Ex Giants player watch 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhys Palmer now been delisted by the Blues. I feel like a farmer ... we raise the cattle, then ship them off to be butchered at Carlton!
Great guy, on of my favourites at the member dos but unable to translate his junior talent to the big stage with required effect..

Did his contract expire this year?
No. Still had a sizeable one that we were kind enough to take off of your hands.
Apparently made a request for an early release to go back to WA after the realisation he
wasn't getting senior games. (there were some rumours of a bit of off field stuff, which I have
no idea if true). No idea what percentage he pocketed.
Made more sense to release him and keep a couple of boys fighting for their careers when we
have plenty of cap space.

No. Still had a sizeable one that we were kind enough to take off of your hands.
Apparently made a request for an early release to go back to WA after the realisation he
wasn't getting senior games. (there were some rumours of a bit of off field stuff, which I have
no idea if true). No idea what percentage he pocketed.
Made more sense to release him and keep a couple of boys fighting for their careers when we
have plenty of cap space.
I thought so. Decent if the club to pay him out and let him move on. Bit of a sad ending though.

One of the real early ones....

Early in 2011 a skinny young midfielder who could find the ball and use it pretty well gave young master his first autographed Giants footy. I liked him and I liked his play and was surprised he didn’t get picked up at the end of the year. Alex Carey.

Today he scored 12 runs for South Australia against NSW batting at 7. Given it was the third highest score in a dismal all out for 92 and he was protecting the tail by not taking singles early in the over, I thought he showed some pretty good composure.

We’ll see how he goes with his keeping over the next couple of days.

From a fox footy article with a quick bite from Tom Downie and good to hear some insight from him

One of the great feel-good stories is former Giants ruckman Tom Downie, who’s making a concerted effort to make a difference in his local community.

Ever since retiring midway through last season due to mental health issues, Downie has been working with troubled kids at his local Police-Citizens Youth Clubs. He’s also studying youth work and is the face of the Black Dog Institute’s “Exercise Your Mood” campaign.

“Nothing against footy, I thought it could financially set me up for the rest of my life, but it’s a very selfish lifestyle,” Downie said last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back