Four arrested in 2022 Brownlow betting investigation

Remove this Banner Ad

No allegations here, I have no idea what happened.

There are two games where players received zero coaches votes, not mentioned in the AFL match reports then received 3 brownlow votes.

One of the umpires involved in both matches is under investigation.

This is just what we know so far.
We also know that he is a rookie ump in his first season umpiring with 2 far more senior umpires.

Round 1: Hawthorn v North Melbourne
Round 2: Essendon v Brisbane
Round 3: GWS V Gold Coast
Round 4: Richmond v Western Bulldogs
Round 5: St.Kilda v Gold Coast
Round 6: Fremantle v Carlton
Round 7 : Adelaide v GWS
Round 8: Essendon v Hawthorn
Round 9: Sydney v Essendon
Round 10: Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast
Round 11: Port Adelaide v Essendon
Round 14: West Coast v Geelong
Round 15: Port Adelaide v Gold Coast
Round 16: Gold Coast v Collingwood
Round 18: North Melbourne V Richmond
Round 20: Gold Coast v West Coast

Michael Pells games in 2022 (16 games all up)

Went back and had a look at Sportsbet odds for the games Pell umpired on who polled 3 :

Rd 1: Jiath $3.50 (2nd favourite)
Rd 2: Neale $1.01
Rd 3: Green $2.90 (2nd favourite)
Rd 4: Presita $5 (3rd favourite)
Rd 5: Higgins $1.60
Rd 6: Cripps $1.08
Rd 7: Josh Kelly $1.12
Rd 8: Peter Wright $1.10
Rd 9: Mills $1.33
Rd 10: Bontempelli $1.03
Rd 11: Powell-Pepper Unquoted (Butters and Houston were $21 longest shots)
Rd 14: Cameron Guthrie $1.35
Rd 15: Amon Unquoted (with Wines the longest shot at $81). Port Adelaide v Gold Coast
Rd 16: Nick Daicos $1.65
Rd 18: Zurhaar $1.50
Rd 20: Touk Miller $1.18

Generally speaking the games Pell allocated votes (along with the other umps) he got spot on and favourites mostly got up. But if he revealed any info about those Port Adelaide games, his mates would be laughing. He only umpires those 2 Port Adelaide games in 2022 mind you.

And going through the tally he seemed to have umpired alot of Gold Coast games. (6 games all up). He would have a fairly good understanding of their tallies. (he umpired their Rd 3, 5, 10, 15, 16 and 20). Also notice at the back end of the season he doesnt get regular umpiring gigs.

Last edited:
Went back and had a look at Sportsbet odds for the games Pell umpired on who polled 3 :

Rd 15: Amon Unquoted (with Wines the longest shot at $81). Port Adelaide v Gold Coast

Generally speaking the games Pell allocated votes (along with the other umps) he got spot on and favourites mostly got up. But if he revealed any info about those Port Adelaide games, his mates would be laughing. He only umpires those 2 Port Adelaide games in 2022 mind you.

And going through the tally he seemed to have umpired alot of Gold Coast games. (6 games all up). He would have a fairly good understanding of their tallies. (he umpired their Rd 3, 5, 10, 15, 16 and 20). Also notice at the back end of the season he doesnt get regular umpiring gigs.
Yep seems pretty clear he's told his mates about SPP and Amon and they've had a crack

What's the situation with those SPP and Amon games?

They did have prices up but were smashed then taken down?

What's the situation with those SPP and Amon games?

They did have prices up but were smashed then taken down?
Well those round-by-round games, pretty sure you can bet right up until the event. Sportsbet seemed to release the odds pretty late this year (i think it was 2-3 days before the count). Generally speaking, once odds are released, the more savvy punters can get first dibs and can push prices down. With them being not even listed to bet on, you could bet on other 'exotic' markets such as : Team Handicaps, Groups and I do know that can affect multis and what not. When I say 'Unquoted' on Sportsbet, it means they werent even listed as an option to bet on for those particular Round-by-Round games.

On the Exchange (Betfair) , they had it right up until the count, in-fact if I stand to be corrected it was the first time they offered those kind of markets on their site.

Well those round-by-round games, pretty sure you can bet right up until the event. Sportsbet seemed to release the odds pretty late this year (i think it was 2-3 days before the count). Generally speaking, once odds are released, the more savvy punters can get first dibs and can push prices down. With them being not even listed to bet on, you could bet on other 'exotic' markets such as : Team Handicaps, Groups and I do know that can affect multis and what not. When I say 'Unquoted' on Sportsbet, it means they werent even listed as an option to bet on for those particular Round-by-Round games.

On the Exchange (Betfair) , they had it right up until the count, in-fact if I stand to be corrected it was the first time they offered those kind of markets on their site.

Cheers. Could you bet on SPP and Amon on Betfair for those games?

I’m just picturing him at a Barbie with his mates.
“You wouldn’t believe who these flogs( senior umps ) gave the 3 votes to “
Mates: “well tell us then”
Pell. “ Amon “
Mates “ piss off w***er”

Cheers. Could you bet on SPP and Amon on Betfair for those games?
They had about 70% of the games listed.( I didnt keep track of every game on the Exchange ) Being a new market for them this season, they listed their matches about a day out from the count. At least with an Exchange you can view on how much was bet on the market as well as the charts that they have. (id say the liquidity average range was about $2,000 matched per game as a rough estimate. ) So in that regards, its transparent and knowing how much and where the money is going is always a handy thing to know.

The other umpires are smart enough to only tell their friends who can be trusted to use the insider knowledge intelligently.

For example, use betting accounts which have a history of betting on things (winning and losing).

Peppering different brownlow markets with similar sized bets to the known winners.

No bets larger than those placed during the season.

It should be common sense.

I'm sure for most umpires it is common sense but, unfortunately for this rookie umpire, it looks like common sense isn't always so common.

Prison time? Give me a break. He and his mates ripped off sportsbet ('allegedly').

Loss of career and a public humiliation is more than sufficient imo.

Round 15, just looking at the AFL app. No mention of Amon on the match report, not even listed in Port's best. He had 26 touches, 10 tackles. No coaches votes. Rozee with the full 10 votes

Rozee has 24 and 2 goals in a 2 point win.

That cross is Amon beating Rozee 😭

View attachment 1554135

Ouch. What was the nominal payout?

Shame you aren't mates with the rookie ump in question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The other umpires are smart enough to only tell their friends who can be trusted to use the insider knowledge intelligently.

For example, use betting accounts which have a history of betting on things (winning and losing).

Peppering different brownlow markets with similar sized bets to the known winners.

No bets larger than those placed during the season.

It should be common sense.

I'm sure for most umpires it is common sense but, unfortunately for this rookie umpire, it looks like common sense isn't always so common.

Prison time? Give me a break. He and his mates ripped off sportsbet ('allegedly').

I read it was flagged because every bet they place they won..
Morons.. should have bet and lost and acted like they where chasing loses..

TAB had 3 vote game markets. If they had of just gone around to different EBT's they probably would have gotten away with it. Maybe the old black hoodie and cap cover to be super secure.

That the 'victim' was a bookie doesn't mean it's fair game, it's essentially a variant of insider trading. There's absolutely zero chance of a 3+ year prison term out of this for the umpire, and 99% chance any of the people who placed the bets won't serve prison time at all.

The umpire will likely end up with either a short sentence (>12 months) at the max end of punishment, or a suspended sentence and 200 hours community service at the shorter end. My guess is closer to the latter. Assuming he's guilty of course, everything needs to play out in court first.

Lol a variant of insider trading is the cornerstone of the entire betting scene. Good on anyone doing this sort of thing and getting away with it as far as I'm concerned

Lock them up for being brain dead morons though. Can get those types off the streets

That the 'victim' was a bookie doesn't mean it's fair game, it's essentially a variant of insider trading. There's absolutely zero chance of a 3+ year prison term out of this for the umpire, and 99% chance any of the people who placed the bets won't serve prison time at all.

The umpire will likely end up with either a short sentence (>12 months) at the max end of punishment, or a suspended sentence and 200 hours community service at the shorter end. My guess is closer to the latter. Assuming he's guilty of course, everything needs to play out in court first.

There is a 0% chance this guy is doing time even if found guilty

Sources familiar with some of the information under investigation...

The analyst, according to well-placed sources, was then able to review the longer-term betting histories...

...sources suggested that the detective work by the analyst was more crucial to discovering the betting trail.

wtf is this s**t?

Something about this whole thing seems fishy to me on a meta level.

Last edited:

Sources familiar with some of the information under investigation...

The analyst, according to well-placed sources, was then able to review the longer-term betting histories...

...sources suggested that the detective work by the analyst was more crucial to discovering the betting trail.

wtf is this s**t?

Something about this whole thing seems fishy to me on a meta level.

"The amounts bet on the “three votes” awarded in games by those involved allegedly reached up to several thousand dollars across the various betting outfits."

Idiots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back