Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm heading back to the US for most of the next 6 or 7 months shortly. You can expect updates from me featuring this sort of thing...
2y4ahyru.jpg

9yjyze8a.jpg

I look forward to making all of you exceptionally jealous :p

Those last few posts have made me thirsty! Going to have to stop at my local and see what they've brought in from Portland.
Catfish as a Vancouver resident I have a few questions for you if that's ok.

My brother in law lives in Vernon, BC and is getting married August 2015 somewhere close to Kelowna.

I will be traveling with my wife and two kids who will be 5 and half and 2 and a half by then. We were over there 2 years ago for 4 weeks and spent some time in Vancouver, Vernon, Banff and spent a few days down in Seattle which we loved.

We are going to be over there for a month and imagine we will spend a week to 10 days in Vernon.

Any recommendations on places to visit in BC for the rest of that time. Is it worth making our way down to Portland including dropping into seattle again?

Catfish as a Vancouver resident I have a few questions for you if that's ok.

My brother in law lives in Vernon, BC and is getting married August 2015 somewhere close to Kelowna.

I will be traveling with my wife and two kids who will be 5 and half and 2 and a half by then. We were over there 2 years ago for 4 weeks and spent some time in Vancouver, Vernon, Banff and spent a few days down in Seattle which we loved.

We are going to be over there for a month and imagine we will spend a week to 10 days in Vernon.

Any recommendations on places to visit in BC for the rest of that time. Is it worth making our way down to Portland including dropping into seattle again?

Hey blueboy! No problem. I really enjoy the beers from Portland but to be honest I haven't been down there yet. I know people that love it but it seems like it's popular for it's music and micro-brew scene. I'm not sure how much fun it would be with kids. It sounds like you'll have a lot of spare time though so could be worth checking out.

As for other recommendations, the southern Okanagan (Kelowna, Peachland, Summerland) is a great spot to have some fun on the lake and August would be the perfect time. I'd also recommend doing the Sea-to-Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. People think of it as a ski destinations but it's just as fun in summer. The drive is spectacular and you may even see some bears around the road. Maybe head over to Vancouver Island as well. The ferry through the gulf islands also has great views and around that time of year you may spot some killer whales. Tofino is a popular destination on the beach. Victoria is a really nice city too and you can even catch the ferry back over to Seattle if you wish.

Hey blueboy! No problem. I really enjoy the beers from Portland but to be honest I haven't been down there yet. I know people that love it but it seems like it's popular for it's music and micro-brew scene. I'm not sure how much fun it would be with kids. It sounds like you'll have a lot of spare time though so could be worth checking out.

As for other recommendations, the southern Okanagan (Kelowna, Peachland, Summerland) is a great spot to have some fun on the lake and August would be the perfect time. I'd also recommend doing the Sea-to-Sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler. People think of it as a ski destinations but it's just as fun in summer. The drive is spectacular and you may even see some bears around the road. Maybe head over to Vancouver Island as well. The ferry through the gulf islands also has great views and around that time of year you may spot some killer whales. Tofino is a popular destination on the beach. Victoria is a really nice city too and you can even catch the ferry back over to Seattle if you wish.
Thanks Catfish Alley that gives me plenty of ideas. I forgot to mention I spent a week on Vancouver island last time and loved it. I ahve always wanted to see whistler so will definitely add that to the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prickly Moses 2013 saison tonight. It's okay, but lacking that complexity that the best saisons have. Little bit watery as well.

Reasonable selection of beers on the weekend....

Endeavour 2012 Growers Ale (disappointing)
Stoke Bohemian Ale (very tasty)
Stoke KPA (likewise)
Inveralmond Lia Fail (solid)
Coopers 2012 Vintage Ale (best it's been in 6 or 7 years)
Sierra Nevada 2013 Bigfoot Barley Wine (a cracker)

Sorry if its been mentioned.. but since the colder weather is coming, nothing beats a nice dark ale on a cold winters afternoon... anyone got any recommendations?

I can't think of the name but when I worked in the UK there was beer (could of been from
Sambrook's brewery?) that was dark and malty.. delicious. Fair to say the wastage was a little higher on that beer than the others.

Edit: Think it was The Junction.

That's a big beer! You must have been running to the loo all night :p

It was warm here late last week and I was in the mood for white beer. Got a couple from two of my favorite local breweries. White Bark from Driftwood and Cloudburst Lemongrass White IPA from Howe Sound. Both very good. White Bark was your typical lighter style of white ale. The citrus mixed with high IBU of the Cloudburst was interesting but overpowered it and kind of just made it a flavorful IPA.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back