English Premier League soccer ⚽

Remove this Banner Ad

Manuel Pellegrini is mounting an a strong case to be called the best manager in the world right now, got Citeh into the last 16 and top of the table in England despite a FFP Transfer embargo and a mounting injury toll that would have crippled any other title manager.

Also Citeh's squad is not worth as much as Chelsea or Man Utd's (on paper) and right now, the Blue Moon rising of Manchester is heads and shoulders above any title rival.

My goodness you're lucky HBF

One of the worst penalty decisions you'll ever see and we still come back from 2 goals down to get a point at Anfield.

The lads were absolutely phenomenal tonight.

Bring on Newcastle and then Villa!

Thought about you this morning when I was watching it Jatz
Not sure what the ref saw with that first penalty, but god it was atrocious.
Entertaining game - not sure we even deserved to come away with a point.

Schwartzer has signed on at Leicester for 18 months. Looks like Australia's best ever keeper will finish his pro career in the English championship (much as i like the Foxes, I just can't see those plucky lads staying up)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would've been when Jordans first title was, his last would have been late 90's.

Rose would've won you a couple of prestigious division titles a few years back too
Yeah it's closer to 20 years actually. Either way, I was about 6 or 7 at the time haha.

Poor Rose :( we'll win it this year though ;)

Fascinating change of culture and mindset of expectations at Manchester United, with LVG basically conceeding United can't win the title and the FA Cup (normally not that high a priority for Man U) is their only decent chance of silverwear this season.

No way in hell would Sir Alex have yielded defeat at this point of the season, and I honestly don't think Moyes was all that responsible for their decline (even as the dominant team in Manchester !)

The Glazers probably didn't give Fergie and then Moyes enough financial backing in the last 3 or 4 seasons to keep up with the likes of Chelsea and Citeh to regenerate an aging
Van Gaal certainly isn't coping the amount of abuse and scapegoat blaming Moyes got despite a number of dismal performances this season (the hammering by Milton Keynes in the league cup and that debacle at Leicester etc)

Unless they sign Gareth Bale (which is now looking exceedingly unlikely) Man U will continue to lag behind Man City and Chelsea, and possibly could end up in the same limbo Liverpool has been in since the late 80s.

Don't think we appreciate how good a manager SAF was, winning titles and silverware with some ordinary United squads.

Think the days of United's dominance in English Football are well and truly over..

Fascinating change of culture and mindset of expectations at Manchester United, with LVG basically conceeding United can't win the title and the FA Cup (normally not that high a priority for Man U) is their only decent chance of silverwear this season.

No way in hell would Sir Alex have yielded defeat at this point of the season, and I honestly don't think Moyes was all that responsible for their decline (even as the dominant team in Manchester !)

The Glazers probably didn't give Fergie and then Moyes enough financial backing in the last 3 or 4 seasons to keep up with the likes of Chelsea and Citeh to regenerate an aging
Van Gaal certainly isn't coping the amount of abuse and scapegoat blaming Moyes got despite a number of dismal performances this season (the hammering by Milton Keynes in the league cup and that debacle at Leicester etc)

Unless they sign Gareth Bale (which is now looking exceedingly unlikely) Man U will continue to lag behind Man City and Chelsea, and possibly could end up in the same limbo Liverpool has been in since the late 80s.

Don't think we appreciate how good a manager SAF was, winning titles and silverware with some ordinary United squads.

Think the days of United's dominance in English Football are well and truly over..
I think United's main aim for this season was to get back in to the top 4 and qualify for the champions league and they seem to be on track for that at this stage. Anything on top of that would have been seen as a bonus.

They haven't won anything in 25 years. Not much of a glory hunt haha.

Depends when you hopped on.

I wouldn't lump them in with Liverpool just yet. The Glazers will have to dig deeper however if they want to keep up with not only Chelsea and Citeh! They're competing with the likes of Real, Barca, Munich and PSG for their playing pool also.

LVG would have had one main aim for this season - to get us back into European competition.

Not mission accomplished just yet but it looks very likely to happen with a very strong chance of a top 3 finish.

As was to be expected things took a little while to get going under the new manager hence a few bumpy results along the way - the losses to Leicester and MK Dons in particular, as well as draws against Burnley and Sunderland - which will no doubt be looked back on as very disappointing and possibly costly results.

Let's also not underestimate the impact of injuries which have hit this squad hard. Just have not been able to field a settled lineup with key injuries seeming to hit each week which will disrupt any squad in any sport around the world, no matter the quality of personnel waiting in the wings.

Recently though things look to have improved dramatically with United now in an 11 match unbeaten run. As it stands we can't challenge Chelsea or Man City for the title but we can certainly top the chasing group particularly if things start to go our way on the injury front.

Once the team is back in European competition things can turn around very quickly particularly if you are willing to splash the cash around which we seem somewhat content to do. Man United will always be an attractive club to play for but the lure of European competition is strong for any player around the world and not being there does limit your potential impact in the transfer market.

SAF was an incredible manager but I said at the time any manager who replaces him is in for a real tough time as comparisons will always be made and things will fall apart. Moyes ultimately endured a terrible time at United but I think he's a much better manager than what he showed and he'll do well now at Real Sociedad. He was incredible for Everton over a long period of time and one bad year doesn't completely eradicate your quality as a manager.

Very similar thing happened to Essendon with Knights taking over from Sheedy.

Ferguson was obviously a brilliant manager but recently under both Ferguson and Moyes United were unwilling to splash the cash to compete with Chelsea or Man City. That changed with LVG coming on board as the Glazer's seem far more willing to get with the times and throw their money around but as I said above were somewhat limited by not having that lure of European football.

Things can change very quickly so I wouldn't be writing United off for a long time and I certainly wouldn't be drawn into making comparisons with Liverpool. There is no reason why United can't challenge for the Premier League title next year.