Four arrested in 2022 Brownlow betting investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest ' Round by Round ' 3-Vote Markets only really took off the last couple of years or so. Prior to that it was a bit of a 'niche' or 'novelty' market. Having these forums like this and having differing opinion opens up alot of things from a betting perspective. The last 2 years, betting on those markets has really opened up. eg more talks, more discussions, more betting turnover for the agencies and sometimes it can be used as a bit of a hedge if you get prices more than what you expected. The bookies this year offered betting odds pretty much on every game. I hope going into the future it isn't banned or not allowing multis Round-by-Round.( The AFL right now, could have a really strong case to ban that type of betting all together, just the Round-by-Round betting) Given whats gone on this week or so, who knows what the AFL is thinking. If you take that particular market away (round by round), there are still plenty of options on the betting menus (which could still be open up to data leaking but have a lesser scale in terms of payout to the punters). Make no mistake, when you have betting markets judging past events or events that have already occurred, it is open up to exposure for the beneficiaries. We live in different times, this isnt 1982 , 1992, 2002 or 2012. Betting is a much bigger business today, than it was back on these decades. For alot of people the Brownlow is a business. It will be one of the things we as a forum and myself personally will monitor closely in 2023 as to what type of offerings the books will give us.

I think the AFL should come clean to the public what kind of bets these guys won, the amounts won, I think it would clear alot of things on peoples mind. Ive worked in jobs in the past where they said you couldnt ever disclose information from within. (to the public) And if your the AFL, and your putting all your trust in the umpires to keep their word, they only have themselves to blame.

I think most people here would be kidding themselves, if you ever though past Brownlow counts were ever keep a 'tight secret' by the AFL fraternity over the past years and decades .

Sources familiar with some of the information under investigation...

The analyst, according to well-placed sources, was then able to review the longer-term betting histories...

...sources suggested that the detective work by the analyst was more crucial to discovering the betting trail.

wtf is this s**t?

Something about this whole thing seems fishy to me on a meta level.

Im gathering the analyst from PointsBet must have looked into alot of things , some obvious ones though: winning bets, amount of payout, timing of the bets (was it a bet placed when odds were just released), was there a similarity with other punters ?(reading the story, it seems the punters knew each other). It would be fishy if you had at least 6-7 winning bets worth thousands on round by round, chucked in with multis.

AFL and Police then followed up by looking at communication methods with umps & punters. AFL want the product of the Brownlow to be a transparent product, not a product where people who have 'first hand knowledge' of the votes, cleaning up. Thats the big thing for the AFL going ahead, to keep it in high integrity. Thats why I said a few days, the Brownlow medal counts even from prior years and future, in all bets will now have a question mark against it.

I can also speak from past experience, but last year Sportsbet capped the Round-by-Round 3-Vote markets at around $5,000 payout per game.

eg could only say get $50 @ odds of $101.00 if you thought some left-field player was going to get the 3 Votes.

Im not sure if there was ever a limit on multis though. (not from my side anyway) It would be pretty blatantly obvious to authorities if you bet on say a 3 way multi on the same players and it got up for example. (especially if it paid out in the thousands)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back