Father and son questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet in the entire history of both Freo and W.C there have only been 2 F/S selections based on that formula. Brett Peake and that Jacob??? Brennan for W.C

While teams like Carlton/Essendon/Collingwood have one almost every single year. OK granted they are the oldest teams but that should only make them have MORE games to qualify. No?.......'spirit of the game'

We get access to the sons of top players from 4 clubs, each Victorian side only gets access to sons of their own players, so it makes sense mathematically to set the bar higher for us. Otherwise we'd (theoretically) have four times as many eligible father-son candidates as Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood etc.

We get access to the sons of top players from 4 clubs, each Victorian side only gets access to sons of their own players, so it makes sense mathematically to set the bar higher for us. Otherwise we'd (theoretically) have four times as many eligible father-son candidates as Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood etc.

Well, in theory, communism should work......

Yet in the entire history of both Freo and W.C there have only been 2 F/S selections based on that formula. Brett Peake and that Jacob??? Brennan for W.C

While teams like Carlton/Essendon/Collingwood have one almost every single year. OK granted they are the oldest teams but that should only make them have MORE games to qualify. No?.......'spirit of the game'
Cousins was F/S for Eagles as well.

Jacob was picked as the son of a former 100+ games Eagles player.

It could be worse though, Adelaide hasn't picked up a single player as a father son pick

How about Clem Michael was he a F/S?

Excellent question and one I am still confused about.
We didn't take Clem as a F/S, we took him as a normal selection (pick 21) in 1997 draft.

Stephen played 243 for South.

Bryan Cousins over a similar period played about 238 games in two stints for Perth and 67 games for Geelong. Ben was eligble for either Geelong (criteria then was 50 games for F/S for VFL clubs) or WC.

So given that I have no real idea why Clem couldn't be taken as F/S by us but he wasn't - Unless there was some weird combination where you had to be >250 combined WAFL/VFL games for WA players in which case Clem just missed out. If so very stupid rule and probably why they changed it but not before we and Adelaide etc. missed out.

Brett Peake is still our only F/S.

Excellent question and one I am still confused about.
We didn't take Clem as a F/S, we took him as a normal selection (pick 21) in 1997 draft.

Stephen played 243 for South.

Bryan Cousins over a similar period played about 238 games in two stints for Perth and 67 games for Geelong. Ben was eligble for either Geelong (criteria then was 50 games for F/S for VFL clubs) or WC.

So given that I have no real idea why Clem couldn't be taken as F/S by us but he wasn't - Unless there was some weird combination where you had to be >250 combined WAFL/VFL games for WA players in which case Clem just missed out. If so very stupid rule and probably why they changed it but not before we and Adelaide etc. missed out.

Brett Peake is still our only F/S.

I can put the blame totally at the feet of the Sowfs officials, for Clem not being picked up as a father & son selection.

In the Sowfs records, there is no S Michael listed............................. there is a TI 243 games.

How do you expect some dill brain in AFL House to understand that Clem is the bubba of TI !!!!!!.

At the time the WAFL clubs weren't allocated to either West Coast or Freo, and so Cousins could have gone to either club, or Geelong.

There's a mention of it in his book, I forget his reason for choosing us over you. I don't think moving to Geelong was ever on the cards.

Can't help on Clem Michael, sorry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the time the WAFL clubs weren't allocated to either West Coast or Freo, and so Cousins could have gone to either club, or Geelong.

There's a mention of it in his book, I forget his reason for choosing us over you. I don't think moving to Geelong was ever on the cards.

Can't help on Clem Michael, sorry.

I don't think he could have come to us as F/S. He could have elected to go in the draft to us. That is my memory of it.

They tightened the rule for you guys after Mitch from memory.
Cale was definitely because the club had been in for 20 years, so they were no longer able to pick WAFL F/S.

As for Jarryd, not sure on why he wasn't picked up. May have been that they recalculated the fathers games, or WCE just didn't want him.

Cale was definitely because the club had been in for 20 years, so they were no longer able to pick WAFL F/S.

As for Jarryd, not sure on why he wasn't picked up. May have been that they recalculated the fathers games, or WCE just didn't want him.

I think it was similar to the Bryce Gibbs ruling - Noel had played 150 games for Claremont but not before 1987.

Ah, here we go:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/demons-land-morton-from-west/story-e6frf9mf-1111114956765

Eldest son Mitch had been drafted as a father-son pick last year when the AFL decided in April to tighten its criteria for those selections by discounting WAFL games played in 1987.

That meant Noel fell short of the 150 games necessary, so last year second son Jarryd was drafted to Hawthorn instead.

Last month Mitch was traded by the Eagles to Richmond, and yesterday youngest son Cale was taken by Melbourne with the fourth pick of the draft.

I can put the blame totally at the feet of the Sowfs officials, for Clem not being picked up as a father & son selection.

In the Sowfs records, there is no S Michael listed............................. there is a TI 243 games.

How do you expect some dill brain in AFL House to understand that Clem is the bubba of TI !!!!!!.

And to add to the hula baloo the TI name was mis quoted. It was put down that his first name was Ten, when in fact it should have been twelve.

The Original VFL Father-Son Rule:

New Permit Rule.—The League
has approved a recommendation
from their Permit Committee
which will now permit sons of
former League players to play
football with their fathers' old
clubs, even though they may
be
residentially bound to a different
club. BUT—the main proviso
stipulates that the father must
have played at least 50 games
with the club.

Football Record April 22 1950.

I posted this in another thread the other day. Straight from the AFL rules...
(Note: I've cut out all the stuff that isn't relevant to Fremantle)

4.2 Father/Son Rule

4.2.1 Players Eligible – All Clubs

Subject to Rule 4.2.4, a Club may include a person on its Primary List if the person’s father played 100 or more Senior Matches (being either Home and Away or Finals Series Matches) with the Club.

4.2.2 Western Australian and South Australian Based Clubs

In addition to the rights conveyed under Rule 4.2.1;

(b) The Fremantle Football Club may include a person on its
Primary List if that person’s father played 150 or more Senior
Matches (being either home and away or finals series matches)
at one of the following clubs prior to, but not including, 1995:

(i) South Fremantle Football Club;
(ii) East Fremantle Football Club;
(iii) Perth Football Club; or
(iv) Swan Districts Football Club.

Carlton have had 6 F/S in their drafting history,Michael james,chris mulcair,David walls,Jarrad waite,Luke blackwell and now Dylan buckley.
Waite is the only one that's had any success.
The F/S is very hit and miss.

So I see WCE have set up their own F/S academy as have Adelaide, Port and most Vic clubs.

Would we even have enough kids eligible to start up our own academy?

Wiz's kids, Clive's kids (in SA though)...

So I see WCE have set up their own F/S academy as have Adelaide, Port and most Vic clubs.

Would we even have enough kids eligible to start up our own academy?

Wiz's kids, Clive's kids (in SA though)...

Saw Shaunie Mac's kids at Yallingup beach a few weeks back. Still look a little small at this stage but must be tearing up Auskick;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back