Roast Essendon vs StKilda Ticketing Farce

Remove this Banner Ad

Whose home game? I assume its Essendon. If so, it would be Essendon doing or the AFL. The saints would not be able to dictate the charges for an away match

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

hey while were on subject, does any of my yearly reserved seat money go to st kilda?
Yes. That is why the saints and for that matter all clubs try and sell and even upsell reserve seats as most if not all of that money goes to the saints.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Its a whole different ballgame when you've got a million supporters like the bigger clubs. I know a few yrs ago if you wanted to buy a Gen admis ticket for a bombers game there were only certain areas on level 3 you could sit, and also all of the first 3 rows of the top deck were unavailable as well because the Drug Cheats had them all as members seats. Such was the demand with their high membership sales. And its probably got worse now with the Bombers supporters all rallying in support for Junkie James and his peptide popping posse.
We fortunately ( or unfortunately depending on how you think) don't have a problem getting cheap tickets to our home games cos of our lack of members.
Ive also heard the only way an opposition supporter is guaranteed a ticket to a game in Tassie Vs the Hawks is to buy a Hawks 3 game membership:eek:
If that's true then that also sucks arse big time!!!

So ticketing price may be more to do with the fact that Essendon has a large membership, the stadium has limited seating and Ethihad wrings every cent out the stadium that it can?
It could just be a case of supply and demand, but I also wonder just how many Essendon supporters will even bother to turn up to this one.

It could just be a case of supply and demand, but I also wonder just how many Essendon supporters will even bother to turn up to this one.

They could have been hit by sanctions by then and be watching a seconds team play. It may be best to hold off on buying the ticket, as with Essendon having multiple players out, there may be no Bombers supporters at the ground. Wouldn't that be a game that those who won't go to an Essendon match, that you would attend?

All Essendon home games at Etihad are fully reserved ticket matches.

I went last night and there were Hawk fans cracking the shits at security because they thought their full membership would get them in, not realising that Essendon fans ******* infest that place and gobble up every single ticket.

When they pack it out its an awesome/scary atmosphere.

Essendon will be pumping up the prices for opposition fans this year in the hopes of turning us off getting tickets so that their fringe fans can scoop them up on the cheap.

How they scored such a sweet deal while we got bent over repeatedly I'll never know.

Guess Jeff was right about the AFL boys club...

Last edited:
I bought my 2 GA tickets the day they were available. Gave them to my lady friend, hoping she goes and takes me, I bought them for her. Hope Uni work doesn't get in the way.

Rohan Connelly (If i recall correctly) absolutley slammed the AFL over the ticket prices in The Age today

All Essendon home games at Etihad are fully reserved ticket matches.

I went last night and there were Hawk fans cracking the shits at security because they thought their full membership would get them in, not realising that Essendon fans ******* infest that place and gobble up every single ticket.

When they pack it out its an awesome/scary atmosphere.

Essendon will be pumping up the prices for opposition fans this year in the hopes of turning us off getting tickets so that their fringe fans can scoop them up on the cheap.

How they scored such a sweet deal while we got bent over repeatedly I'll never know.

Guess Jeff was right about the AFL boys club...
That's not all true. It's got nothing to do with Essendon wanting to charge a premium. It costs the same for me to upgrade my flexi membership at Etihad as it does for you, whereas I can scan in at the MCG. It's to do with the AFL's new price categories which scams supporters of clubs like Essendon, forcing fans to pay a higher premium.

That's not all true. It's got nothing to do with Essendon wanting to charge a premium. It costs the same for me to upgrade my flexi membership at Etihad as it does for you, whereas I can scan in at the MCG. It's to do with the AFL's new price categories which scams supporters of clubs like Essendon, forcing fans to pay a higher premium.

I don't think any of us on here having objection to the AFL gouging further money from Essendon. Our objection is when they do it to the Saints as well. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As mentioned, Connolly did write an article about low attendance recently and it was a pretty interesting read.

He talked a bit about how AFL fans are angry at the AFL mismanagement of the Essendon saga in particular, but also Adelaide/Tippett etc. but let's be honest, the underlying issue is clearly ticket prices and the cost of going to the footy for the casual fan.

From the article:
With the palpable anger still simmering away over the AFL’s handling of the Kurt Tippett salary-cap issue, the Melbourne tanking affair and the Essendon supplements scandal, not to mention departing chief executive Andrew Demetriou’s mega-bucks bonus, the league could not have picked a worse time to introduce perhaps its riskiest gambit yet,

The discontent about variable pricing, where fans without memberships will pay more to see bigger games, isn’t about to disappear any time soon, despite Demetriou’s insistence that the disappointing Melbourne crowds so far weren’t linked to it.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...cket-prices-20140330-zqopr.html#ixzz2xXu5th4o

Ticket prices are rising, plus the criminal prices to get a drink + chips from Etihad, it'd be difficult to manage if you were a student, on minimum wage or a family. How much does foxtel cost these days? It's a much cheaper option for the casual observer who's going to think twice about turning up. Given all the AFL have done to try grow the game across Australia, it doesn't make sense. It's obvious that the footy isn't about the fans anymore.

So if I understand this this correctly, its cheaper to simply buy reserved seats, then upgrade the membership to get a reserve seat for this match. :eek:

The members have shown by purchasing their memberships that they are willing to fork out cash to go to the game. But the cash has already been obtained. So every seat filled by a member who does not pay extra is a seat not drawing in extra cash. So charge the guys who have already paid more, and the freeloaders less, as they are unlikely to be willing to fork out as much.

Way to maximise the short term income from a game at the cost of utterly ruining the long term potential of the abused clubs. Which appears to be the sort of con artist method the AFL prefers. Rip em off now, and **** tomorrow, there are always other marks out there.

Last edited:
Lovely. It's bloody expensive to be an AFL supporter, even if you spend the better part of $300 on a membership. I was going to head to the game after watching Port play Werribee at home the same day but I guess I'll just go home and watch it on TV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back