English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunderland has a break this weekend courtesy of a fixture change.

It's probably a good time because the s**t has hit the fan after Adam Johnson was found guilty of having sex with a 14 year old girl. It looks bad for the club and the CEO has resigned in the aftermath. The CEOs resignation is a PR solution to a terrible circumstance. Johnson's QC decided to deflect blame by stating that Sunderland, via its CEO, knew the details of the matter but this has been strongly denied by the club. I think the club looked at the circumstance from the wrong angle. It's focus should have always been on girl, a Sunderland supporter who hero worshipped Johnson. Once he was charged he should have been sacked. The perception that this would have hung Johnson out to dry before the trial should not have mattered. There are just some matters where 'innocent until proven guilty' just doesn't cut it.

They have the occasional one. It just doesn't really work over there. With the number of police required, the public transport that doesn't run that late etc etc. Just isn't particularly viable.
Ok thanks. They just appear to play almost every other day except for Friday.

Ok thanks. They just appear to play almost every other day except for Friday.
The other thing is they don't play nights on Saturday/Sunday's. The reason being, supporters head to the pubs early in the day and get absolutely plastered if the game is on too late. Monday nights occasionally get a run because people are less likely to get blind when they have work the next day haha.

I doubt it'll ever become a permanent fixture.

Has the PL ever looked at having Friday night games like we do here?
The championsip and sometimes league 1 usually have a friday night game which is good as it gives more TV exposure to some lesser clubs.

Plus the top 6 or 7 PL clubs would be playing mid week european games and then you add in FA Cup, League cup games plus international weeks. It doesn't give a lot of time for rest if clubs are playing midweek then on friday nights.

As an Arsenal supporter I have to question the quality of the medical team.

I can't think of any other team/sport where there have been as many setbacks to injured players as there seems to be for Arsenal players.
Specifically, I'm thinking of Jack Wilshere. His initial diagnosis was he would be back by about November/December. But he had several 'setbacks' in that time, which has pushed his return date to "3-4 weeks" from now. Which it has been for about 3-4 weeks. Santi Cazorla has also has also had supposed setbacks. I seem to remember last season Wilshere having setbacks several times.

Has anyone else noticed this in any teams/sports they follow? I haven't ever heard of injured players having so many setbacks, and ones that set the recovery dates back by months, not days/weeks. Surely this points to a very poor medical team. Is it not there responsibility to ensure that players are not pushed to far in there recovery from injury? How is it that one team can have so many injury recovery setbacks, time after time after time?

I understand setbacks do happen, however surely not THIS frequently, and a setback that sets them back upwards of 3 months? That's ludicrous.

Apparently we played like absolute s**t but all that matters is we got it done.

Managed to watch the second half before going to work and yes, you were poor.

Newcastle looked the more lively side and most likely to get the ball in the back of the net.

Irrelevant now, though - 3 points are 3 points and you are one game closer to doing the impossible.

Managed to watch the second half before going to work and yes, you were poor.

Newcastle looked the more lively side and most likely to get the ball in the back of the net.

Irrelevant now, though - 3 points are 3 points and you are one game closer to doing the impossible.
Yep, very true.

I'm not too worried, you'll always get a poor performance here and there in a 38 game season. I'd rather 3 points and win ugly than the play really well against WBA and only pick up 1 point.

Huge trouble ;)

Apparently we played like absolute s**t but all that matters is we got it done.

Not true.

You were ok. Newcastle were better than they have been. Leicester still had that energy about them...just one of those games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, very true.

I'm not too worried, you'll always get a poor performance here and there in a 38 game season. I'd rather 3 points and win ugly than the play really well against WBA and only pick up 1 point.

Next year when you are playing against the big boys in Europe (and possibly reigning champion), who is going to remember that you played poorly against Newcastle?

Other than Newcastle fans, of course....their claim to fame next season may be that they only lost to the reigning PL champs by one goal.

Newcastle lost.:thumbsu:

Sunderland travel to Newcastle this weekend. It's the 'classic winner takes all' fixture. No pressure AceAndy
Would be about time we beat Sunderland as i think we have lost the last 6 times.

If we cant get the three points it will be nearly certain it will be relegationsville:cry: Would think that would be a fair incentive to lift.

Unlucky this morning with a clear penalty not given :thumbsdown: Officials clearly interested in ensuring a Midlands minnow club wins the title.

Would be about time we beat Sunderland as i think we have lost the last 6 times.

If we cant get the three points it will be nearly certain it will be relegationsville:cry: Would think that would be a fair incentive to lift.

Unlucky this morning with a clear penalty not given :thumbsdown: Officials clearly interested in ensuring a Midlands minnow club wins the title.
Clear penalty?! :D He wasn't even facing the ball haha. About 2 in 10 of those would ever be given. It certainly wasn't 'clear' ;)

I think Newcastle will win 2-1 this week. I think Rafa will keep them up.

Clear penalty?! :D He wasn't even facing the ball haha. About 2 in 10 of those would ever be given. It certainly wasn't 'clear' ;)

I think Newcastle will win 2-1 this week. I think Rafa will keep them up.
Need to book in for that OPSM appointment Jatz :p

The 1-1 between Sunderland and Newcastle was a bad result for both teams. Newcastle is struggling and Sunderland can't play the full ninety. I think that's four score draws on the trot for Sunderland. Next fixture is WBA at home. I think Norwich and Newcastle lock horns in the next game. Newcastle and Sunderland have never been relegated in the same season. Who knows? History in the making?