Food, Drink & Dining Out Favourite Beer II

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone tried the new Coles beer that is sold at liquorland?
The Pale Ale was decent.
Also, is it just me or is James Squires a little overrated? I feel as if they were one of the first craft beers on the market, but now have been overtaken by so many.

Not just you. Dressed up like a king but it's still a pauper.

Wouldn't touch anything James Squire any more.

I know that Coopers is a well known obvious drink. But their Dark Ale I'm really enjoying of late.

I live down the road from a brewery, I know this time of year gets a lot visitors for meals and beer samples but anyone else noticed the rise in popularity this year, not just the 20 something's or Range Rover driver yuppies, but a lot of demographics?

I live down the road from a brewery, I know this time of year gets a lot visitors for meals and beer samples but anyone else noticed the rise in popularity this year, not just the 20 something's or Range Rover driver yuppies, but a lot of demographics?
Has a lot more to do with the atmosphere then the beer I reckon for a lot of people. Usually always chilled and kid friendly, not many lads getting together to smash $13+ pints whilst leering at the only girl in the place. I reckon the simpler the better for a brewery, good beer & decent food equals :thumbsu:

12088480_728632050603455_5727016906432565476_n.jpg

Brought these back from a recent trip to Tassie. The Dam Busters (middle one) is a mid-strength ale and is a real nice drop. I have a bit of a keen interest in the mid-strength craft beers and put this along side Little Bling from Bridge Road Brewers as the better ones.

I also just finished brewing up a mid-strength stout which turned out more like a dark ale (similar to White Rabbit) which I was pretty happy about. Probably just needed a bit more of the Pacific Jade hops we used to make it a little more punchy.
There's a massive space in the market for mid-strength craft beers (especially dark), can understand why not many brewers attempt it though, extremely hard to get big flavours without the alcohol content getting up there.

Does the word "mid-strength" still turn most people off?

Anyone tried the new Coles beer that is sold at liquorland?

The Pale Ale was decent.
Pisswater, The woolies have i think Sail and Anchor in a similar run, the IPA is alright but the pale ale and golden ale were horse-s**t

Also, is it just me or is James Squires a little overrated? I feel as if they were one of the first craft beers on the market, but now have been overtaken by so many.
150 Lashes is dog-s**t no doubt about that, But in general the 150 lashes has damaged australian's taste for proper beer, Whinge all you want but Carlton Draught/VB were slightly interesting beers, 150 Lashes is bland, It's purposely bland at 4.2% and marketed as a beer worthy of the $55+ bracket.

The Hop thief is drinkable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton draught is undrinkable. I understand if you're not a big beer drinker...but interesting??
Most people from their 20s upwards at least would be brought up on Carlton Draught in Melbourne. So the taste comes with so many memories of good times.

I was a VB drinker when younger. Now I'll have a VB at the footy club but I can't drink draught.
Fair enough. It was either Carlton Draught, mixers, or goon bags in my area for the teenagers. I'm not saying I like Carlton Draught that much. It's just filled with a bit of recent nostalgia.

I think the James Squire Amber and Porter are still good quality beers.

Most of the rest can GAGF. What really shitted me the other day was looking at their Copper Ale, which was 3.4%, then still charging full strength craft price for it :mad:

Does the word "mid-strength" still turn most people off?

I enjoy Coopers Mild Ale and Rogers.

I'd personally like better quality midstrength beers on the market, good for driving and bit healthier having less alcohol, but most of them are pretty ordinary and not a lot of variety.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back