royals1922

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts RIP
Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rotor Volgograd, The Exers
There's been a few threads on where AFL clubs team songs came from but let's look at something more substantive.

When were the football team songs first used.
Were the theme songs for the clubs always the same- remember the Bombers only became the bombers late, Hawthorn were the Mayblooms ( so did they have a theme song with a line making reference to them being the Hawks).

If the songs were changed, what were they changed from...

I'll begin.

There is a reference in the Argus of 22 June 1903 at page 7 where, in reference to a Fitzroy -Melbourne game, it is stated "and those who looked for what in the vernacular of the game is called a "cake walk" were agreeably disappointed".

First possible fact:

The cakewalk in Collingwood's song may not refer to the actual dance known as the cakewalk but to an expression in use at the time in footy circles meaning easy win.

Last edited:
As early as 1902 Collingwood had a "warcry".

The Register of SA of 18 August 1902 at page 4 records that "The Collingwood Football brought over (to SA) a rousing warcry and nominates a SA version but does not set out the Collingwood version.

North Melbourne's dates to at least 1948 - there is a reference in the Broken hill Barrier Miner of 17 September 1948 at page 8 where it was said in relation to a trip by NM FC they sang "their own club song set to tune of "Heart to Heart".

I'll begin.

There is a reference in the Argus of 22 June 1903 at page 7 where, in reference to a Fitzroy -Melbourne game, it is stated "and those who looked for what in the vernacular of the game is called a "cake walk" were agreeably disappointed".

First possible fact:

The cakewalk in Collingwood's song may not refer to the actual dance known as the cakewalk but to an expression in use at the time in footy circles meaning easy win.
This seems to be backed by a reference in the Bunbury Herald of 4 October 1910 at page 3 where the byline is "The Premiership a cakewalk".

Again on Collingwood. I found a reference in the News of Adelaide of 4 August 1947 at page 8 to Collingwood players breaking out in the club song spontaneously when an accordionist started playing "Dolly Gray" upon which the song is based.

The Dogs are interesting. I found a reference in the Independent of Footscray of 29 July 1899 at page 3 where the Footscray juniors were called the "Sons of the Sea"

What about those clubs who share there "theme song" with

Sanfl or wafl clubs.

Does anyone know who started using them first?

Is there any clubs that share a theme song?

Sanfl or wafl clubs.

Pretty sure Glenelg had their own song which was something like "A tiger for me, a tiger for me, if you're not a tiger then [something] with me" before they adopted Tigerland.

In terms of tunes and teams from SANFL/WAFL

- Port Adelaide and East Fremantle use variations of the Notre Dame March which is the basis for the Sydney song (not sure if Port though has changed now that they're purely reserves team)
- West Perth and Norwood use Melbourne's song almost exactly, and Sturt use the same tune with a few substitutions
- Central Districts and West Adelaide use a variation of Yankee Doodle Dandy (Hawks song)
- South Adelaide based on Carlton's song (Lily of Laguna)
- Glenelg and Claremont base their songs on Richmond's (Glenelg exactly, Claremont substitute Yellow and Black to reflect their colours)
- Brisbane Bears' 2nd song used the same tune as Subiaco's (Glory Glory) and Woodville/West Torrens Eagles (West Torrens song was same tune as Subiaco's, can't remember Woodville's)
- Perth's song has similarities to Adelaide Crows (based on US Marines)

The only clubs that I can remember not using a tune from an AFL club from SANFL/WAFL Ranks (either exact copies or derivations of) are North Adelaide, Peel Thunder (Based on Chelsea's Blue the the Colour), East Perth (Anchor's Aweigh), Swan Districts (Babyface) and South Fremantle

Pretty sure Glenelg had their own song which was something like "A tiger for me, a tiger for me, if you're not a tiger then [something] with me" before they adopted Tigerland.

this is where the term gay bays came from

Again on Collingwood. I found a reference in the News of Adelaide of 4 August 1947 at page 8 to Collingwood players breaking out in the club song spontaneously when an accordionist started playing "Dolly Gray" upon which the song is based.

I think you will find Tom Nelson, Collingwood footballer wrote Good Old Collingwood forever to the tune of Dolly Gray around the early 1900's.

Actually here it is,

Bill Proudfoot played his last game for Collingwood in 1906 and a player named Thomas Nelson played his entire 3 game career this season. Nelson is immortalised with penning new lyrics to the Boer War song, Goodbye Dolly Grey, giving us our club song, Good Old Collingwood Forever.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/club/beforemchale.html

Melbourne's was sung by players in 1912 then a second verse (not used now) got added in 1939. There is a version of the second verse from 1940 with the tantalising opening line..

"Now the Tigers they are haughty in the year 1940"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you will find Tom Nelson, Collingwood footballer wrote Good Old Collingwood forever to the tune of Dolly Gray around the early 1900's.

Actually here it is,

Bill Proudfoot played his last game for Collingwood in 1906 and a player named Thomas Nelson played his entire 3 game career this season. Nelson is immortalised with penning new lyrics to the Boer War song, Goodbye Dolly Grey, giving us our club song, Good Old Collingwood Forever.

http://www.magpies.net/nick/club/beforemchale.html
I read that but I've tried finding verification of that in trove without much luck.

I read that but I've tried finding verification of that in trove without much luck.

The only other way of doing things is contacting the club, finding some contacts for longest member, oldest supporter and interviewing people like that, their memories may or may not be an issue.

Maybe official club historians may have some info, it is quite a interesting subject, i probably like many other people assumed that club songs went back to the very begiinings of the clubs, but that is not always the case.

As people pass away they take with them pieces of info that at one stage may have been common knowledge, and they don't think are important.

Pretty sure for EX that plenty of people into the 1980's could have told you all about the early Collingwood FC war cry, or exactly where and when the club song was written and who was present etc etc

The only other way of doing things is contacting the club, finding some contacts for longest member, oldest supporter and interviewing people like that, their memories may or may not be an issue.

Maybe official club historians may have some info, it is quite a interesting subject, i probably like many other people assumed that club songs went back to the very begiinings of the clubs, but that is not always the case.

As people pass away they take with them pieces of info that at one stage may have been common knowledge, and they don't think are important.

Pretty sure for EX that plenty of people into the 1980's could have told you all about the early Collingwood FC war cry, or exactly where and when the club song was written and who was present etc etc
But one thing I always remember is because the history is recorded so haphazardly, it simply is not reflected in the newspapers of the time. An example is the nickname of Richmond being the tigers - it appears the first references are from 1915 onwards. I always adopt scepticism in these things.

Sanfl or wafl clubs.

port adelaide magpies stole their song from south melbourne bloods who are now of course the sydney swans

I understand east freo use this song too

The only clubs that I can remember not using a tune from an AFL club from SANFL/WAFL Ranks (either exact copies or derivations of) are North Adelaide, Peel Thunder (Based on Chelsea's Blue the the Colour), East Perth (Anchor's Aweigh), Swan Districts (Babyface) and South Fremantle

North Adelaide club song. Has its origins in about 1960 when country and western performer Johnny Mack who was a staunch North supporter wrote the club song, which has remained ever since

Remove this Banner Ad

Back