Recruiting EFC Trade/Draft Talk II with F/A rules in OP - Billings for a fourth rounder the latest rumour

What do we do with the #1 pick?

• Use it

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • Trade it for multiple top 10 picks

Votes: 65 42.2%
  • Trade it for players

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade it for players and first round picks

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Ultimately, I'm absolutely delighted with the way both the trading and drafting periods have gone for our club. We brought in Parish and Francis which has been wonderful, addressed our speed issues in the second round with Redman and Morgan, added much needed KPP depth with the inclusions of Brown and Hartley, and Eades is that livewire small forward that has the capability of pushing up the field.

We land Leuenberger, a fantastic ruckman on minimal coin that's going to come in and immediately be our number one ruck. It also frees us McKernan and Bellchambers (when they're selected) to spend more time forward. Nyuon as that long-term project ruckman is a great addition also. We got Craig Bird, a premiership player who adds experience and hardness to the midfield rotation. Tippa adds some flair and dash off the rookie list, and Wallis showed glimpses in the TAC from all reports so it'll be intriguing to see what he could develop into.

Not only that, but we offloaded a complete idiot with serious off-field issues (Carlisle), an infuriatingly inconsistent Melksham, and we never have to see Steinberg in the senior squad ever again. Happy days. Great last month or two.

I think Carlton reached for KPPs and McKay and Curnow will turn out to be Chris groom and Judd Lalich like and amount to nothing. Weitering will be a solid defender but not a match winner. North also reached for the other McKay who is even worse than his brother - a Henneman for mine. Far happier picking some better mids and utilities whilst taking some proven state league KPP talent previously exposed to afl.
No Curnow has the potential to be jack darling quite easily.mckay has some Kurt Tippett traits but will need time. Should be at least Ben brown.

I want Kerbatieh too, though hopefully we develop at least one decent small forward out of McKenna, Eades and Edwards.
Kerbatiehs effort at draft camp in 3km and beep embarrassing.
Hurt him fatally.
Needs to work hard rather than rely on natural gifts.
Galucci a good example.

I'm very excited by the inclusion of Nyuon. It will be a real journey for him and us as supporters. If you're going to have a developing ruck you might as well have an athletic freak who can out jump the best tap ruckmen in the game. If he can't get many more stats than NicNat, at least develop his centre square presence because clearances from restarts are critical these days. And I like the Sudanese connection too. Let's really tap into that part of the community and be pace-setters in inclusiveness of a marginalised people.
Dare I say it, Essendon have the most multicultural supporter base out of any team due to the work of Kevin Sheedy. Daw and now Gach were both Essendon supporters. Not sure if Bachar Houli was as well. I guess some people from marginalised communities can relate to aboriginal players and with Essendon known as the "aboriginal club" in the past, this has attracted many fans throughout the 90s/00s.

I do a lot of community work and come across this very often. Even Gach was sold after seeing Lovett jump up to take a mark. The Sudanese kids will definitely aspire to be like him. It's strange how teams like Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong and even Collingwood aren't very proactive about community work, compared to Essendon, Bulldogs, North Melbourne and recently Richmond. Collingwood will always attract fans due to their size, but the others haven't done much to engage the smaller communities.

I'm actually really happy with our whole draft and trade period from a list balance point of view. There is practically no list needs that we didn't address in some fashion. Of course now we have to hope that the players we drafted will develop well and become good players but at least I'm confident that we brought all the right elements together to give us the best chance possible.

This draft/trade period is going to go down as the one that defines our list in 5 years time just because of how many selections we have taken and how high some of them were. We simply aren't going to have that much currency in terms of draft picks on a regular basis. Going forward we probably still need to continue to grab a young KP or two (at least one KPF) and keep drafting midfielders in future drafts but the needs aren't overwhelmingly immediate.

In terms of the individual picks I think it will be our second rounders that determine just how good this draft was for us. Parish/Francis are pretty low risk and should at least become good players (hopefully much more than that) but Morgan and Redman will be the guys that determine if this draft was a rousing success or not and bring desperately needed pace. We pretty much know what we will get from Brown/Hartley and at worst they will be good depth players. If we get some success from Yestin and the rookies we will have done well. Leuenberger will be pretty important for us and Bird should be more than handy.

Dare I say it, Essendon have the most multicultural supporter base out of any team due to the work of Kevin Sheedy. Daw and now Gach were both Essendon supporters. Not sure if Bachar Houli was as well. I guess some people from marginalised communities can relate to aboriginal players and with Essendon known as the "aboriginal club" in the past, this has attracted many fans throughout the 90s/00s.

I do a lot of community work and come across this very often. Even Gach was sold after seeing Lovett jump up to take a mark. The Sudanese kids will definitely aspire to be like him. It's strange how teams like Carlton, Melbourne, Geelong and even Collingwood aren't very proactive about community work, compared to Essendon, Bulldogs, North Melbourne and recently Richmond. Collingwood will always attract fans due to their size, but the others haven't done much to engage the smaller communities.

I can confirm Bachar Houli was a big bombers fan as a kid - I went to uni with his cousin (who was a big Carlton fan so there was a fair amount of sledging going on)

Is it too early to talk about next years targets? Wouldn't mind a bit of Dion Prestia momentum for Christmas!

These were some of the good performing bottom age players at the carnival.

Peter Ladhams - KF/R

Jordan Galluci - pacy fp/hff

Jacob Allison - huge kick, pacy tall mid (academy player though)

Sam Petrevski-Seton - mid/flanker, good skills, quick/evasive. A bit like Harley Bennel. Probably no.1 pick at this stage.

Jy Simpkin - mid/flanker

Ben Ainsworth - FP goalsneak

Hey guys, massive favour to ask. My dad is a huge bombers fan (does not pay attention to anything going on in the off-season though) and I wanted to fill him in on our draft movements. Would there be anyone that would be willing to put together like an overview of our draft? Like which pick we took which player with. What position they play. And a little bit of info about them? It would be very much appreciated! If not I completely understand! Cheers guys

These were some of the good performing bottom age players at the carnival.

Peter Ladhams - KF/R

Jordan Galluci - pacy fp/hff

Jacob Allison - huge kick, pacy tall mid (academy player though)

Sam Petrevski-Seton - mid/flanker, good skills, quick/evasive. A bit like Harley Bennel. Probably no.1 pick at this stage.

Jy Simpkin - mid/flanker

Ben Ainsworth - FP goalsneak
I like Ladhams. A lot. For a beanpole, he has a lot of strength and uses body on body contact nicely. Kinda like Joey x Hogan. Jogan?
Ainsworth may slip. Forward pockets rarely go high in the draft unless their last name is Rioli. He could be one to do a trade to get an early 2nd or late 1st for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, massive favour to ask. My dad is a huge bombers fan (does not pay attention to anything going on in the off-season though) and I wanted to fill him in on our draft movements. Would there be anyone that would be willing to put together like an overview of our draft? Like which pick we took which player with. What position they play. And a little bit of info about them? It would be very much appreciated! If not I completely understand! Cheers guys

That would be a fairly straightforward project to do yourself DHRD as each new draftee has his own thread eg http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/pick-5-darcy-parish-welcome-to-essendon.1118048/ & the first post in that thread has a summary of the players attributes etc which you could copy.

That would be a fairly straightforward project to do yourself DHRD as each new draftee has his own thread eg http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/pick-5-darcy-parish-welcome-to-essendon.1118048/ & the first post in that thread has a summary of the players attributes etc which you could copy.
Cheers mate. Yup I'll happily do that when i have access to my computer. Unfortunately that won't be for a few days. Was hoping someone would be bored on a Saturday haha! All good though completely get that it's a bit of work.

Trade - Luenberger no.1 ruck who steps in straight away.
Trade - Bird tough midfielder who can play forward - probably only a fringe selection player though.
Pick 5 - Darcy Parish, genuine rover from country Victoria who reads play very well, makes good decisions and has good skills.
Pick 6 - Aaron Francis - genuine swingman as a 3rd tall who can also play midfield. From country SA - hard at it, no nonsense approach, good contested mark, great kick, looks afl ready.
Pick 29 - Alex Morgan. A very quick, well built half back flanker with good skills who makes good decisions. Looks closer to afl than most realise.
Pick 30 - Mason Redman. A quick 3rd forward type who is handy around goals. A bit skinny so will take a year or two to be afl ready.
Pick 54 - Mitch Brown - ex cat who has shone at VFL level and also in preseason at EFC during nab challenge. Now that he is over his shoulder issues that plagued him at Geelong he's a very capable and strong KF/KD who is ready to play immediately.
Pick 64 - Yestin Eades - extremely quick winger or half forward. Indigenous boy who has lots of x-factor about him. Will take some time to develop.
Pick 68 - Michael Hartley - ex magpie who was plagued by shoulder injuries. Went to the VFL and injury free has been dominant for coburg as a a KD. Capable up forward but more suited to defence. Ready to go.
Rookie pick 4 - Gach Nyuon. Tall Sudanese ruckman with massive leap and pretty quick for his size. Similar to Majak Daw but is a better ruckman than Daw. Will take some time to develop.
Rookie pick 22 - Anthony Tippungwuti. Very quick and skilful back pocket who has spent the last few seasons being developed in Essendon VFL.
Rookie pick 39 - Will Hams. Mediocre midfielder who has been given another chance as rookie.
Rookie pick 54 - Tom Wallis (son of Dean). Tough half back flanker or winger type who did ok at Calder Cannons but wasn't deemed good enough to represent vic metro. Played some games in our VFL side and did ok without being brilliant.

Trade - Luenberger no.1 ruck who steps in straight away.
Trade - Bird tough midfielder who can play forward - probably only a fringe selection player though.
Pick 5 - Darcy Parish, genuine rover from country Victoria who reads play very well, makes good decisions and has good skills.
Pick 6 - Aaron Francis - genuine swingman as a 3rd tall who can also play midfield. From country SA - hard at it, no nonsense approach, good contested mark, great kick, looks afl ready.
Pick 29 - Alex Morgan. A very quick, well built half back flanker with good skills who makes good decisions. Looks closer to afl than most realise.
Pick 30 - Mason Redman. A quick 3rd forward type who is handy around goals. A bit skinny so will take a year or two to be afl ready.
Pick 54 - Mitch Brown - ex cat who has shone at VFL level and also in preseason at EFC during nab challenge. Now that he is over his shoulder issues that plagued him at Geelong he's a very capable and strong KF/KD who is ready to play immediately.
Pick 64 - Yestin Eades - extremely quick winger or half forward. Indigenous boy who has lots of x-factor about him. Will take some time to develop.
Pick 68 - Michael Hartley - ex magpie who was plagued by shoulder injuries. Went to the VFL and injury free has been dominant for coburg as a a KD. Capable up forward but more suited to defence. Ready to go.
Rookie pick 4 - Gach Nyuon. Tall Sudanese ruckman with massive leap and pretty quick for his size. Similar to Majak Daw but is a better ruckman than Daw. Will take some time to develop.
Rookie pick 22 - Anthony Tippungwuti. Very quick and skilful back pocket who has spent the last few seasons being developed in Essendon VFL.
Rookie pick 39 - Will Hams. Mediocre midfielder who has been given another chance as rookie.
Rookie pick 54 - Tom Wallis (son of Dean). Tough half back flanker or winger type who did ok at Calder Cannons but wasn't deemed good enough to represent vic metro. Played some games in our VFL side and did ok without being brilliant.
You're amazing! Thanks so much for that. Really really appreciate it!

This is pretty basic but here's what I can do:

Pick 5: Darcy Parish, 181 cm/73 kg balanced midfielder. Darcy is a good player with very neat kicking skills on either side and good pace, should end up as an inside midfielder who can hurt the opposition.

Pick 6: Aaron Francis, 191/86 utility. Francis is probably going to start his career off as a HB and then transition into the midfield. Has elite reading of the play, kicking skills, and reminds me a lot of Brendan Goddard.

Pick 29: Alex Morgan, 181/79 half back. Morgan's key attributes are his pace and kicking skills, he rarely misses a target by foot. 19 year old who played TAC Cup this year.

Pick 30: Mason Redman, 187/76 half forward. Redman is seriously quick and has excellent skills, will probably transition into becoming a Monfries type of player IMO.

Pick 54: Mitchell Brown, 196/93 key swingman. One of the best KPP's in the VFL this season and will probably play as a key forward for us, but could easily go into defence if necessary.

Pick 64: Yestin Eades, 184/82 small forward. Quick, good skilled and knows how to find the goal. Aboriginal, I think he'll transition into being what Alwyn Davey would have been if we had a good key forward.

Pick 68: Michael Hartley, 200/102 key defender. The dominant key defender for the better part of two years in the VFL, can play on any type of key forward and has fantastic kicking skills.

Rookie Draft:

Pick 4: Gach Nyuon, 200/88 ruckman. Best ruck in this draft year, has raw talent and his hitout work is pretty good for an 18-year-old. Needs to put muscle on however.

Pick 22: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, 171/76 half back. Tippa is a small defender from the VFL with good pace, agility and sublime kicking skills, although he still needs to work on his tank.

Pick 40: Will Hams, 180/71 inside midfielder. Inside mid with great desperation and attack on the ball. Injuries have unsettled him.

Pick 54: Tom Wallis, 182/75 outside midfielder. Outside mid that has very good pace and kicking skills, can play off half back or half forward as well if necessary. Son of Dean Wallis.

5 - Darcy Parish: Darcy is a balanced midfielder from Geelong Falcons who can also also play off a back flank. He's very tenacious in his efforts to win the ball and distributes it excellently of both feet within 40m. It's unlikely that he becomes a star due to his size and lack of physical attributes, however on the flip side it's also highly unlikely that he'll bust. I see him becoming a solid B/+, someone who adds so me thing to the team each week and contributes in wins, but doesn't win games off his own boot.

6 - Aaron Francis: Francis is the most versatile and damaging player in the draft. Such is his versatility, he can play anywhere and have an impact on the game. Francis' mark and his disposal are his two biggest assets. At 192cm he's at the shorter spectrum of KPP height, however his leap is fantastic and he reads the play superbly which results in him being the best intercept mark in his draft class. Francis' kicking exploits are well known (can launch it up to 60m), however his creative handballs under pressure are really underrated for mine. The knock is his endurance and whether he can move into the midfield.

29 - Alex Morgan: Morgs is my favourite draftee as he gives us something we desperately need, a dynamic back flank. The position suits him perfectly. He is able the read the play, intercept it then take off (fastest in his draft class and one of the most agile) and deliver it lace out to his teammate (can kick off both feet for up to 55m). Morgs has also played as a burst midifelder and a small forward so the versatility is there too. The knocks on him are that he needs to get more involved in the game and increase his tank.

30 - Mason Redman: Mason is a tall forward flank who can go into the midfield. The attribute that really stands out from him to me is his footy smarts. When leading in the forward line, he's always moving and leads to dangerous places with space. When in the midfield, he has a physical presence and reads the tap quite well. His kicking, overhead marking and run and carry are also very good for his game style. Mason is also very raw, so there is significant upside to him. The downsides are that he's more of a HFF than a midfielder, which is where I'm guessing we want him to end up (midfielder who spends chunks of his time in the forward line). When playing further up the field, he needs to work on getting more of the footy.

54 - Mitch Brown: Mitch is a mature age swingman plucked from the VFL. He gives us some much needed KPP relief. His strengths are his contested marking, versatility and ability to impact a game. If he can stay injury free he should be a solid pickup.

64 - Yestin Eades: Eades is a dynamic utility who is best suited to a flank. His main attribute is his athleticism, he's very quick and runs hard all day. He has a lot of X factor about him, with the ability to kick goals when in attack and provide excellent rebound when playing in defence. The knocks on him are that he needs the find more of the ball and become more consistent. I think a few clubs where driven away by his ball drop. He almost throws it onto his boot, rather than dropping it. This results in quite a few 'interesting' kicks.

68 - Michael Hartley: The regular VFL watchers (eth-dog ?) would have seen more of him than me. In essence he's a KPD who shuts down an opponent whilst also being able to intercept mark. He's also a very good kick for his size.

Rookie draft:

4 - Gach Nyuon: Gach is a Sudanese ruckman with a terrific leap. His tapwork is so good that I would be surprised to see him end up as one of the better rucks of the competition. He's also very quick and has excellent skills for his size. However,there are quite a few hurdles he needs to overcome before he's AFL ready. He likes to jump over opponents, which won't work at AFL level all the time. He really needs to put on some muscle so that he can hold his own in ruck/marking contests. He also needs to develop his game when the ball hits the deck as he's often a liability there.

22 - Anthony Tipungwuti: Dynamic back flanker/small forward who has worked really hard over the past couple of years. Tippa is really quick, has good skills and very good attack on the footy. The knocks are his endurance and height. Another one regular VFL watchers can tell you about more.

40 - Will Hams (delisted and rookied).

58 - Tom Wallis (F/S): Tom is the son of Dean Wallis. Tom started the season slowly but ended it well enough. He struggles a bit as an outside midfielder, however when moved inside he uses his ability to read the tap to win the ball (although Kovacevic pretty much puts it down his throat). He wins a lot of the footy and has a reasonable disposal, he just lacks a POD and doesn't really impact games.

You've got Hartley's summary pretty accurate, only thing I'd add is that he and David Mirra (Box Hill) were the two best intercept players in the VFL for the last 2 years.

I'm actually really happy with our whole draft and trade period from a list balance point of view. There is practically no list needs that we didn't address in some fashion. Of course now we have to hope that the players we drafted will develop well and become good players but at least I'm confident that we brought all the right elements together to give us the best chance possible.

This draft/trade period is going to go down as the one that defines our list in 5 years time just because of how many selections we have taken and how high some of them were. We simply aren't going to have that much currency in terms of draft picks on a regular basis. Going forward we probably still need to continue to grab a young KP or two (at least one KPF) and keep drafting midfielders in future drafts but the needs aren't overwhelmingly immediate.

In terms of the individual picks I think it will be our second rounders that determine just how good this draft was for us. Parish/Francis are pretty low risk and should at least become good players (hopefully much more than that) but Morgan and Redman will be the guys that determine if this draft was a rousing success or not and bring desperately needed pace. We pretty much know what we will get from Brown/Hartley and at worst they will be good depth players. If we get some success from Yestin and the rookies we will have done well. Leuenberger will be pretty important for us and Bird should be more than handy.

Our midfield brigade when the likes of Jobe, BJ, Stanton and Hocking retire is pretty good
ZMerrett (new Jobe), Francis (new BJ), Laverde (beast), Langford (Pendlebury type), JMerrett (new stanton), Parish (pace/smarts), Heppell & Myers as the seniors, Gleeson, and maybe one day Zaka will string another season together.
of those, JMerrett would be the only one i would actively seek an upgrade on.
Given another strong draft position, i wouldn't be too bothered doing what carlton did this and build spine strength. (KPF and a couple of KPD's)
While we have them in Belly/Mckernan (KPF) and Brown/Hartley/Pears (KPD), I'm wary these guys aren't new in the system and still have ? over them.

You guys are incredible! Thank you so much. Really looks like we've down well with this draft when it's all laid out like that.

Emphasis on speed with this years draft is great and what we have lacked for sometime.

Parish, Francis, Morgan, Redman to a degree, Yeades, Nuyon, Tippa all excellent speed/agility types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back