Final trade period result

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I hope I haven't managed to mix anything up here, but from that I can tell from the trades posted, this is the final result after picks that have been moved on:

IN
Chol
Ginnivan
Gunston
DÁmbrosio

Third Round pick 44
Third round pick 47
Third round pick 61
Third round pick 49
Forth round pick 63

Future second pick (coll)

Out

Kozzie
Ryan
Brocky

Third round pick (WB)
Second round pick (WB)

Future second round (HAW)
Future Third (HAW)
Future forth (Haw)

Notes of interest:
  • We have a lot of late picks this year for our F/S lads
  • We have moved down a bit next year and only keep out future R1

So based on that, the draft selections we have are:

R1 (Haw)
R3 pick 44
R3 47
R3 49
R3 61
R3 63

R1 (Haw)
R2 (Coll)

EDIT: According to MM, we have our future 2nd still, so perhaps that Collingwood one was traded instead.

Last edited:
Pure Pick wise

we went from 955 points to 1335 this year ie +380 points

And based on this years ladder position we are -920 points next year.

So approximately pick 34 in value difference.

Player changes:
Chol / Kosi - Chol slight upgrade
Brockman / Ginnivan - Brockman higher ceiling, Ginnivan achieved more to date
Ryan / Gunston - Ryan, who knows if gunston even has enough left in the tank
D'Ambrossio

All in all id say we lost out or drew even with the player changes and also lost on total points difference.

HAWTHORN

Who left:
Tyler Brockman (trade, West Coast), Jacob Koschitzke (trade, Richmond), Brandon Ryan (trade, Brisbane Lions)

Who arrived: Jack Ginnivan (trade, Collingwood), Jack Gunston (trade, Brisbane Lions), Mabior Chol (trade, Gold Coast), Massimo D’Ambrosio (trade, Essendon)

Draft picks owned: 4, 44, 47, 49, 62, 63

David King says: “I think Hawthorn have done really well (with Ginnivan). It’s a steal for them. I like the way he plays, but he’s got to be more back page and less front page … I don’t understand it (the Gunston trade), to be blunt about it. Jack has achieved everything in our game. It didn’t work at Brisbane and he wanted to come home. I know he can play serious footy and he can probably have another four-goal game across the journey next year, but how many games does he take off and development hours at Hawthorn? That’s what concerns me. They’re on the fast-track model to rebuild in a two to three-year window – otherwise the heat is going to come on Sam Mitchell. I think he’ll look back at this decision (Gunston) in two to three years’ time and think: ‘Was it a good one or not?’ I think the ruthless Hawthorn of old would’ve said ‘not for us’.”

Leigh Montagna says: “He (Gunston) is going to be a mentor in that forward line, that’s why they’ve got him back. How much of his best football we’re going to see, I’m not sure. It’s an interesting one for me, we’ve spoken about where they’re at with their rebuild – and now they’ve gone and got someone who’s 32 years of age … (Chol) is another big risk for me for Hawthorn. There’s a reason he’s only played he’s 60 games in eight years. He’s inconsistent, a lot of people have seen his effort fluctuate, he’s a guy that can kick goals when the team is going really well. We talk about Gunston coming back at 32, we know Luke Breust is 33, Chad Wingard is 30 – now they’re bringing in a 27-year-old who I’m not sold on. I’m really curious to see what their play is with this trade period … The upside on some players. Particularly Chol and Ginnivan, we know the talent is there. It’s just a question of consistency and doing it week-in, week-out at AFL level at a team that’s probably still; a few years away from being a finals team. They went after Ben McKay and Esava Ratugolea and Liam Henry and didn’t land them and they lost Brockman, so it probably hasn’t been as successful as they would’ve liked. A bit of a hit and miss period for the Hawks.”

Foxfooty.com.au trade grade: B

Posted this in the other thread:

Unless I'm missing anything this is the fair summary of our business:

IN
Players - Ginnivan, Chol, D'Ambrosio, Gunston
'23 Picks - 44, 47, 49, 62, 63
'24 Picks - F2 (Pies), F4 (Pies)

OUT
Players - Brockman, Ryan, Kossie
'23 Picks - 33, 54
'24 Picks - F2 (Hawks), F3 (Hawks), F4 (Hawks)

"Easy-come easy-go"
'23 Picks - 39, 61
'24 Picks - F2 (Bris), F4 (Pies)

Individual trades:
IN - Massimo
OUT - 61, F4 (Pies)

IN - Chol, 62
OUT - F2 (Bris)

IN - Gunston, 47, 61, F2 (Bris)
OUT - Ryan, 39, 54, F4 (Hawks)

IN - 49
OUT - Kossie

IN - Ginnivan, 39, F2 (Pies), F4 (Pies)
OUT - 33, F2 (Hawks), F3 (Hawks)

IN - 44, 63
OUT - Brockman

By the end of the draft we should be a lot better than this years list.

Ginnivan- Kicks way more goals than Brockman next season.
Chol- Kicks way more goals than Kosi next season, and rucks a ton better.
Gunston- Kicks way more goals than Ryan next season and offers great leadership.
Massimo- Does anything we want him to do, better than Bramble.

Add 2 first rounders Wiz/Duursma and McCabe. Possibly another later pick and C.Dear as a rookie.

HAWTHORN

Who left:
Tyler Brockman (trade, West Coast), Jacob Koschitzke (trade, Richmond), Brandon Ryan (trade, Brisbane Lions)

Who arrived: Jack Ginnivan (trade, Collingwood), Jack Gunston (trade, Brisbane Lions), Mabior Chol (trade, Gold Coast), Massimo D’Ambrosio (trade, Essendon)

Draft picks owned: 4, 44, 47, 49, 62, 63

David King says: “I think Hawthorn have done really well (with Ginnivan). It’s a steal for them. I like the way he plays, but he’s got to be more back page and less front page … I don’t understand it (the Gunston trade), to be blunt about it. Jack has achieved everything in our game. It didn’t work at Brisbane and he wanted to come home. I know he can play serious footy and he can probably have another four-goal game across the journey next year, but how many games does he take off and development hours at Hawthorn? That’s what concerns me. They’re on the fast-track model to rebuild in a two to three-year window – otherwise the heat is going to come on Sam Mitchell. I think he’ll look back at this decision (Gunston) in two to three years’ time and think: ‘Was it a good one or not?’ I think the ruthless Hawthorn of old would’ve said ‘not for us’.”

Leigh Montagna says: “He (Gunston) is going to be a mentor in that forward line, that’s why they’ve got him back. How much of his best football we’re going to see, I’m not sure. It’s an interesting one for me, we’ve spoken about where they’re at with their rebuild – and now they’ve gone and got someone who’s 32 years of age … (Chol) is another big risk for me for Hawthorn. There’s a reason he’s only played he’s 60 games in eight years. He’s inconsistent, a lot of people have seen his effort fluctuate, he’s a guy that can kick goals when the team is going really well. We talk about Gunston coming back at 32, we know Luke Breust is 33, Chad Wingard is 30 – now they’re bringing in a 27-year-old who I’m not sold on. I’m really curious to see what their play is with this trade period … The upside on some players. Particularly Chol and Ginnivan, we know the talent is there. It’s just a question of consistency and doing it week-in, week-out at AFL level at a team that’s probably still; a few years away from being a finals team. They went after Ben McKay and Esava Ratugolea and Liam Henry and didn’t land them and they lost Brockman, so it probably hasn’t been as successful as they would’ve liked. A bit of a hit and miss period for the Hawks.”

Foxfooty.com.au trade grade: B
I Agree with both of these guys, I'm very excited for ginnivan he's ready to go! Gunstan I love the guy but isn't it a bit sentimental getting him back and not fitting with the youthful rebuild? And what about a key defender to support the best defender in the game,Sicily? Remember when Lake came to Hawks that was one of the main reasons for our triple. I hope they focus on a big gorilla back man to take the heat off siss a bit in the draft.....

King is a dick (as usual) but Leigh is rather listenable
Few years away finals from says to me Montagna hasn't been watching that closely. 2025 is the blueprint to return to finals and than around 2027 contending hopefully for silverware. Can't see why it can't happen either. These Journos need to get an idea where we think we are at before contemplating what we are doing with the rebuild.

Im not worried about the forward end at this stage.

Collingwood showed (and others before them) that you can win the lot with a serviceable forward line and an elite midfield. We are well on our way to an elite midfield as it is.

Lewis, Chol, Ginni, Watson/Duursma is more than serviceable looking forward and like the Pies, we have plenty of mids who are capable of a goal.

Missing McKay is my only negative, we'll just have to back Blanck in.

People lament losing Ryan and Brocky due to their potential but dont give DGB the same love. He could still be a wildcard too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back