Fake news on Bigfooty?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Ok it was suggested by Gethelred that we can discuss this here.

Our esteemed leader Chief has suggested the below:

"If you are found to be consistently linking to fake news or false claims then you will be monitored more heavily."

I'm thinking that "fake news" or "false claims" will mean different things to different people, and there will be an issue of consistency between individual mods and individual boards.

Either way I'm thinking this policy will at least cause a lot more work for mods and also be used by mods to shut down a discussion they don't like.

This is not a suggestion or announcement, just feedback from a highly respected* (and still Main Board banned) poster.

*This may or may not be fake news

If you hated that old policy, you're gonna hate this rule that has been in place for ages:

The "we will monitor you if you post tons of fake news" rule on the SRP forum came about because users and mods are tired of chasing up outrageous claims by Gish Gallopers and spreaders of completely fake news.

Those people, when they post such a claim without attribution, are given (I think) 24 hours to post a source.

If they post a source that is verifiably wrong, they are asked not to keep doing that.

If they keep it up, they get removed.

This is not about people who post obviously contested claims, or make mistakes sometimes, or whatever.

It's about people who consistently post rubbish as fact, and waste everyone's time chasing up sources and facts.

I would also like to take this opportunity to bring to attention what seems to be a recent increase of posts that include name calling of other posters or baseless accusations of other posters which, correct me if I'm wrong, is also against the forum rules. This sort of activity is also being perpetrated by certain Moderators as well who should know better. Then you have certain posters continually contributing to a thread while adding absolutely nothing of value or substance to a debate etc. These posters seem to act almost with impunity and funnily enough, all happen to sit on the same side of the political divide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back