Etihad Stadium Gone by 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Lord Mayor thinks that within the time frame that the AFL is set to take ownership of the Dome it will be gone as it cuts off access to the Docklands precinct
Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle predicts Etihad Stadium will be gone in 20 years.

Doyle said the stadium cuts off the Docklands precinct from the CBD and it would be better to build an AFL-sized venue at nearby Western Park.

The AFL is due to take over ownership of the stadium in 2025.

"In the time-frame you're talking, Etihad Stadium will disappear," Doyle told radio station 3AW.

"It's a great idea for another stadium close to the city, but I would have thought that's one of the things that cuts off Docklands from the city.

"I don't mind a stadium in the Docklands, it's just we can look down and see Western Park, it's down towards Bolte Bridge.

"There's room down there to put an AFL-sized ground and it doesn't block off the city from Docklands."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-lord-mayor-robert-doyle-20151112-gkx9uk.html
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the oval there before the Dockland's were developed?

The Lord Mayor is an idiot and failed state opposition leader

You know what really cuts off the Docklands precinct from the CBD, Spencer St Station and the associated rail lines.

But if anything needs to go it's the 2 new buildings they just put up that have destroyed any pre-match atmosphere that the docklands stadium possessed.

Melbourne Lord Mayor Robert Doyle predicts Etihad Stadium will be gone in 20 years.

Doyle said the stadium cuts off the Docklands precinct from the CBD and it would be better to build an AFL-sized venue at nearby Western Park.

The AFL is due to take over ownership of the stadium in 2025.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...bert-doyle-20151112-gkx9uk.html#ixzz3rFRF0gPs

A quick Google found this article and picture from 2013 about starting construction of Western Park. http://www.docklandsnews.com.au/editions/article/western-park-to-start-next-year_8924/

992929_10151711058987052_171549570_n.jpg

I haven't been down that end of Docklands for quite a while - is there anything there yet?

Sounds like a terrible idea. People somehow complain about getting to Etihad when it's got the biggest train station in Melbourne next door. Don't know how they'd cope with walking another 10mins through Docklands.

The Lord Mayor thinks that within the time frame that the AFL is set to take ownership of the Dome it will be gone as it cuts off access to the Docklands precinct

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-lord-mayor-robert-doyle-20151112-gkx9uk.html
Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the oval there before the Dockland's were developed?

Etihad at the beginning of it's construction was to be the central part of the Docklands precinct. Channel 7 would help fund the construction of it along with the new studios.

There are things that need to happen with Docklands I agree. Not sure tearing the ground down is one of those, however poorly it is laid out. Instead of that wavy looking roof at Southern Cross Station..why not a huge park over it?

Etihad at the beginning of it's construction was to be the central part of the Docklands precinct. Channel 7 would help fund the construction of it along with the new studios.

There are things that need to happen with Docklands I agree. Not sure tearing the ground down is one of those, however poorly it is laid out. Instead of that wavy looking roof at Southern Cross Station..why not a huge park over it?
Better a huge park over the rest of the rail tracks and over the road to Docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Better a huge park over the rest of the rail tracks and over the road to Docklands.

Yep no argument there. The one thing that Melbourne needs and Docklands is more parks and open space. This would encourage people to head to precinct more than they do now - having ridden on the tram into Harbour Town and back again it's pretty bloody lifeless and Harbour Town is basically a dead duck.

Would think building that NAB building so close to the stadium really restricted the flow
Made the flow better actually as there is a new footbrigde to gate 5 (should have always been there) but destroyed the atmosphere as it has completely covered up the stadium and made the place into the same much derided windswept concrete canyons as the rest of the docklands precinct.

The major issue with Docklands is the appalling town planning and forethought.

They've basically built a hub for adults with no children, with no facilities to accommodate or care for kids or entertain them. So, unsurprisingly - the entire place consists of singles, or couples without kids and it is deserted from 8am to 6 pm (as everyone's at work) - there are no retailers there (as there is no-one to sell anything to) and the entire place is a ghost-town.

If it hadn't simply consisted of high rise apartments, and had a mixed dwelling structure, accommodating for a range of family types, it would have been much more successful. But the almighty dollar and appeasing to construction firms was far more important at the time...

And this continues with nearly every single decision on town planning with a bulls roar of the CBD....

Made the flow better actually as there is a new footbrigde to gate 5 (should have always been there) but destroyed the atmosphere as it has completely covered up the stadium and made the place into the same much derided windswept concrete canyons as the rest of the docklands precinct.
Yeah the new footbridge helps but I hate that building. Walking through Yarra Park with the G growing bigger and bigger as you approach it is something special. You used to get a similar effect with Etihad. Now it's just office buildings and oh there's a football ground. I hate it.

Etihad sucks anyway, cold, sterile, no atmosphere... MCG 4 ever
That right there is your problem, no matter how good of a second stadium Etihad is (which is really good), in Melbourne is it will ALWAYS be second. It will always be compared to the G, lets face us when you have one of the worlds best stadiums everything else just looks second rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back