Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft 5 players this draft and 2 in the rookie draft (including the upgrade of McKernan)

See you later

Fletcher, Gwilt, Chapman, Winderlich, Pears, Obrian and Steinberg.

Did I do my math right?

Draft 5 players this draft and 2 in the rookie draft (including the upgrade of McKernan)

See you later

Fletcher, Gwilt, Chapman, Winderlich, Pears, Obrian and Steinberg.

Did I do my math right?
Would rather keep Gwilt. Plus there's the whole Carlisle speculation. Finally, it's O'Brien

I'm using Dodoro as my reference point for all of this.

In that interview he gave from Perth he referred to a team that the club thought would be able to do damage in 2017 (my wording not his).

If you look at that window that is life after Fletcher, Chapman, Winderlich and, based on his contract and form, likely to be life after Cooney. It's essentially 1 draft of players away (excluding the 2017 first year players).

It says that they think we basically already have the players on our list (we are not going to be planning around hypothetical free agency and trade acquisitions).

The point is, play the next generation (I hate reference to 'kids' because to me it is about bottoming out and giving games away regardless of form) to get the best idea of where the holes on the list going forward actually are. We are in the dark about this until the likes of Dalgleish, Kav, J. Merrett, Browne, Fantasia, Edwards, Langford and Laverde get their half a season. There is no point going into the trade/draft period with all of these unknown quantities on the list and it could result in us investing in areas that are already covered.

Plug the holes in ruck and defence with free agency and trade options and hit the draft to address the weaknesses that are still present in November 2015.

Everything else seems premature and trading a quality player out for value only is just taking one step back to go one step forward.
Using this as a template, our "core" for 2017 based on age and best 22 status right now would be:

Baguley, Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Heppell, Melksham, Myers, Gleeson, Daniher, Z Merrett, Zaharakis, Carlisle (pending), Colyer, Howlett.

Now, arguably you can cross Melksham, Carlisle and Howlett off that list for various reasons (quality/wanting trade). If we do that, we set up with a core (in line up) of:

FB: Baguley - Hooker - ???
HB: ??? - Hurley - Hibberd
MF: Gleeson - Heppell - Z Merrett
HF: Zaharakis - ??? - Colyer
FF: ??? - Daniher - ???
OB: ??? - Myers - ???
IC: ??? - ??? - ??? - ???

Now there are obviously veterans in Goddard, Watson and Stanton who can slot in three of the spots listed, let's say FP, rover and HBF respectively, we set up like this:

HB: Stanton - Hurley - Hibberd
FF: ??? - Daniher - Goddard
OB: ??? - Myers - Watson

What's missing is a CHF, 3rd tall defender, a ruck combination and rotating midfielders. McKernan shows some promise as the second ruck, so we slot him in at FP. I have high hopes for Kav, Jackson Merrett, Fantasia and Laverde for those bench spots. So, last but not least, the template of what I have so far in 2017:

FF: McKernan - Daniher - Goddard
IC: Kavanagh - J Merrett - Fantasia - Laverde

Using this as a template, our "core" for 2017 based on age and best 22 status right now would be:

Baguley, Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Heppell, Melksham, Myers, Gleeson, Daniher, Z Merrett, Zaharakis, Carlisle (pending), Colyer, Howlett.

Now, arguably you can cross Melksham, Carlisle and Howlett off that list for various reasons (quality/wanting trade). If we do that, we set up with a core (in line up) of:

HB: ??? - Hurley - Hibberd
FF: ??? - Daniher - ???
OB: ??? - Myers - ???

Now there are obviously veterans in Goddard, Watson and Stanton who can slot in three of the spots listed, let's say FP, rover and HBF respectively, we set up like this:

FF: ??? - Daniher - Goddard

What's missing is a CHF, 3rd tall defender, a ruck combination and rotating midfielders. McKernan shows some promise as the second ruck, so we slot him in at FP. I have high hopes for Kav, Jackson Merrett, Fantasia and Laverde for those bench spots. So, last but not least, the template of what I have so far in 2017:

FF: McKernan - Daniher - Goddard
IC: Kavanagh - J Merrett - Fantasia - Laverde
I'd rather have Langford playing than Goddard in 2017

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id like to know why we have Gwilt and also kept Pears and Steinberg, who were clearly have zero intention of playing.

Agreed. Too many list cloggers.

To above a post above, I'd like to have langford and laverde playing every match next year. Langford ideal replacement for chappy, and I think Laverde will be turned into a midfielder one day.

Trading Hooker is one of the last things we should consider doing.

Boy I am glad some of the people posting on this forum are not involved in drafting at Essendon for 2015. Some terrible names mentioned as possible recruits. Would not improve our list at ALL.

Agree there are some list 'cloggers', and I am sure this will be dealt with at the end of the year and there will be retirements. As set-out by a previous poster, we have a the core of a very good side still.

I can't believe how many people give Adrian D a hard tme. He has had to go to the draft with his hands tied and in a postion no other club or list manager has been in ever before. We have had some much improved success on the recruting front: Heppell, Hurley, Hooker, Goddard, Merret., Colyer, Joey, Langford, Laverde....

The only position Goddard will play in 2017 for us should be as a halfback flank with an emphasis on taking all the kick ins.

Playing him forward has continued to not work.

We need to see what Gleeson can do as a genuine midfielder in this back half, starting as a wingman.

Im unsure how well Stanton/Watson will be going in 2017. Dont think Stanton will be around in our best side. Think Watson needs to find a role as a forward.

So to summarise: we at least need to find 1 good ruckman, a KPD and a CHF.
Thats also not taking into account Carlisle. He covers one of those and if traded we probably are in a position to replace one of those spots.

If we lose him id like us to get Henderson. Draft a mature type in M.Brown as a 3rd defender or find a Stratton type.

Still think without Watson, Goddard, Stanton in that midfield in 2017 we will need to find a few midfielders. Lets hope Gleeson develops as one, We find a gem with our first pick this year and they start having a real impact late 2017, Laverde/Langford have stints in the midfield and in Laverdes case he becomes a mid.

Anyone remember Sam Shaw? Victorian boy, had a great year or two early as a 3rd defender been cruelled by injury, this year having a really solid season for the adelaide Sanfl side.

Would get him for peanuts would be another nice option is well aged at 23/24 aswell. 193cm. One to look at.

If I was to trade any best 22 backman it would be Hibberd. One sided and has been corralled on too many occasions this year, I see him back in the seconds before the end of next year. He has some value, probably a second rounder, would take it as it won't hurt the side much.

Wow - You'd be trading out 50% of the competition - That's right 50% of players can't use their opposite foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back