Four or more premierships as a player.

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Joel Selwood and Isaac Smith, now with four premierships each, and I think a good chance (if they play on) to join 21 other players with five flags to their names. If Geelong do win it in 2023 then Hawkins likely moves on to the slightly longer list of players (67) with 4+ flags. There are also a number of Richmond players who could make that leap too (Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Vlastuin, Rioli, Nankervis, Prestia, Broad). I would then think that there are no other current players likely to make the list of 4+ flags, and certainly not 5+ flags.

Into the future I think it will be even harder, with possibly 20 teams fighting it out each year. I'd imagine if that is the case to win five at one club would be close to impossible, but a player might win three at one club and then two at another club. He'd just have to be in the right club at the right time... twice.

Michael Tuck
Albert Collier
Harry Collier
Ron Barassi
Frank Adams
Gordon Coventry
Robert DiPierdomenico
Chris Mew
Gary Ayres
Dermott Brereton
Charlie Hammond
Don Williams
Brian Dixon
John Beckwith
Laurie Mithen
Bob Johnson
Ian Ridley
Harold Rumley
Charlie Dibbs
Francis Bourke
Kevin Bartlett
Bruce Doull
Peter Jones
Alex Jesaulenko
Rod McGregor
Wayne Johnston
David McKay
Syd Coventry
Harry Chesswas
Frank Murphy
Bob Makeham
Percy Bowyer
Billy Libbis
Jack Beveridge
George Claydon
Bill Hutchison
Dick Reynolds
Fred Fontaine
Joel Selwood
Leigh Matthews
Chris Langford
John Kennedy
Jarryd Roughead
Cyril Rioli
Jason Dunstall
Sam Mitchell
Jordan Lewis
Luke Hodge
Grant Birchall
John Platten
Gary Buckenara
Rodney Eade
Norm Smith
Jack Mueller
Trevor Johnson
Geoff Case
John Lord
Clyde Laidlaw
Royce Hart
Dick Clay
Mike Green
Bryan Wood*
Martin Pike*
Shaun Burgoyne*
Brent Crosswell*
Mick Grace*
Isaac Smith*

* - two clubs

Geelong supporters can maybe comment here.. but why would Hawkins be retiring in the next 5 years? His main attributes strength, marking and kicking aren't ones that will degrade quickly with age.

So 2 more flags in the next 5 years and he may finish on 5

Geelong supporters can maybe comment here.. but why would Hawkins be retiring in the next 5 years? His main attributes strength, marking and kicking aren't ones that will degrade quickly with age.

This.

He’s playing for peanuts (for a player of his level) and seems perfectly content with life. He’s still the best all round stay at home forward in the game (hi there Blaisee and Falcon - still don’t think forward 50 ruckwork doesn’t matter?) and there’s nothing really stopping him from going on at least 1-2 more seasons. He’s got no interest in personal landmarks but two more seasons would get him past 800 goals as well.

Five years is a stretch but I could see three more.

Joel Selwood and Isaac Smith, now with four premierships each, and I think a good chance (if they play on) to join 21 other players with five flags to their names. If Geelong do win it in 2023 then Hawkins likely moves on to the slightly longer list of players (67) with 4+ flags. There are also a number of Richmond players who could make that leap too (Cotchin, Martin, Riewoldt, Grimes, Vlastuin, Rioli, Nankervis, Prestia, Broad). I would then think that there are no other current players likely to make the list of 4+ flags, and certainly not 5+ flags.

Into the future I think it will be even harder, with possibly 20 teams fighting it out each year. I'd imagine if that is the case to win five at one club would be close to impossible, but a player might win three at one club and then two at another club. He'd just have to be in the right club at the right time... twice.

Michael Tuck
Albert Collier
Harry Collier
Ron Barassi
Frank Adams
Gordon Coventry
Robert DiPierdomenico
Chris Mew
Gary Ayres
Dermott Brereton
Charlie Hammond
Don Williams
Brian Dixon
John Beckwith
Laurie Mithen
Bob Johnson
Ian Ridley
Harold Rumley
Charlie Dibbs
Francis Bourke
Kevin Bartlett
Bruce Doull
Peter Jones
Alex Jesaulenko
Rod McGregor
Wayne Johnston
David McKay
Syd Coventry
Harry Chesswas
Frank Murphy
Bob Makeham
Percy Bowyer
Billy Libbis
Jack Beveridge
George Claydon
Bill Hutchison
Dick Reynolds
Fred Fontaine
Joel Selwood
Leigh Matthews
Chris Langford
John Kennedy
Jarryd Roughead
Cyril Rioli
Jason Dunstall
Sam Mitchell
Jordan Lewis
Luke Hodge
Grant Birchall
John Platten
Gary Buckenara
Rodney Eade
Norm Smith
Jack Mueller
Trevor Johnson
Geoff Case
John Lord
Clyde Laidlaw
Royce Hart
Dick Clay
Mike Green
Bryan Wood*
Martin Pike*
Shaun Burgoyne*
Brent Crosswell*
Mick Grace*
Isaac Smith*

* - two clubs
Michael Tuck's incredible seven premierships may never be beaten. That's unreal.

Hawkins is certainly not looking like slowing down and with the structural support of Jezza, there’s less direct emphasis on his output (not to say his output has slowed down; rather it has been the opposite).

If his body begins to break down then that will obviously be telling on his future. But fingers crossed he stays fit and continues to have the hunger to keep playing.

I think most likely of current day players for five flags is Daniel Rioli. Only 25 years old (nine years younger than Hawkins) with three to his name. Has found a spot in the backline and plays it to AA squad level. Has signed for five more years with Richmond who should be in finals contention at the very least for most of that time. At 30 years of age he will be a free agent and could then just choose to go to a contender.

Not saying that TH isn’t a chance. I agree he could play for three more years and already think the Cats start as favourites for 2023.

This.

He’s playing for peanuts (for a player of his level) and seems perfectly content with life. He’s still the best all round stay at home forward in the game (hi there Blaisee and Falcon - still don’t think forward 50 ruckwork doesn’t matter?) and there’s nothing really stopping him from going on at least 1-2 more seasons. He’s got no interest in personal landmarks but two more seasons would get him past 800 goals as well.
Yeah, I don't see Hawk stopping anytime soon. This year was the second best return (for goals kicked) for his entire career. Some other crazy Tomahawk stats for 2022:
These are all Tom Hawkins specific statistics, comparing him to his prior seasons
2nd for total disposals
3rd for total hitouts
3rd for i50's
1st for Goal Assists
1st for 1%'ers
2nd for Marks i50
2nd for Contested Possessions
2nd for Clearances
2nd for Kicks
1st for Scoring Shots

Yes, he may be 34 but there is absolutely no reason that he wouldn't play another two to three years at a minimum. He has not played less than 18 matches in a season since 2008.

An incredibly durable player, whose position specific athletic traits are absolutely primed. He has the best Strength and Conditioning team in the land on his side too. He has every right to play 350+ games. He could very well go past Selwood and Smith's 4.

This.

5 years. 50 goals a season... just hope goal 1000 is down at GMHBA

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's 34 years old, and there aren't many players that make it past 35 let alone to 39. Not in the modern era. Players at his age can look fantastic one year, and look amateurish the following year if/when age catches up with them... particularly if they start developing soft tissue injuries.

Not trying to put the mozz on the guy... just being realistic. IMHO it'd be an insane effort to get past 2023.

5 years is a stretch. IMO he will retire end of 2024.

He'll be 35 next year and plays in a position where he needs to be physical and do lots of crash-and-bash. He doesn't obviously look to be carrying an injury, but only he would know how he feels about how much more punishment he wants his body to take.

If we're confident in Neale holding down a KPF spot, we may be able to rest/'manage' Hawkins a lot more during 2023 and beyond, so that might extend his longevity.

Michael Tuck
Albert Collier
Harry Collier
Ron Barassi
Frank Adams
Gordon Coventry
Robert DiPierdomenico
Chris Mew
Gary Ayres
Dermott Brereton
Charlie Hammond
Don Williams
Brian Dixon
John Beckwith
Laurie Mithen
Bob Johnson
Ian Ridley
Harold Rumley
Charlie Dibbs
Francis Bourke
Kevin Bartlett
Bruce Doull
Peter Jones
Alex Jesaulenko
Rod McGregor
Wayne Johnston
David McKay
Syd Coventry
Harry Chesswas
Frank Murphy
Bob Makeham
Percy Bowyer
Billy Libbis
Jack Beveridge
George Claydon
Bill Hutchison
Dick Reynolds
Fred Fontaine
Joel Selwood
Leigh Matthews
Chris Langford
John Kennedy
Jarryd Roughead
Cyril Rioli
Jason Dunstall
Sam Mitchell
Jordan Lewis
Luke Hodge
Grant Birchall
John Platten
Gary Buckenara
Rodney Eade
Norm Smith
Jack Mueller
Trevor Johnson
Geoff Case
John Lord
Clyde Laidlaw
Royce Hart
Dick Clay
Mike Green
Bryan Wood*
Martin Pike*
Shaun Burgoyne*
Brent Crosswell*
Mick Grace*
Isaac Smith*

* - two clubs
A lot of Hawks, Tigers and Carlton players on that list. And a couple of Pies from way back in the day. And throw in Melbourne too with Barassi. Good era's for all clubs obviously helps. It's amazing for me that Rodney Eade won 4 as a player. He was a little before my time. Only knew him as a coach. You would be stoked to have played in 4 flags! Interestingly Leigh Matthews only (I say only) won the 4 where he was sorta between eras at Hawthorn, both of them successful.

Also ..

Gordon Coventry played in 10 GFs with 5 losses endured

Albert Collier with his 6 includes 2 seasons out in 1931(then returning to CFC) at the height of the Great Depression. Collier left Collingwood as player/coach Cananore Football Club in Tasmania,winning the Tasmanian Southern League and Tasmanian State premiership and the William Leitch Medal.

Harry Collier played in 8 grand finals with 2 runners up results

Barassi is 6 wins / 1 loss his GF matches

Dick Reynolds played in 10 GFs winning 4

Bluey Adams’ first premiership medal saw him on the ground for only 10 seconds as he sprinted from the bench as 19th man interchange towards Collingwood’s Des Healy and crashed into him at full pace knocking both players out. Adams remained unconscious for 40 minutes before been taken to hospital.

A lot of Hawks, Tigers and Carlton players on that list. And a couple of Pies from way back in the day. And throw in Melbourne too with Barassi. Good era's for all clubs obviously helps. It's amazing for me that Rodney Eade won 4 as a player. He was a little before my time. Only knew him as a coach. You would be stoked to have played in 4 flags! Interestingly Leigh Matthews only (I say only) won the 4 where he was sorta between eras at Hawthorn, both of them successful.
I think Rodney Eade also was playing coach in Brisbane Bears only reserves premiership.
Might have been 1991 grand final.

Edit: think he had retired

That’s tough isn’t it
Think Garry Hocking is 0-4

What was Peter Moore
I assume Peter Moore played in the two 1977 grand finals
The 1979 loss to Carlton
The 1980 loss to Richmond and
the 1981 loss to Carlton.

Cruel luck in 1981 for some odd reason they decided to present medallions for runners up.
He infamously threw his one away and that was the end of that idea by the league...lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back