Five most memorable racing results last 25 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
Highly subjective and dictated by personal choice, but here goes:

1. 1995 Melbourne Cup - Makybe Diva makes it three in a row. Champion becomes a legend.
2. TJ Smith 2011 - Caviar in for the fight v the brilliant Hay List and runs away stamping itself as the country's greatest ever racehorse
3. 2002 Caulfield Stakes - Lohnro runs down Sunline in a thriller that is one of the best
4. 1997 Caulfield Cup - Might and Power waltzes away
5. 1992 Cox Plate - Super Impose - quoted not only for the drama of Super Impose's win but the roll call of superstar WFA horses behind it

As always thoughts, opinions, disagreement appreciated

1997 Melbourne Cup was a beauty for mine too - two great stayers barely separated. And agree on M&P's win in the Caufield Cup - amazing.

1990 Cox Plate with Better Loosen Up giving the leaders a massive start and eating them all up

For a recent one I remember fondly the 2012 Caulfield Guineas, Pierro coming in unbeaten. All Too Hard showed a mountain of class to round them up, remember a huge roar from the grandstand as he ran them down.

Massive Northerly fan so the 2nd cox plate after winning the Caulfield cup the week before. Bart Cummings previously said the double is pretty much impossible with the horse having to come back in distance in a week against horses specifically set for the race. Freak effort

1997 Melbourne Cup was a beauty for mine too - two great stayers barely separated. And agree on M&P's win in the Caufield Cup - amazing.

1990 Cox Plate with Better Loosen Up giving the leaders a massive start and eating them all up

For a recent one I remember fondly the 2012 Caulfield Guineas, Pierro coming in unbeaten. All Too Hard showed a mountain of class to round them up, remember a huge roar from the grandstand as he ran them down.

Caulfield Guineas has thrown up great theatre. Close to putting Redoutes nailing Testa Rossa late in a fantastic race

This is my kind of thread!

1/ Hareeba blowing apart a class sprint field in the Australia Stakes
2/ 1992 Cox plate cos there will never ever be a better field ever to race in the WORLD than that race
3/ Better Loosen Up winning the Japan Cup ... the true staying championship
4/ Might and Power's Melbourne Cup, much bigger win than the Caulfield Cup, no horse and led and won a Melbourne Cup besides him, this was after a big penalty after winning the Caulfield Cup.
5/ Pick a Black Caviar race.. any race

special mention to 1997 last race at Donald where Lightening Leroy flew down the outside and got me a huge quaddy where i was the only one to get it!

My personal highlights

1 - 2005 Melbourne Cup - Makybe Diva's 3-peat - simply racing immortality
2 - 2011 2000 Guineas (UK) - Frankel records the most dominant performance I have seen on a race track
3 - 2009 Cox Plate - So You Think records the most remarkable win I have seen in Australia
4 - 2011 TJ Smith - Black Caviar gives Hay List, a champion in his own right, a start and a huge beating in her first win outside Victoria...daylight third
5 - 2013 Prix de l'Arc Triomphe - Treve races 3-and-4 wide the trip, pulls herself to the lead 600m out and still explodes away to a crushing 5 length Arc win - destroying Japanese champion Orfevre in the process.

I tend to remember "major events" and exciting finishes more than impressively great individual races, or things like Might and Power's Caulfield Cup would definitely rate a mention. My list:

1 - 2005 Melbourne Cup - Obvious. Would by #1 of 9 in every 10 racing fans IMO.
2 - 2012 Diamond Jubilee Stakes - Black Caviar's only win overseas. Even non-racing fans stayed up till 2am or whatever it was to watch, and what a heart-in-mouth finish!
3 - 2010 Breeder's Cup Classic - Zenyatta's first loss in 20 starts. Pretty impossible to have worse 'luck in the run' than this. Still looks a chance 100m out. Amazing effort.
4 - 2012 Champion Stakes - The last time we ever got to see the greatest racehorse that ever lived run. Also probably it's biggest challenge, CDA on an English Heavy track. Never looks the loser despite completely missing the start. Unbeatable.
5 - 2002 Melbourne Cup - Not a particularly great race and the horse doesn't deserve to ever be on a list with the previous 4, but it doesn't really get more 'memorable' than this. Only one of the 5 to have a movie made out of it... nuff said.

1986 is ... 1,2,3,...,28 - more than 25 so:
1. 2005 Melbourne Cup - obv.
2. 1996 Australian Cup - A head between Octagonal, Nothin Leica Dane and Saintly
3. 2000 Cox Plate - Sunline by 8 lengths
4. 1997 Melbourne Cup - great finish between two great stayers
5. 1992 Cox Plate - great finish by Super Impose over a star studded field

Last edited:
Freemason vs Northerly in the BMW (or whatever it was called then) was the best 2 horse war I have seen as well. Both just put the foot down and went stride for stride from the halfway point

Great thread!

Need more think time but 1999 Caulfield Guineas has to be high in the conversation. Couldnt find stand alone but starts 15 secs in

My Top 5 favourite wins:
1. 2009 & 2010 Cox Plate wins by So You Think. He is still my ultimate favourite horse.
2. 2005 Melbourne Cup- Obviously an incredible victory by the Legend Makybe Diva.
3. 2008 Cox Plate- Maldivian
4. 2013 Caulfield Cup- Fawkner
5. 2007 Melbourne Cup- Efficient.

Bunk Moreland totally agree with the 2012 Caulfield Guineas :thumbsu:
There are too many to name really, five isn't enough for me.

Interesting choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Miracles of Life one is a weird one for me, at the time I remember getting the chills it was such a feel good story. But now it's a bit like meh and the emotion seems a bit of an overkill

Only looked at Australasian horses

1990 Japan Cup - Better Loosen Up beat a crack field including Cacoetehes who had won the King George Stakes and ORb who was Europe's best 3 year old.
1989 Japan Cup - Horlicks first Australiasian horse to win the Japan Cup. She raced in an era when we had genuine WFA stars.
1979 Cox Plate - Dulcify destroyed NZ's best in Shivaree. by 7 lengths. It's important to realise that Shivaree beat the third horse by 4 lengths.
2005 Tancred Stakes - Maybe Diva's brilliant acceleration in the last 200m to run past Grand Armee.
Hareeba's Newmarket Win - Was on the inside part of the track when the outside was 5+ lengths quicker.

Best ever performance was Secretariat in the Preakness Stakes. That performance will never be equalled.

And Horlicks and Secretariat produced a Melbourne Cup winner.

Hareeba's Newmarket Win - Was on the inside part of the track when the outside was 5+ lengths quicker.
Hareeba didnt win the Newmarket, that was the Group 1 handicap straight race that was run on Derby day for so many years. Was still a great effort though! I loved that horse, was sad how his career ended

Hareeba didnt win the Newmarket, that was the Group 1 handicap straight race that was run on Derby day for so many years. Was still a great effort though! I loved that horse, was sad how his career ended

You are right - It was the Group 1 on Derby - Would have won by 6+ lengths if he drew the right side of the track.

Dulcify's Cox Plate
Efficient's Vic Derby
Kingston Rule's Melb Cup
Makybe Diva's 3rd Cup
any number of Vo Rogue wins.

The Miracles of Life one is a weird one for me, at the time I remember getting the chills it was such a feel good story. But now it's a bit like meh and the emotion seems a bit of an overkill

Probably because its a 2yo race.

1990 Japan Cup - Better Loosen Up beat a crack field including Cacoetehes who had won the King George Stakes and ORb who was Europe's best 3 year old.
1989 Japan Cup - Horlicks first Australiasian horse to win the Japan Cup. She raced in an era when we had genuine WFA stars.
1979 Cox Plate - Dulcify destroyed NZ's best in Shivaree. by 7 lengths. It's important to realise that Shivaree beat the third horse by 4 lengths.
2005 Tancred Stakes - Maybe Diva's brilliant acceleration in the last 200m to run past Grand Armee.

Best ever performance was Secretariat in the Preakness Stakes. That performance will never be equalled.

I know you struggle to read threads properly but might want to look at the subject title.

Don't know about best ever but absolutely amazing. Just broke their hearts.

Eyes bulging and fired right up pre race, then they couldn't pull him up and he wanted to go around again post race. Given that he had never put in a performance near that level before you have to wonder if he was given any "assistance" for that race

Eyes bulging and fired right up pre race, then they couldn't pull him up and he wanted to go around again post race. Given that he had never put in a performance near that level before you have to wonder if he was given any "assistance" for that race

Given it was in the US assistance is a certainty - agree you will never see a performance like it again though.

Frankel's Guineas win is the closet I have seen since and even he folded up in the last furlong and a half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back