Euthanasia

Remove this Banner Ad

The discussion has extended beyond just euthanasia for those who are old and terminally ill, but to those who are young and suicidal, and what implications there are to having state sponsored assisted suicide for this population.

I'm not required to answer for the opinions of every other poster or entertain slippery slope arguments. I am talking about what the most likely policy solution would look like.

I'm quite skeptical how calm and controlled a situation like having Mum and Dad choosing to end their life, to end their relationship with their children can be. Simply having a counsellor on standby could never give too much comfort while a parent is assisted to suicide. It's certainly not like the kids will be fine just because they suicide in a less violent manner.

like life, death is not always perfect or comforting

the question is does someone have the right to terminate their own life; and
if they are going to do it anyway, should they be able to seek professional asistance

I can understand if you say no but at the same time, and very respectfully, who are we to say no?

Does anyone actually look at countries with euthanasia laws like Switzerland and the Netherlands and genuinely think "wow, that is backwards and barbaric"?

My overwhelming reaction is that they are incredibly brave, evolved and progressive, and not shying away from the real philosophical questions (no matter how uncomfortable) while casting aside antiquated theist conceptions of morality.

It's where we need to be heading. We have a lot of growing up to do on a philosophical and humanist level. Not pushing death and the dying aside because we are too scared to discuss our mortality.

We euthanase domesticated animals all the time. Pets like cats and dogs, working animals like horses.

We make decisions about the quality of life for the animal, and sadly we make decisions for commercial and practical reasons only.

Why don't we allow ourselves to make the same decisions about our own quality of life?

Kudos Andrew Denton.:thumbsu:

The inspiration was a positive story he read about the assisted death of a father in Amsterdam – one that followed the strict and formal guidelines developed in other parts of the world to provide people with an escape.

The man spent his final days with family and friends, listening to Mozart, reading an ancient Chinese text and gazing upon the moon before dying at an appointed time, with the assistance of a physician.

"That's civilised. That's humane,"
says Denton. "Nothing removes the sadness of death, but there are things it is within our power to avoid. And we are looking away from that possibility

http://bit.ly/1jYSW5k

Watched both of my parents died of cancer. Both had passive Euthanasia in the end. My mum would have taken up euthanasia if it was an option.

The problem with Euthanasia is that I don't trust humans to do the right thing all the time. Too many potential abuses.

Watched both of my parents died of cancer. Both had passive Euthanasia in the end. My mum would have taken up euthanasia if it was an option.

The problem with Euthanasia is that I don't trust humans to do the right thing all the time. Too many potential abuses.

Would it be reasonable to ban everything that has the potential for abuse and serious consequences?

the reality is euthanasia happens every day in our health care system today. Perhaps we should consider how to improve the process rather than pretend it doesn't happen?

Would it be reasonable to ban everything that has the potential for abuse and serious consequences?

the reality is euthanasia happens every day in our health care system today. Perhaps we should consider how to improve the process rather than pretend it doesn't happen?

Everything can have abuses but we are talking about life not Centrelink or medicare fraud.

Everything can have abuses but we are talking about life not Centrelink or medicare fraud.

but it already happens today, just quietly.

My mum asked in the end not to have anything done to treat her but to make her comfortable (which assisted her to have a more humane death).

My point is that Euthanasia at the early stages terminal illness can have dangers/Abuses.

I would hate to see people using Euthanasia in an abusive way.

Public support for euthanasia has been consistent for decades, but governments refuse to do their job and respect the will of their employers (us). As always, when we observe a situation like this, the key to understanding it is to follow the money.

Who is profiting from ensuring that voluntary euthanasia is unavailable? The medical profession, that's who. Doctors are very fond of prolonging the lives of the terminally ill with futile treatments because it is hugely profitable. If we had the right to check out in a dignified manner at a time of our choosing, then many of those futile treatments would be rightly overlooked.

The AMA wields great influence over government policy and their stance on euthanasia is all about the cash. This is the same organisation that condones not only bribes and gifts from pharmaceutical company to push their drugs onto customers, but also condones off-label prescribing. We don't need to scratch our heads wondering about what motivates an organisation like the AMA.

It is no coincidence that the church is so heavily invested in hospitals. They are in the same business as many doctors: selling lies to those who are terrified of death.

Public support for euthanasia has been consistent for decades, but governments refuse to do their job and respect the will of their employers (us). As always, when we observe a situation like this, the key to understanding it is to follow the money.

Who is profiting from ensuring that voluntary euthanasia is unavailable? The medical profession, that's who. Doctors are very fond of prolonging the lives of the terminally ill with futile treatments because it is hugely profitable. If we had the right to check out in a dignified manner at a time of our choosing, then many of those futile treatments would be rightly overlooked.

The AMA wields great influence over government policy and their stance on euthanasia is all about the cash. This is the same organisation that condones not only bribes and gifts from pharmaceutical company to push their drugs onto customers, but also condones off-label prescribing. We don't need to scratch our heads wondering about what motivates an organisation like the AMA.

It is no coincidence that the church is so heavily invested in hospitals. They are in the same business as many doctors: selling lies to those who are terrified of death.

Religion and its power factions in both sides of politics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Religion and its power factions in both sides of politics

I'm no defender of organised religion but, in fairness, it's not all faiths that live in the dark ages wanting to force their views upon us. The Uniting Church has a quite enlightened position on dying with dignity for example. It's the extreme right of the Roman Catholic church who are the ones who threaten politicians and are very well organised who are the problem. The same ones who stand outside termination clinics intimidating families at an already stressful time for them. The same ones who have the temerity to visit people they don't know while in hospital preaching their Bible bashing stuff as that excuse for a human being, Liberal MP Bernie Finn, did. What a creep! Had it been my family he would have been sucking his meals through a straw for weeks.

VE has been practiced compassionately in many countries for ages. Under all sorts of checks and balances. Which makes the slippery slope argument arrant nonsense. Even in two states of the USA, a country famous - or infamous - for their extremist religious polemicists.

How dare the religious right tell me how to end my days. How dare they! You choose your way. I'll choose mine. My life! My choice!

I have a lawyer mate who's the son of a senior surgeon, they both agree with VE, but one thinks the courts should decide, the other thinks the doctor should decide.
How about the person themselves? If it's legislated properly it should ultimately be the person themselves making the call at a time well before it becomes imminent.

Just as we all should make our intentions regarding donating organs clear to those near and dear as soon as we've thought the issue through.

I have a lawyer mate who's the son of a senior surgeon, they both agree with VE, but one thinks the courts should decide, the other thinks the doctor should decide.

have either thought the owner of the life, might have a view that carries more weight?

why do you need to convince a judge to end it? why should you have a health issue before you are eligible? people should be free to choose and that includes people with mental health issues. Freedom of choice should be respected!

I'd actually like to die, by jumping out of an airplane.

If on the way down I realise I'm not ready to die yet, deploy parachute.

Enjoyed your thoughts!:eek: Reminds me a bit of the apocryphal story of the person who jumped off the cliff to get the best view of the beauty of the way down.:)

On a more serious note, folk would not get past the checks and balances of the VE legislation anywhere in the world unless they were absolutely sure of their end of life decisions and had good reason to have arrived at them.

Last edited:
I'm no defender of organised religion but, in fairness, it's not all faiths that live in the dark ages wanting to force their views upon us. The Uniting Church has a quite enlightened position on dying with dignity for example. It's the extreme right of the Roman Catholic church who are the ones who threaten politicians and are very well organised who are the problem. The same ones who stand outside termination clinics intimidating families at an already stressful time for them. The same ones who have the temerity to visit people they don't know while in hospital preaching their Bible bashing stuff as that excuse for a human being, Liberal MP Bernie Finn, did. What a creep! Had it been my family he would have been sucking his meals through a straw for weeks.

VE has been practiced compassionately in many countries for ages. Under all sorts of checks and balances. Which makes the slippery slope argument arrant nonsense. Even in two states of the USA, a country famous - or infamous - for their extremist religious polemicists.

How dare the religious right tell me how to end my days. How dare they! You choose your way. I'll choose mine. My life! My choice!

I was trying not too finger point too directly but yes, you're right re the catholics.

In WA labor labor they represent an astonishing 30-35% vote. I trust this would be about on par with the rest of the nation and for the libs. Can anyone confirm?

I was trying not too finger point too directly but yes, you're right re the catholics.

In WA labor labor they represent an astonishing 30-35% vote. I trust this would be about on par with the rest of the nation and for the libs. Can anyone confirm?
Lefties are agnostics by nature so I think your figures are off there.;)

Merely looking at the representation in the H of R, I'd suggest the right of the religious side of things are very well represented in the Lib ranks. Can't readily think of many on the egalitarian side really. Think Santamaria took them all with him to the DLP which has more in common with the Libs than genuine Labor these days.

Merely looking at the representation in the H of R, I'd suggest the right of the religious side of things are very well represented in the Lib ranks. Can't readily think of many on the egalitarian side really. Think Santamaria took them all with him to the DLP which has more in common with the Libs than genuine Labor these days.

go back and read about the history of labor and the split between the communists and the catholics

three letters
S
D
A

Remove this Banner Ad

Back