Travel Foreign countries you've been to

Remove this Banner Ad

Been to a few.

BEST: Russia, Cuba, Tel-Aviv - Israel (but Jerusalem was crap), Belarus (Minsk)

WORST: Barcelona (total let-down), London (also didn't live up to its reputation), Agadir, Morocco (just a generally crappy place, didn't visit any other parts of Morocco though)

I reckon Europe's boring as shite in general.

Hotel in Minsk had a stereotypical Soviet era bedside radio, with the added bonus of 1980 Moscow Olympics branding on it. Really, really wanted to souvenior it, but the thought of spending 15 or so years in a Belarussian prison turned me off. Would have been a great conversation piece.

Israel
Palestine
Barbados
Jamaica
Hungary
Ecuador
Mexico
Peru
Turkey
St Maarten
India
Sweden
United Kingdom
France
United States
Thailand
Finland
Norway
Denmark
Iceland
Belgium
Holland
Germany
Senegal
South Africa
Botswana

Best/worst. Well, I can't really think of a bad time I had anywhere. Best would be a tie between India, Jamaica and Mexico but I love traveling so tend to find the positive in places I go to so I don't have a worst place.

Depends on your definition of "been to", I guess.

Hong Kong (former home town)
Macau
Singapore
New Zealand
South Korea (transit only)
Canada
United States

Best: Canada. Absolutely loved Vancouver and Whistler. I'd love to do a tour of Canada one day, from west coast to east coast.

Worst: Singapore ... not that I hated it per se, but I hated the hot and humid weather. If I'm to go back there again it'd be for the F1, in and out as quickly as possible.

"To do" list:
United Kingdom
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Iceland
Greenland
France
Germany
Belgium
Netherlands
Switzerland
Austria

I strongly believe that travel is one of the best things in life and as Australians we are fortunate in that we have the opportunity to earn enough money to make travelling an option.

Like with most thing's it's not a race but something that should be enjoyed at all stages in life, though I agree with those that recommend starting as early as possible. The window for backpacking/partying from hostel to hostel while chasing foreign guys/girls is a narrow one. Your less likely to take risks (financially and physically) as you get older, potentially missing out on some experiences along the way.

Travel stories / country visited lists should only be shared for the inspiration of those who are listening, unfortunately there are too many "How big is yours" people that reinforce the travel snob image.

Like with most thing's it's not a race but something that should be enjoyed at all stages in life, though I agree with those that recommend starting as early as possible. The window for backpacking/partying from hostel to hostel while chasing foreign guys/girls is a narrow one. Your less likely to take risks (financially and physically) as you get older, potentially missing out on some experiences along the way.

Spot-on advice. Anyone in their early twenties undecided about traveling should just do it as some of the experiences you have when you are young, you will not be able to have just a few years later.

One not mentioned I can recommend is Jordan.

Did 5 days and it's got a lot of great sites to see, people are educated enough in English and although they have a strong currency the place is cheap. No hassles at all.

Spot-on advice. Anyone in their early twenties undecided about traveling should just do it as some of the experiences you have when you are young, you will not be able to have just a few years later.

Agreed. I didn't really go overseas until I was 25 and it was the best thing I've ever done.

If you're hell bent on going, go.
If you're tossing up whether or not to go, go.
If you're not interested in going at all, go - even if it's a run of the mill two week trip to London-Paris-Amsterdam then home.

Travel isn't for everyone, but you don't lose anything by giving it a go.

Agreed. I didn't really go overseas until I was 25 and it was the best thing I've ever done.

If you're hell bent on going, go.
If you're tossing up whether or not to go, go.
If you're not interested in going at all, go - even if it's a run of the mill two week trip to London-Paris-Amsterdam then home.

Travel isn't for everyone, but you don't lose anything by giving it a go.

Would you say it's worth getting yourself into a few thousand dollars worth of debt?
I'm really keen to go on a trip through Europe while I'm young but to do so I'd need to get a personal loan..

Would you say it's worth getting yourself into a few thousand dollars worth of debt?
I'm really keen to go on a trip through Europe while I'm young but to do so I'd need to get a personal loan..

Definitely is worth getting into some debt over but what you should do is work while you are overseas as well so debt doesn't get out of hand. It is a great way to experience a place, meet the locals and fund further travel.

Depends on your ability to service the debt.

I would probably say no, but I've always been a 'if you want something save the money then buy it' sort of person.

If you're a student who wants to travel the minute they finish their degree then borrowing a couple of grand probably isn't going to be a weight around your neck for years to come. If you're a floater between casual jobs then borrowing a large amount for a holiday probably isn't a wise move.

US
Mexico
Taiwan
Malaysia
Singapore
Brunei
New Zealand
Indonesia
Japan
Hong Kong
China
Guam
Philippines
Vietnam
Thailand
UK
Ireland
Italy
Germany
France
Netherlands
Belgium
Austria
Switzerland
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Spain
Sweden
Denmark

That's about 30... I know I've missed a few.

I'd like to get to Korea and Canada.

Depends on your ability to service the debt.

I would probably say no, but I've always been a 'if you want something save the money then buy it' sort of person.

If you're a student who wants to travel the minute they finish their degree then borrowing a couple of grand probably isn't going to be a weight around your neck for years to come. If you're a floater between casual jobs then borrowing a large amount for a holiday probably isn't a wise move.

Great advice.

The only thing I'd add is;

Depends on what you want

If its just a couple of weeks it shouldn't be that hard to save up (even while a student), take a few Saturdays off.

If you want the year of backpacking then you can always pick up work in your travels (Great way to meet people).

If you want a couple of years abroad I'd recommend graduating and getting work experience in your field and then setting off.

AND..

If you have parents who are able and willing to lend you money, maybe hit them up. Paying them back is paramount though (Out of respect for yourself and them), the advantage is its likely to be interest free and extended terms.

Indonesia
Thailand
Singapore
U.S.A
Cambodia
Vietnam

Plan too add H.K, China, Japan and Taiwan in the next year or so. Europe, Africa and the Americas don't interest me at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UK
Netherlands
Denmark
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Russia
Belarus
Poland
Germany
New Zealand
Hungary
Austria
Czech Republic
Iceland
Hong Kong
France
Belgium
Switzerland
Slovenia
Italy
Slovakia
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Croatia
Canada

and by this time next week Vietnam

Iceland is the best place I've ever been. Just driving around the No 1 road is worth the plane ticket alone.

But agree with others, most countries have something that I'll find an interest in.

Hotel in Minsk had a stereotypical Soviet era bedside radio, with the added bonus of 1980 Moscow Olympics branding on it. Really, really wanted to souvenior it, but the thought of spending 15 or so years in a Belarussian prison turned me off. Would have been a great conversation piece.
Spotted while we were in traffic in Minsk

belaruspolicetractor.jpg

That's right! Police Tractor.

Now that we're mentioning best and worst

Best- Greenland, Iceland, Falklands, Mongolia (amazing places largely untouched by mankind), Nu Ziiland, Canada, Russia

Worst- Spain, France, UK, Egypt (all fail to live up to the hype), Bermuda (nothing interesting there), Kazakhstan (bit of a hole)

Greenland? Tell me more. I was extremely tempted to go there. I was in Denmark, i had checked out of my hostel and had no where to go and i was looking up for places to go and i seen a flight to Greenland that was leaving that day for 1 Euro. I didn't have the clothes for it at all, but i was tempted until i realised they were probably going to charge me an arm and a leg to get out of there too. What did you do there?

Anyone been to Faroe Islands? Would be interesting there too.

Nowhere yet, but have recently developed a thirst for travel. Doing two weeks in NZ with a few mates early next year as a starting point.

I'd love to do the west-to-east USA trip, Canada and parts of Europe. All the guys that have done months long backpacking trips, who have you gone with? Or, I've heard going on your own is just as good, if not better?

Nowhere yet, but have recently developed a thirst for travel. Doing two weeks in NZ with a few mates early next year as a starting point.

I'd love to do the west-to-east USA trip, Canada and parts of Europe. All the guys that have done months long backpacking trips, who have you gone with? Or, I've heard going on your own is just as good, if not better?
I did a Top Deck Tour this year and I went alone. The tour itself went for 27 days, then I spent two weeks in London after that before flying home. So, 6 weeks total.

Do it.

I did a Top Deck Tour this year and I went alone. The tour itself went for 27 days, then I spent two weeks in London after that before flying home. So, 6 weeks total.

Do it.

So an organised tour is the way to go? I'd like to do it with a few mates, and being early 20s you wouldn't think it would be a problem, but they're too obessed with their relationships or getting married soon. ******* idiots.

So an organised tour is the way to go? I'd like to do it with a few mates, and being early 20s you wouldn't think it would be a problem, but they're too obessed with their relationships or getting married soon. ******* idiots.
It's good to get a taste of what where you want to go if you plan on going back. Yes you're not in each country for too long, but you have accommodation, about 80% of your meals covered and travel all paid for in the cost. It's super convenient. And the people I met on tour are great, I still talk to quite a few of them.

Wouldn't even worry about it if you went by yourself. The chances you get stuck with a s**t group of people is very slim.

It's good to get a taste of what where you want to go if you plan on going back. Yes you're not in each country for too long, but you have accommodation, about 80% of your meals covered and travel all paid for in the cost. It's super convenient. And the people I met on tour are great, I still talk to quite a few of them.

Wouldn't even worry about it if you went by yourself. The chances you get stuck with a s**t group of people is very slim.
I agree, it gives you a taste (and dare I say a bit of confidence) to help you first up. It really does depend on the group. My first and only tour the group was great. Since then I've really only travelled alone or with the Mrs

I'd say "no" if it was a personal loan. You might need to either, go for a shorter time a year or two later or look at a working holiday program - but even they require evidence of funds to support yourself for a while, and the European economy isn't exactly crash-hot right now.

I wish I had been able to travel when young, but I had to save for about a month to be able to afford a bus fare from Launceston to Hobart. I was in my mid-20s by the time I got out of Tassie for the first time (and then only because I had to move to Melbourne for a job) and almost 30 before getting out of the country.

Eurail or Inter-rail passes are a good way to see Europe if the guided tour is not your style. It's not that hard to find your own accommodation and you can also travel at night to save yourself having to pay for a place to sleep.
I remember going up to Sweden on the train and travelling through four countries in one day, which as an Australian was quite a novel concept.

Japan, Germany, UK, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, France, USA, Ireland, Iceland, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Slovakia, Czech, Singapore, Thailand, China, NZ, Fiji, Vanuatu, New Caledonia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back