Review Fremantle Contest a Game in South Australia

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton peeps, come on, no one on here wants your advice, stay out

Edit: holy **** Carlton people, how can you think anyone here wants your input on umpires or anything to do with the game. Stay out or get pointed

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We shat the bed, irrespective of what AFL bias you think was part of this.

Multiple times inside the last 3 mins we had possession and all we had to do was find short chop out kicks and kill the time.

This includes our captain.

We lost our cool with the crowd noise and the frustration that was thrown at the umps should be redirected at themselves.

Hopefully it's a loss we learn from

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why clark is being praised on here once the goal was kicked the decision wasn't going to be changed no matter how bad it was.

It cost us any chance of winning.

JL will give him a clip and rightly so I reckon the umps were happy to cop it while the kick was being lined up but once the goal was kicked and they were moving back to the centre there is a time to stop and worry about your next assignment. Instead of carrying on still.
It was a dumb thing to do but I can't really blame him. And I can't get behind the narrative that his arguing is what cost us the game. His dissent never happens if the umps do their job and call the clear deflection. If the Adelaide players carried on after the goal umpire made that call last year and were then paid dissent in the goal square would anyone think that was fair?

Interesting that JL choose to highlight in his presser Jackson tapping it to the outside at that stoppage just before their winning mark and goal. It was just one of many brain dead decisions made by players in the finals minutes unfortunately.

Looking back now I am in agreement with Jl's sentiment and what some poster here have already said, we could have won without heroics, just by executing some basic footy with more composure, we really did shit the bed.

All we can hope for is the group learns something and does not repeat it on a bigger stage such as finals or "gasp" a grand final.

Last edited:
Despite the loss and crying myself to sleep upon reflection of the game I’m actually really happy with how we played. Made a couple of errors trying to be selfless inside 50 when we are a low scoring team Jackson running inside 50 should go for goal don’t pass to Fyfe he drops it and Cripps kicks a goal at the other end
Freddys dinky kick in the 3rd on the boundary that’s touched by man on mark just have a shot try get a score. And a couple of others I can’t remember off the top of my head.

Feel like this is the first time in a while we have bullied a bigger midfield and it was great to watch what a bloody battle that was just wish umpires could ping there golden boy Cripps on throwing every 2nd handball but what do we expect.

Draper felt bad for but he wasn’t horrible just completely outsized by the best fwd in the game and did a better job then anyone else could’ve.

We didn’t really have any passengers thought subbing MJ was the wrong call he actually looked quite good thought walters should’ve been subbed.

The only 3 complaints I have about this team are
1.taberner is bloody selfish and just getting in the way Tracey did the hard body work pushed his man out the way had a easy uncontested mark and tabs spoils him trying to mark it himself he’s playing like a guy trying to keep his spot in the team and just not fitting in.
2. Ethan Hughes okay defensively just does dumb shit like that holding the ball from playing on the mark know your surroundings

3. That our key fwd line being so much younger then all the top sides key defenders and it makes it hard to score goals because we don’t have the strength to wrestle them and out mark them like McKay and Curnow do . Definitely need Darcy back so Jackson can go fwd instead of tabs and hopefully can get more marks inside 50 which lead to a bigger score.

Last thing never rated Banfield but he’s been unreal this year and love his role on the wing this year so shout out to him

No media pundits gave us a chance this week. We’re obviously light on with young Draper against your two towers and we were just pipped. Umpiring what are you gonna do??? But I think we’ve shown we’re top 4 material if we keep this up.

Sydney overrated. Reckon GWS, Dees, Carlton then Freo at this moment.
I think they've shown they're "better" this season, leap-frogged 2023 to shades of 2022, but I don't know about top 4. We lack firepower. Same old story. Defense-first 'approach' seems to be J-Lo's trademark and Freo have that in spades, but it still boils down to scoring for me.

Mids to forwards connection is still an issue at times. Don't get me wrong, the game looked tight and a real tussle (from the little I saw), with opportunities very limited - first 10 mins of the first quarter and Freo were clearly holding their own. Carlton never really looked like grabbing a hold of them. Looked strong in the 'contest' (J-Lo's favourite) and they looked a bit rattled (this off what I saw in the first quarter and the dribs and drabs I saw at work...). Just a galling way to lose, but that's what it boils down to in the end - who has the composure. Freo feel like they might be coming, but not there yet. Needs more scorers. They need to be able to unlock teams as well as keep them out.

Interesting that JL choose to highlight in his presser Jackson tapping it to the outside at that stoppage just before their winning mark and goal. It was just one of many brain dead decisions made by players in the finals minutes unfortunately.
Yep, that was the type of low percentage play that drives coaches nuts when it doesn't come off.

Jackson's so frequently able to make the outrageous come off as a player. The flipside that can come with that is the odd face palm moment. Often under fatigue.

I think they've shown they're "better" this season, leap-frogged 2023 to shades of 2022, but I don't know about top 4. We lack firepower. Same old story. Defense-first 'approach' seems to be J-Lo's trademark and Freo have that in spades, but it still boils down to scoring for me.

Mids to forwards connection is still an issue at times. Don't get me wrong, the game looked tight and a real tussle (from the little I saw), with opportunities very limited - first 10 mins of the first quarter and Freo were clearly holding their own. Carlton never really looked like grabbing a hold of them. Looked strong in the 'contest' (J-Lo's favourite) and they looked a bit rattled (this off what I saw in the first quarter and the dribs and drabs I saw at work...). Just a galling way to lose, but that's what it boils down to in the end - who has the composure. Freo feel like they might be coming, but not there yet. Needs more scorers. They need to be able to unlock teams as well as keep them out.
I want to see how we go with Darcy back tbh. Last year when we got going we had that four game patch where we were the highest scoring team in the league with our triple J forward line. That worked. I don't think we expected to play Tabs at all and I don't think the synergy is there. Not to mention the difference is daylight between Tabs and Jackson once the ball hits the ground, which is something we're in dire need of with our lack of smalls.

I'm hopeful that getting that mix right will propel us back into that top 4 conversation, because our defense is phenomenal so we don't really have to improve our scoring my all that much to get us there.

I want to see how we go with Darcy back tbh. Last year when we got going we had that four game patch where we were the highest scoring team in the league with our triple J forward line. That worked. I don't think we expected to play Tabs at all and I don't think the synergy is there. Not to mention the difference is daylight between Tabs and Jackson once the ball hits the ground, which is something we're in dire need of with our lack of smalls.

I'm hopeful that getting that mix right will propel us back into that top 4 conversation, because our defense is phenomenal so we don't really have to improve our scoring my all that much to get us there.
Yes I keep forgetting abut Darcy, they did train that way all summer with the structure designed around the Triple J tall 'threat'. Darcy will be pretty rusty though as he's had a limited pre-season. I just feel some our pressure forwards are very much focused on that job and we still lack a bit up forward. Maybe some goals from our mids too, although Sharp looks like a goal-scoring winger which is cool. That being said, it was clearly a tight game on neutral soil and I think we proved a lot of people wrong who maybe predicted Carlton would thump us or we wouldn't get close to a win. It took some very dodgy moments and a lack of composure from a young group to get them over the line. I think Jackson looks a bit fatigued with the workload of being ruck and 'mega-star forward' so Darcy coming back is timely. It will definitely help. And yes, our defense without Cox there is ridiculous, no qualms there

And he commented that it only brushed AIsh's hair, no comment about deflection off the upper arm. He is a clown.
I don't hate anyone because for me hate is such a waste of emotion - but Cornes comes pretty close. I actively avoid any media circus shows with that dickwad on. And his goon friends, they're invidious and rarely try to hide it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve pretty much given up tbh.

I was mad in 2020 or whenever it was but it’s just so expected now and there’s nothing we can do about it. Really sucks.

That was a terrible game to watch, both because it was a slog and also from a Freo perspective a shithouse ending.

Several things stick out to me about this which others have also noted.

1. Carlton mids were more effective in the last 5 minutes when we really needed a clearance and free possession to ice the game. They are bigger, older and more experienced as a group and I think that is partially why they are able to. We have the cattle on the list though.

2. Darcy is a better ruck than Jackson and that feeds into point 1. It just boggles my mind that people still think we shouldn't play both. Especially Jackson's strength being allowed a bit of freedom to roam.

3. Forward line still developing. Amiss is young will be up and down. Treacys hands still hard. Also young.

4. Number 1 list need is those players that fill that outside mid/Forward flank spot that can both kick the goals themselves as well as deliver inside 50 effectively. It is not Logan McDonald (although I think he's better than the current board gestalt thinks he is). Simpson could be one of those players but really we need more than one.

5. Sharp what a ****ing good pickup. We'd be so cooked without him on the wing

Worried about Amiss, he doesn’t have the big game fire that champion players have from day 1
Big game fire? But as 18 year old came back early from serious kidney damage to put his hand up to play finals footy. He’s played in about 4 ‘Big’ games, as a club we haven’t played many in his time & he doesn’t play the Wayne Carey role.

"yeah the call was completely incorrect and we ****ed up but how dare Jordan Clark call as out for being wrong thats abusive"

Exactly. It's kafkaesque. To literally kill the game as soon as the lead changed, over dissent when
1. that rule has been ignored all year
2. the umpire literally did make the wrong call

That we shat the bed when it come to managing the last 3 minutes doesn't change the fact that if the game was adjudicated correctly we would most likely be waking up to the sunday morning glow of a win instead of wallowing in the misery of once again being completely shafted

"yeah the call was completely incorrect and we ****ed up but how dare Jordan Clark call as out for being wrong thats abusive"
and that's the thing, Jordan isn't verbally "abusive" if in the heat of the moment he's not so incensed by the situation. I know J-Lo says the group should have kept their cool, but in the heat of battle...and it was a battle all day. We knew we were going close and 4-0 takes this group forward A LOT!

I'm sick of these umps coming out post-game and 'admitting' they got it wrong and there's zero accountability. Oh well, that's fine then. Let's just all waltz on by. It happened with the Crows last year, no?! Cost them their Finals spot. Umps 'admit' they got it wrong. This sport is very trying at times...

I know no one is perfect and it's 100% human fallibility, but it's deflating and demoralizing when it occurs too often and it clearly needs to be rectified.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back