middle of the tennis?

Sure Etihad's not the greatest stadium in the world, but it's one of the better ones in Australia.

And the grass grows how?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back