Four arrested in 2022 Brownlow betting investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone mentioned the idea of banning 'round by round games', just allowing a main OutRight Winner market,and less on excotic bets, which from my point of view is not a bad idea as it sounds.

Whether we would ever go down that track I don't know but the insider trading knowledge works best for these 'lesser ' markets.

Lol it's a terrible idea if you are a punter. What the * do we care if some bloke tries to rort the bookies with their inside info? Less markets and there would be no point for most to even bother following the brownlow

I actually think the guys that profited from the Brownlow information leaked from this particular umpire shouldn't go to jail . Im hearing up to 10 years prison could be a potential penalty. For me it was just a bit of harmless fun and wanting to get ahead of the field. That compared to things like: murder, drugs and other criminal thing such as stealing, robbery, aren't be on the same page. Its not as if bookmaker agencies ever warn customers about getting 'insider information'.

I can guarantee that over the next 100 years with this kind of betting event, and with the advancement of technology, chats, phone, social conversations , meetings that it wont be the last time you heard of it. Imagine these umps passing these kind of information at a casual party of theirs , it would be super hard to catch.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 4.08.27 pm.png

I honestly did not know that if you had 'information' from 1st person sources, you could to jail for that. Fair to say now that the integrity of the medal, has huge question marks on it.

Last edited:

The fact a bunch of us called the count out as being suss straight away should tell you all you to know. This better not get swept under the rug and all the information should be presented to the public.
This gets said every year about a leak, we don’t know s**t yet.. nah not even involve Carlton games or which rounds are involved

I actually think the guys that profited from the Brownlow information leaked from this particular umpire shouldn't go to jail . Im hearing up to 10 years prison could be a potential penalty. For me it was just a bit of harmless fun and wanting to get ahead of the field. That compared to things like: murder, drugs and other criminal thing such as stealing, robbery, aren't be on the same page. Its not as if bookmaker agencies ever warn customers about getting 'insider information'.

I can guarantee that over the next 100 years with this kind of betting event, and with the advancement of technology, chats, phone, social conversations , meetings that it wont be the last time you heard of it. Imagine these umps passing these kind of information at a casual party of theirs , it would be super hard to catch.

View attachment 1554081

I honestly did not know that if you had 'information' from 1st person sources, you could to jail for that. Fair to say now that the integrity of the medal, has huge question marks on it.

Nothing wrong with a bit of insider trading on stocks easier. Just a few smart guys trying to get in ahead of the rest.

Michael Pell has been named.. which games did he do?
Round 1: Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Round 2: Essendon v Brisbane
Round 3: GWS V Gold Coast
Round 4: Richmond v Western Bulldogs
Round 5: St.Kilda v Gold Coast
Round 6: Fremantle v Carlton
Round 7 : Adelaide v GWS
Round 8: Essendon v Hawthorn
Round 9: Sydney v Essendon
Round 10: Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
Round 11: Port Adelaide v Essendon
Round 14: West Coast v Geelong
Round 15: Port Adelaide v Gold Coast
Round 16: Gold Coast v Collingwood
Round 18: North Melbourne V Richmond
Round 20: Gold Coast v West Coast

Michael Pells games in 2022 (16 games all up)

Last edited:
Some Amon impact

Round 15, just looking at the AFL app. No mention of Amon on the match report, not even listed in Port's best. He had 26 touches, 10 tackles. No coaches votes. Rozee with the full 10 votes

Rozee has 24 and 2 goals in a 2 point win.

That cross is Amon beating Rozee 😭

Screenshot_20221114_191411_Gallery.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all would be interested to know what kind of information he leaked. The round 15 game involving Port I already had my question marks on that game on Brownlow night but do understand there can be some anomaly with votes from time-to-time.

I think as AFL fans we deserve to know that , Im sure the AFL in the next few days will come out and explain in their media conferences what kind of info he leaked. Also no doubt the AFL will look at ways on bettering their systems in keeping votes 'in-house'. I dont see a solution for it personally. Umpires have friends at the end of the day. Umpires go to social events and parties . This umpire that got caught out has had under 20 games in his career, so he probably didnt understand this his actions were wrong.

I think we all would be interested to know what kind of information he leaked. The round 15 game involving Port I already had my question marks on that game on Brownlow night but do understand there can be some anomaly with votes from time-to-time.

I think as AFL fans we deserve to know that , Im sure the AFL in the next few days will come out and explain in their media conferences what kind of info he leaked. Also no doubt the AFL will look at ways on bettering their systems in keeping votes 'in-house'. I dont see a solution for it personally. Umpires have friends at the end of the day. Umpires go to social events and parties . This umpire that got caught out has had under 20 games in his career, so he probably didnt understand this his actions were wrong.
He didn’t understand that telling his mates who he gave 3 votes to would cause trouble?
He isn’t 5 he’s an adult, he is looking at jail time.:

Round 1: Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Round 2: Essendon v Brisbane
Round 3: GWS V Gold Coast
Round 4: Richmond v Western Bulldogs PRESTIA 3 VOTES 0 COACHES VOTES
Round 5: St.Kilda v Gold Coast
Round 6: Fremantle v Carlton
Round 7 : Adelaide v GWS
Round 8: Essendon v Hawthorn
Round 9: Sydney v Essendon
Round 10: Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
Round 11: Port Adelaide v Essendon SPP 3 VOTES O COACHES VOTES
Round 14: West Coast v Geelong
Round 15: Port Adelaide v West Coast Amom 3 VOTES 0 COACHES VOTES
Round 16: Gold Coast v Collingwood
Round 18: North Melbourne V Richmond
Round 20: Gold Coast v West Coast

Michael Pells games in 2022 (16 games all up)

Round 4: Richmond v Western Bulldogs PRESTIA 3 VOTES 0 COACHES VOTES

Round 11: Port Adelaide v Essendon SPP 3 VOTES O COACHES VOTES

Round 15: Port Adelaide v West Coast Amom 3 VOTES 0 COACHES VOTES

So he umpired the Port Round 11 game where SPP got 3 votes for a 15 disposal 1.4 game. SPP not mentioned in the AFL app report or listed in the best players.

Rozee listed as Port's 2nd best with 24 and 1.1, 0 votes.
Are you saying in his 8th game as a senior umpire he told the others 2 umps that SPP was BOG and they said OK?

I doubt very much that he influenced the result i.e. gave someone 3 votes who didn't deserve it. He's the rookie umpire in the room, wouldn't have the sway.

He's clearly just told mate(s) who got the 3.

I doubt very much that he influenced the result i.e. gave someone 3 votes who didn't deserve it. He's the rookie umpire in the room, wouldn't have the sway.

He's clearly just told mate(s) who got the 3.
Exactly.

He knew SPP got the 3, prob checked that he was long odds and told the others there's some value here

f2bbd0ee-e61d-4f1c-aa02-23a3a1ae4a3d_text.gif

Exactly.

He knew SPP got the 3, prob checked that he was long odds and told the others there's some value here
Yep.

It's obviously possible this has happened before, but the ump is relying on his mates not making big bets with the info.

Are you saying in his 8th game as a senior umpire he told the others 2 umps that SPP was BOG and they said OK?

No allegations here, I have no idea what happened.

There are two games where players received zero coaches votes, not mentioned in the AFL match reports then received 3 brownlow votes.

One of the umpires involved in both matches is under investigation.

This is just what we know so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back