Fixture Fixture 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure I have said this somewhere before but the AFL could actually end all the complaints about fixture if they adopted this approach

Top 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once
Middle 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once
Bottom 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once

That sorts out the 22 Rounds.

Now its apparently permanently with us, being the Gather Round.

It should be made a game between traditional rivals. Each Club has to nominate say 5 other clubs as a traditional rival, so that when their "most traditional" rival, is already fixtured to play them twice in the one year, another club fills that role instead.

I call that common sense, but I know that is an entirely alien concept at the AFL.

Last edited:
I'm sure I have said this somewhere before but the AFL could actually end all the complaints about fixture if they adopted this approach

Top 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once
Middle 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once
Bottom 6 clubs from the previous year play each other twice and all others once

That sorts out the 22 Rounds.

Now its apparently permanently with us, being the Gather Round.

It should be made a game between traditional rivals Each Club has to nominate say 5 other clubs as a traditional rival, so that when their "most traditional" rival, is already fixtured to play them twice in the one year, another club fills that role instead.

I call that common sense, but I know that is an entirely alien concept at the AFL.
It's not called a "fix"ture for nothing

Two weeks of the media talking Carlton up for the flag only for them to implode when they play us on Good Friday.

Carlton are good theatre for Ch7 if they’re winning or losing. The thousands of knuckle draggers who’ll tune in if they’re winning might actually be surpassed by the interest in the fallout if they’re losing.

The afl is a corrupt pack of dogs

Supposedly the biggest sport in the world (in their eyes ) but we need the big teams to play each other every week and not go interstate ffs
They should have a rolling fixture with maybe 2 derby clubs that play you twice every year

The afl is a corrupt pack of dogs

Supposedly the biggest sport in the world (in their eyes ) but we need the big teams to play each other every week and not go interstate ffs
They should have a rolling fixture with maybe 2 derby clubs that play you twice every year
FWIW, Collingwood have the same number of interstate away games as we do.

FWIW, Collingwood have the same number of interstate away games as we do.
Sure.

Now do the same exercise over 10 years.
Now add in Geelong games.
Now add in home games against Fremantle, GWS, GC.

Obviously no need to go on...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if its been mentioned but Carlton have a 15 day break prior to playing us on Good Friday.

Thats almost unprecedented in this league.
Having a staggered fixture for each Club's first game is close to unprecedented I would have thought also.

Any Coach who's had a serious Round 1 hit out would love to come up against those teams playing their first game the following week.

That's an advantage teams shouldn't be given.

Except it will be forever as far as I am concerned. I don't want just one opportunity to give him s***. I intend to do it as long as I can manage to get air into my lungs.
I just look at it from the perspective that we're better off with Wardlaw than an extra season of a half arsed Fabian Jnr.

To be honest he'll barely even register to me as a former North player. A bit like Bruce Abernethy who ****ed off to Collingwood after 2 years with us.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Just wondering if any of our South Australian supporters can help me with a query on Gather Round.

I'm considering going over next year as Ms Horace lives there now, meaning free accommodation for us. Were/are we able to access the game against Brisbane for free using our North memberships?

Thanks in advance.

(Also might pay to go watch port adelaide, to give our departed best mate, a "cheer" on.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back