Footy in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Feels like a watershed moment with the Allies winning the under 18 champs.

Along with the Suns and Lions reserves sides are we witnessing the emergence of Qld as legit AFL breeding ground?

The AFL would be quietly stoked that their investment is nearing some fruit finally.

Is this sustainable or a one off ?

Last edited:
Seems like we're in the middle of an explosion of predicted first round talent from Queensland over the next few years:

2022: #2 Will Ashcroft (Gold Coast), #12 Jaspa Fletcher (Brisbane)
2023: Predicted #2 Jed Walter (Gold Coast), Predicted #5 Ethan Read (Gold Coast), Predicted #8-15 Jake Rogers (Gold Coast)
2024: Levi Ashcroft (Gold Coast), Leonardo Lombard (Gold Coast), Caleb Nancarrow (Cairns)
2025: Harrison Bridge (Brisbane), Beau Addinsall (Gold Coast), Jai Murray (Gold Coast)

Probably too early to make any sort of call on the 2026 draft class but it does seem like this production line of first round talent from Queensland could continue for a little while yet. This may be the long-term legacy of the 2020 Grand Final being held at the Gabba and the state funding the AFL were able to secure for grassroots footy when they struck their deal with the QLD government. That and all the hard work being done with the two Queensland academies.

I hope so and leads to more future members for GC in particular.

On a side note I went to my first Gold Coast game a couple of weeks ago and while the supporters were more than friendly, the lack of atmosphere was noticeable. Hopefully having more home grown talent in the region will lead to more supporters/members being invested.

I hope so and leads to more future members for GC in particular.

On a side note I went to my first Gold Coast game a couple of weeks ago and while the supporters were more than friendly, the lack of atmosphere was noticeable. Hopefully having more home grown talent in the region will lead to more supporters/members being invested.
It’s like that with league and union as well.
Football isn’t a culture for Queenslanders like it is with everyone down in Vic, they live and breathe it

Weren't the allies lead to victory by 2x Tasmanians?

Change the thread title pls OP.

Having said that, the Suns academy appears to be producing some really strong talent. Shame that Jed Walter, a WCE fan, isn't available to the open draft however.
You clearly haven't watched the Allies play this year. Queenslander Ethan Read was dominant in the ruck and is looking like a top 5 pick and Jed Walter, who is now a lock to go top 2 in the draft, kicked more goals than any of his Allies teammates. Fellow Queenslander Jake Rogers was also very influential during their campaign and looks like a first round talent as well. Even other Queenslanders Graham and Watson played well for the Allies and look like decent chances to get drafted.

McKercher and Sanders were great but to suggest Queensland didn't heavily influence the Allies' success this year is flat out wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the draft order for the top 5 this year - #1 Reid (Vic C), #2 Walter (QLD), #3 McKercher (TAS), #4 Watson (Vic M), #5 Read (QLD).

You clearly haven't watched the Allies play this year. Queenslander Ethan Read was dominant in the ruck and is looking like a top 5 pick and Jed Walter, who is now a lock to go top 2 in the draft, kicked more goals than any of his Allies teammates. Fellow Queenslander Jake Rogers was also very influential during their campaign and looks like a first round talent as well. Even other Queenslanders Graham and Watson played well for the Allies and look like decent chances to get drafted.

McKercher and Sanders were great but to suggest Queensland didn't heavily influence the Allies' success this year is flat out wrong. Wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being the draft order for the top 5 this year - #1 Reid (Vic C), #2 Walter (QLD), #3 McKercher (TAS), #4 Watson (Vic M), #5 Read (QLD).
'twas a bit of a joke, tbh.

Bold you you to leave Curtin out of the top 5 though.

'twas a bit of a joke, tbh.

Bold you you to leave Curtin out of the top 5 though.
There's a few others that could go into the top 5 like Caddy and Duursma but the point of the post was to show that Queensland has a better chance of having multiple top 5 picks this year when compared to Tasmania and that's mainly due to the way they've played for the Allies.

The culture in Queensland has certainly changed, particularly in Brisbane. AFL is a legitimate sporting pathway for kids now days without the hindrance of the all encompassing rugby bias there once was. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of old timers with their heads in the sand, waving fists at clouds, but the wheel has turned in terms of acceptance.

It's quite common to see people kicking the footy around in parks now and of lions jumpers being worn. They are still fair weather supporters and the Bronco's are still number one in terms of interest but the Lions have been adopted by the city and they are proud of their success.

The influx of talent shows that the code is growing and is now very much relevant in the Brisbane region. It also gives the AFL a clear idea the length of time it will take to achieve that type of ingrained viability on the Gold Coast. The Lions achieved a kick start with three flags and the supporters that created are now creating kids that support the game. The Sun need the same starting with a finals win. I'm hoping that comes sooner rather than later because the Suns desperately need the supporters to grow, NOW!

All the talent pouring in will help both the Lions and Suns with many of them wanting to stay or eventually play, in their home state.

Along with the Suns and Lions reserves sides are we witnessing the emergence of Qld as legit AFL breeding ground?

The AFL would be quietly stoked that their investment is nearing some fruit finally.

As an aside, the girls have been there or therabouts for a decade plus now. Would be exciting to see it replicated (to a lesser degree, obviously).

Everyone should hope this is the case if the league intends to add multiple new teams over the next decade or so.

If Queensland and nsw through their academies can add talent to the draft, especially in the first round this is only ever going to be a good thing for the broader comp.

Participation rates are booming, especially amongst women and girls teams.

The two teams I've been involved with the last 5 years didn't have any female teams and now they have two and a ladies masters team.

For families with kids it's also cheaper to play than junior rugby league, rugby union or soccer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The culture in Queensland has certainly changed, particularly in Brisbane. AFL is a legitimate sporting pathway for kids now days without the hindrance of the all encompassing rugby bias there once was. Don't get me wrong, there are still plenty of old timers with their heads in the sand, waving fists at clouds, but the wheel has turned in terms of acceptance.

It's quite common to see people kicking the footy around in parks now and of lions jumpers being worn. They are still fair weather supporters and the Bronco's are still number one in terms of interest but the Lions have been adopted by the city and they are proud of their success.

The influx of talent shows that the code is growing and is now very much relevant in the Brisbane region. It also gives the AFL a clear idea the length of time it will take to achieve that type of ingrained viability on the Gold Coast. The Lions achieved a kick start with three flags and the supporters that created are now creating kids that support the game. The Sun need the same starting with a finals win. I'm hoping that comes sooner rather than later because the Suns desperately need the supporters to grow, NOW!

All the talent pouring in will help both the Lions and Suns with many of them wanting to stay or eventually play, in their home state.
The biggest culture change will occur in the QLD GPS schools. Rugby union is still the preoccupation in these schools but my feeling is that with the irreversible decline in Australian rugby, AFL should be in a position to make inroads into the GPS. If/when that happens, the production of AFL quality kids will explode.

Almost all the top talent in Queensland recently and in the future has come from Gold Coast's academy. They're doing something right that Brisbane simply aren't. Perhaps the school competitions are stronger on the Gold Coast too. So it's only part of Queensland really.

Is it time to split the Allies for the U18 carnival. North = Qld and NT, South = Tas, NSW/ACT?
Why bother? If the Allies start dominating, then split all states up. Or if the dominance is mostly due to players from one state, split that one out as a separate team and continue the Allies with the rest.

Sunshine Coast?
Apparently the SC will pretty much be North Brisbane in a few decades time. A game at the Olympic stadium every week, a true Brisbane derby, and a much larger catchment of people in a growing market at a major city with no crosstown rival, or SC which won’t reach the population that the GC has now for another 25 years or so.

IMO a 2nd team in Brisbane is a long way off, at the absolute earliest it would be after the Olympics in 2032.

The NRL have only just bought a 2nd team into Brisbane a Rugby League heartland this season.

If I am not mistaken there was a discussion around this and the Gold Coast Suns on the ESPN Footy Podcast earlier in the season with those guys saying that the participation rates for Aussie Rules at the junior level on the Gold Coast now exceed that for any other code and it's for this reason that regardless of how bad the Suns are performing the AFL will continue to back them in as it forms part of the bigger picture for them.

If I am not mistaken there was a discussion around this and the Gold Coast Suns on the ESPN Footy Podcast earlier in the season with those guys saying that the participation rates for Aussie Rules at the junior level on the Gold Coast now exceed that for any other code and it's for this reason that regardless of how bad the Suns are performing the AFL will continue to back them in as it forms part of the bigger picture for them.

I actually think this is why Stewy Dew's days are numbered. Despite how well the team does this year on field, the AFL are very eager to capture the public's attention off-field. I can't think of another team the AFL would be more concerned about at the moment than the Suns, given their investment. Given the amount of talent they have had at their disposal, you can't blame the list. It has to be the club culture, game plan and development.

This is why I feel Hardwick will have the job next year, so the AFL have more assurances with a proven coach such as Dimma, that they will have more immediate success. He will change the culture of the club, get the players believing in themselves and all pushing in the same direction. I think it's exactly why Dimma left the Tigers; he has the opportunity to create history with a list that will be the envy of the competition.

If Gold Coast is successful, I can see the code begin to thrive in the region. I don't feel it will ever have the sheer number of supporter clubs in the south have but I do see them growing on a similar trajectory as Sydney and Brisbane. They just need some on-field support first.

Am I the only one who thinks a second team in Brisbane in the AFL is inevitable? The game is growing there and there could be 4 million people living in Brisbane by 2050. If Perth, Adelaide, and Sydney can have two teams, it seems like Brisbane will be able to support two, too, eventually.
Yes, you are the only one. Best to stick with one team that the whole city can get behind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back